The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Anemia on keydruda

Forums General Melanoma Community Anemia on keydruda

Participant

Anyone who as had anemia when on keydruda. What did they have to treat it and did they continue treatment .

Scooby ❤️

Viewing 0 reply threads
    • Replies
        cancersnewnormal
        Participant

B12 and yes, treatment continued

Scooby123
            Participant

Hi niki ,

how many shots of b12 did you have at start and how many now. For some reason I have had one injection then had blood transfusion. I said about more b12 and check blood if changed. Seem am having to fight my corner with the b12 injections. 

Scooby❤️

cancersnewnormal
              Participant

My family physician put me on iron pills initially. It wasn't helping and they made my stomach really upset. Sooooo… I turned to "Dr Google" and started taking B12. Between my multi-vit, my B complex, and my B12 tabs, I was at about 1150 mcg daily. My blood labs normalized again, my heart rate calmed down, I had energy. Oye.  Sometimes your body just will not absorb it. You could be in a permanent situation with the need for B12 injections, if high dose oral supplements don't cut it. Also learned that low folic acid can cause anemia issues. Things improved a little after Keytruda infusions stopped. It took about 8 months, but now I cut back the 1000 mcg B12 supplements to every other day. 

cancersnewnormal
                Participant

Interesting info about low folate. —

You have certain diseases of the lower digestive tract, such as celiac disease. This type of anemia also occurs in people with cancer.

You take certain medicines, such as some used for seizures.

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/healthlibrary/conditions/hematology_and_blood_disorders/anemia_of_folate_deficiency_85,P00089

While the Keytruda didn't cause a diagnosed case of colitis, I most definitely had diarrhea… the ENTIRE time I was on it… and for months following stoppage. I know this caused a number of nutrient absorption issues. I'm also on Keppra, and have been since the get go of stage IV diagnosis. It's a wonder that we don't see more anemic patients… what with all the folks on immunotherapies and taking keppra for the history of brain mets. Hmmmmm. Maybe it's just underreported at this time.

Curious though… what are your RDW numbers like on your blood labs? Mine always skew juuuuuuust inside the high end at 14 or 15. Although during active treatments, I was lucky to keep them under the 16-18 mark. High RDW shows a greater variance in blood cell sizes…… also a symptom of low folate anemia. Perhaps check into supplementing that along with your B12??? 

Scooby123
                  Participant

Hi Niki am not sure , my hemaglobin fell from 91 to 71 in two weeks. I have pushed for b12 to be checked again . I said to the consultant I saw that treatment can cause anemia but at first said it could not despite what I said. She went away came back and said oh yes it can. Plan now is to have camera checks for bleed. Scans due and having bloods done again on Monday to see if red blood count stayed same. I am away abroad next week so hoping all is ok I do not want to feel like I did again. I have only had one injection of b12 so far 2 weeks ago. Feel I need more and iron tablets to get on top of things. My treatment Monday is not going a head due to me going away and if treatment drops my blood again. Will check folate with them.

Thanks for your help

scooby❤️

Viewing 0 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics