The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Anemic?

Forums General Melanoma Community Anemic?

Participant
      I appreciate your support. We are ruling things out which is making me more nervous. My recent blood work came back as being anemic which is the first time in 35 years! Now my oncologist is starting to think that we do need a PET scan. She said that although rare I could have a tumor somewhere that could possibly be bleeding which could have caused my stroke. The infectious disease people ruled out viral and bacterial infections. We have ruled out everything. I feel like melanoma is the elephant in the room. What a challenging two months mentally.

I appreciate your support. We are ruling things out which is making me more nervous. My recent blood work came back as being anemic which is the first time in 35 years! Now my oncologist is starting to think that we do need a PET scan. She said that although rare I could have a tumor somewhere that could possibly be bleeding which could have caused my stroke. The infectious disease people ruled out viral and bacterial infections. We have ruled out everything. I feel like melanoma is the elephant in the room. What a challenging two months mentally.

Viewing 7 reply threads
    • Replies
        BrianP
        Participant

Isabell,

It sounds like you've had just about every test done on you so I'm sure you've probably had this as well but I'd thought I would ask.  Have you been tested for blood in your stool?  Your anemic symptom leads me to ask this.  That was how I first presented after my melanoma spread.  As I found outthrough my experience it can be pretty tough to find melanoma in the GI tract even with Pet and CT Scans.  I eventually found mine by endoscopy.  Not sure how a GI tract melanoma metastasis could lead to a stroke but if you haven't had the test it may be worth considering.

Brian

BrianP
          Participant

Isabell,

It sounds like you've had just about every test done on you so I'm sure you've probably had this as well but I'd thought I would ask.  Have you been tested for blood in your stool?  Your anemic symptom leads me to ask this.  That was how I first presented after my melanoma spread.  As I found outthrough my experience it can be pretty tough to find melanoma in the GI tract even with Pet and CT Scans.  I eventually found mine by endoscopy.  Not sure how a GI tract melanoma metastasis could lead to a stroke but if you haven't had the test it may be worth considering.

Brian

BrianP
            Participant

Isabell,

Brian

Everymoment
              Participant

Hi Brian,

I have not been tested for blood in my stool. This is a new one. My CT/MRI have only been of my head/chest because the syptoms and issues were issolated to my head, or so we all thought. Having a stroke you look for things around the stroke but it appears that something far away could have caused it. When I meet with everyone this week I'm going to ask that we approach this in multiple ways. I want a PET/CT and I will talk to them about this too. 

I feel so niave. I should have been more agressive getting scans and demanding more over the past several years. I think it's about to catch up with me which really sucks!

Thanks for your thoughts.

Isabell

JerryfromFauq
                Participant

In response to your question is chat.

http://www.mdanderson.org/newsroom/news-releases/2005/07-11-05-potent-spice-works-to-block-growth-of-melanoma-in-lab-test-news-release.html

I take 500-1000 units a day.

I do recommend that anyone taking any form of treatments and supplements be sure how they will interact.  Some forms of treatment use oxidents to get into the tumor cells.  Huge doses of anti-oxidents can interfere with delivery of those meds.  Things that help cut inflamation are generaly pretty useful.

JerryfromFauq
                  Participant

http://www.mdanderson.org/newsroom/news-releases/2005/07-11-05-potent-spice-works-to-block-growth-of-melanoma-in-lab-test-news-release.html

I do recommend that anyone taking any form of treatments and supplements be sure how they will interact.  Some forms of treatment use oxidents to get into the tumor cells.  Huge doses of anti-oxidents can interfere with delivery of those meds.  Things that help cut inflamation are generaly pretty useful.

JerryfromFauq
                    Participant

Everymoment
                      Participant
                        Hi,
                        Thank you for this information. I will follow-up on it:)
                        Isabell
                        Everymoment
                        Participant

Hi Brian,

I have not been tested for blood in my stool. This is a new one. My CT/MRI have only been of my head/chest because the syptoms and issues were issolated to my head, or so we all thought. Having a stroke you look for things around the stroke but it appears that something far away could have caused it. When I meet with everyone this week I'm going to ask that we approach this in multiple ways. I want a PET/CT and I will talk to them about this too. 

I feel so niave. I should have been more agressive getting scans and demanding more over the past several years. I think it's about to catch up with me which really sucks!

Isabell

Everymoment
                          Participant

Hi Brian,

Isabell

Everymoment
                            Participant
                              Hi,
                              Isabell
                              Everymoment
                              Participant
                                Hi,
                                Isabell
                            Viewing 7 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics