The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

An after hours chat?

Forums General Melanoma Community An after hours chat?

Participant

Carole K suckered me into participating in the "all new and improved chat feature" that has has been set up w/this website.  The only problem is that some people came in and dominated the whole room and ignore the patients (reason when I first signed in under a pseudonym I found it to be completely useless).  Just a thought, rather than being a whiner, could the computer people set up "after hours" for chat with no moderator where anything goes?

Carole K suckered me into participating in the "all new and improved chat feature" that has has been set up w/this website.  The only problem is that some people came in and dominated the whole room and ignore the patients (reason when I first signed in under a pseudonym I found it to be completely useless).  Just a thought, rather than being a whiner, could the computer people set up "after hours" for chat with no moderator where anything goes? then earlier new patients could get the information and support they need, later on, old timers retirees, housewives and the like could chat and catch up if they so desire.  To confess I realized that I was dominating after a few minutes of catching up with people I hadn't contacted in a while and newbies who didn't feel comfortable weren't responding,  since this website is set up for support of patients, shouldn't that be a priority?

Not trying to start a fight here, will not respond if you are trying to wind this into a big debate.  Just trying to help.

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

The only problem with your suggestion is no one will show up for the normal chat — just as it is now.  People who used to be in chat a lot do try and help any newcomer in there.  I'm sorry your experience was less than stellar.  Others would say differently.  But if you have no oldtimers hanging around in there, who do you think is going to answer a newcomer's questions?  And if you have oldtimers there and they are just supposed to answer questions only and there is no one new in there, are they just supposed to be silent?  Your idea, in theory, is great.  In reality though, it won't work.  Chat is a fast moving free-for-all and all questions should be answered.  Some can't handle that multiple conversations are ongoing.  Some can't handle the pace if there are more than one or two in the room.  As I see it, the only way your method will work is if you hire a moderator to answer questions and have them available at specific times.  But then you miss the input of all the people who have gone through many different treatments and experiences – and that has always been what made chat a good place to be. 

This is just my 2 cents.

Janner

Janner
          Participant

The only problem with your suggestion is no one will show up for the normal chat — just as it is now.  People who used to be in chat a lot do try and help any newcomer in there.  I'm sorry your experience was less than stellar.  Others would say differently.  But if you have no oldtimers hanging around in there, who do you think is going to answer a newcomer's questions?  And if you have oldtimers there and they are just supposed to answer questions only and there is no one new in there, are they just supposed to be silent?  Your idea, in theory, is great.  In reality though, it won't work.  Chat is a fast moving free-for-all and all questions should be answered.  Some can't handle that multiple conversations are ongoing.  Some can't handle the pace if there are more than one or two in the room.  As I see it, the only way your method will work is if you hire a moderator to answer questions and have them available at specific times.  But then you miss the input of all the people who have gone through many different treatments and experiences – and that has always been what made chat a good place to be. 

This is just my 2 cents.

Janner

jag
              Participant

I see what your saying, and you do have a point.  I have to admit it is good to see more activity on the board and in the chat room-some support is better than no support at all.  In an ideal world, everybody would know everything and would be supportive, and medical expenses wouldn't cost a dime.  Unfortunately, we are living on planet melanoma.

jag
                Participant

I see what your saying, and you do have a point.  I have to admit it is good to see more activity on the board and in the chat room-some support is better than no support at all.  In an ideal world, everybody would know everything and would be supportive, and medical expenses wouldn't cost a dime.  Unfortunately, we are living on planet melanoma.

jag
                  Participant

Janner
                  Participant

This is just my 2 cents.

Janner

dian in spokane
                    Participant

John..we long time chatters understand what you are saying. But Jan is right. Believe me, after some people complained so much around here that chat died.. I sat in there night after night alone. Just so I could answer a few questions by some newbie who might see me in there and come in.

It's not often that chat is full of so many oldtimers, or even newcomers, all those people came out for Carole. So it's more often two or three people sitting around talking about what kind of flooring to put in, or their daughter's wedding. But people greet a new person, and if and when the talk needs to turn to melanoma, it does.

And, hey..guess what. it doesnt' have to! There have been times during my many many years in chat, that I just couldn't sleep and got up and went into the chat room. Not because I wanted to talk about melanoma, but because I wanted to STOP thinking about melanoma. I can't even count how many middle of the night hours I spent making jokes in chat with people who feel the same. Sometmies, a melanoma patient wants to NOT THINK ABOUT DYING.

Support is not always about talking about the disease. If I happen to have a guy in there that wants to talk about how he got to spend the day playing baseball with his twin 8 yr old boys..because deep down he thinks he won't live to see them turn 9, then dammit, we'll be talking baseball. The next person who walks in may think it is TOTALLY OFF TOPIC..but it ain't.

Still.. I understand what you mean about people, especially newcomers who are not used to the fast moving typing, might get lost and feel overwhelmed in there. or left out.

For instance…I was in there the other night, and the room was full of people I knew and some I didn't and all of them started asking about my doctor's appt. But there was another conversation going on, with someone who was stage I and asking questions, and as I was answering questions, I felt like she was getting left behind. BUT..when I apologized to her for 'hogging the room' LIBBY told me that she had taken this woman aside for a private chat. Since she felt fully capable of answering my questions.

So see…that's where someone like YOU comes in dude! If the room is moving too fast, is too off topic, too much laughing, (God Forbid) then there's the capability to open another room go to one on one chat.. so that an individual, like libby, (or you) can help that person one on one.

But Jan's right. If the people who are dedicated to chatting, and being around to help newcomers get their questions answered have to talk about nothing but melanoma while they wait for the devastated newcomer to walk in, well, no one will stay.

We can give it a try..come on in and we'll talk about nothing but YOUR melanoma, and see how long it takes till you get tired of that sh*t (let's make a date for that john, I know ~I~ can talk about nothing but myself for hours, let's see how long YOU can do it ..but remember, no talking about the family,,job, kids, music, no getting to know each other)

I found chat very helpful the other night. I came in and wanted to talk about IL2 and the room was FULL of long term stage 4 survivors. I got a ton of great information. But after an hour, I dont' even want to talk about it anymore…and I am in the thick of it! Imagine what it's like to have 6 people in the room, all stage 3 or 4, all doing welll…stable or NED for years (not me anymore) .. you think that group of people wants to talk melanoma for two hours while we wait for someone to come in and say 'my husband found out today he has tumors in his liver'?? what would we even be saying to each other during this waiting time?

All that aside..let's look at your 'after hours' chat. Is that supposed to be for the 'house wives' or the 'patients' Because..for the last year or so, seems like there have been NO chats..it's not like the 'housewives' are interfering with the 'patients'

you could organize this patient-only-information chat. I wouldn't shoot for every night at first, but I say..give it a try for ONE night a week. You can be the moderator, since I'm sure you'll not get anyone at MRF to do it. Arrange for some experts. Pick a time, advertise it heavily on the main board. You'll be lucky to get enough folks to show at first, but if you keep at it, you might build it into something. Maybe even have topic nights, special guest doctors

I'd be happy to see it happen, and will even come on in to help you answer queries if you feel like I have enough knowledge, bet jan will too. And if she and I feel like exchanging any housewifery pleasantries, we will use the private messaging.

If this is the kind of chat you want, you should make it happen. We laughing housewives who dominate the conversation will be happy to choose a different night or time to have our unmoderated free for alls. That chat room is there 24/7, so no reason there can't be 10 chats a day. There is room for BOTH kinds of chat

Good luck, let us biddies know if we can do anything to help you out with this chat project. And I am serious John, I am NOT trying to start a fight or wind up a big debate. I'm sure I am not the only biddy who is ON BOARD and will help you with this chat idea. …although, the topic of this thread might be misleading.. you don't want this Info based chat to be late night right? you want the off topic ones to be late night? I say we just…alternate nights. Or, you know..the fluffers just stay away on the on topic nights..something like that.

dian

dian in spokane
                      Participant

John..we long time chatters understand what you are saying. But Jan is right. Believe me, after some people complained so much around here that chat died.. I sat in there night after night alone. Just so I could answer a few questions by some newbie who might see me in there and come in.

It's not often that chat is full of so many oldtimers, or even newcomers, all those people came out for Carole. So it's more often two or three people sitting around talking about what kind of flooring to put in, or their daughter's wedding. But people greet a new person, and if and when the talk needs to turn to melanoma, it does.

And, hey..guess what. it doesnt' have to! There have been times during my many many years in chat, that I just couldn't sleep and got up and went into the chat room. Not because I wanted to talk about melanoma, but because I wanted to STOP thinking about melanoma. I can't even count how many middle of the night hours I spent making jokes in chat with people who feel the same. Sometmies, a melanoma patient wants to NOT THINK ABOUT DYING.

Support is not always about talking about the disease. If I happen to have a guy in there that wants to talk about how he got to spend the day playing baseball with his twin 8 yr old boys..because deep down he thinks he won't live to see them turn 9, then dammit, we'll be talking baseball. The next person who walks in may think it is TOTALLY OFF TOPIC..but it ain't.

Still.. I understand what you mean about people, especially newcomers who are not used to the fast moving typing, might get lost and feel overwhelmed in there. or left out.

For instance…I was in there the other night, and the room was full of people I knew and some I didn't and all of them started asking about my doctor's appt. But there was another conversation going on, with someone who was stage I and asking questions, and as I was answering questions, I felt like she was getting left behind. BUT..when I apologized to her for 'hogging the room' LIBBY told me that she had taken this woman aside for a private chat. Since she felt fully capable of answering my questions.

So see…that's where someone like YOU comes in dude! If the room is moving too fast, is too off topic, too much laughing, (God Forbid) then there's the capability to open another room go to one on one chat.. so that an individual, like libby, (or you) can help that person one on one.

But Jan's right. If the people who are dedicated to chatting, and being around to help newcomers get their questions answered have to talk about nothing but melanoma while they wait for the devastated newcomer to walk in, well, no one will stay.

We can give it a try..come on in and we'll talk about nothing but YOUR melanoma, and see how long it takes till you get tired of that sh*t (let's make a date for that john, I know ~I~ can talk about nothing but myself for hours, let's see how long YOU can do it ..but remember, no talking about the family,,job, kids, music, no getting to know each other)

I found chat very helpful the other night. I came in and wanted to talk about IL2 and the room was FULL of long term stage 4 survivors. I got a ton of great information. But after an hour, I dont' even want to talk about it anymore…and I am in the thick of it! Imagine what it's like to have 6 people in the room, all stage 3 or 4, all doing welll…stable or NED for years (not me anymore) .. you think that group of people wants to talk melanoma for two hours while we wait for someone to come in and say 'my husband found out today he has tumors in his liver'?? what would we even be saying to each other during this waiting time?

All that aside..let's look at your 'after hours' chat. Is that supposed to be for the 'house wives' or the 'patients' Because..for the last year or so, seems like there have been NO chats..it's not like the 'housewives' are interfering with the 'patients'

you could organize this patient-only-information chat. I wouldn't shoot for every night at first, but I say..give it a try for ONE night a week. You can be the moderator, since I'm sure you'll not get anyone at MRF to do it. Arrange for some experts. Pick a time, advertise it heavily on the main board. You'll be lucky to get enough folks to show at first, but if you keep at it, you might build it into something. Maybe even have topic nights, special guest doctors

I'd be happy to see it happen, and will even come on in to help you answer queries if you feel like I have enough knowledge, bet jan will too. And if she and I feel like exchanging any housewifery pleasantries, we will use the private messaging.

If this is the kind of chat you want, you should make it happen. We laughing housewives who dominate the conversation will be happy to choose a different night or time to have our unmoderated free for alls. That chat room is there 24/7, so no reason there can't be 10 chats a day. There is room for BOTH kinds of chat

Good luck, let us biddies know if we can do anything to help you out with this chat project. And I am serious John, I am NOT trying to start a fight or wind up a big debate. I'm sure I am not the only biddy who is ON BOARD and will help you with this chat idea. …although, the topic of this thread might be misleading.. you don't want this Info based chat to be late night right? you want the off topic ones to be late night? I say we just…alternate nights. Or, you know..the fluffers just stay away on the on topic nights..something like that.

dian

dian in spokane
                        Participant

dian

jag
                            Participant

Well, there you are Dian, I started writing a post to you on the main board about lung radiation and Allen Carr, and I was hoping you would get to talk to him about his experience(it got erased I'm pretty sure-new laptop has a very touchy mouse) and then I looked at who was in chat the other night and there you guys were.  You are right about all of the old timers chiming in being a good thing.  The thing that threw me off the other night was somebody taking me into a private chat and getting all gossipy about somebody else there.  Didn't want to start going back down that path all over again-I just left.  

Change is a good thing.

As Joycelin would say, 

"carry on"

jag
                              Participant

Well, there you are Dian, I started writing a post to you on the main board about lung radiation and Allen Carr, and I was hoping you would get to talk to him about his experience(it got erased I'm pretty sure-new laptop has a very touchy mouse) and then I looked at who was in chat the other night and there you guys were.  You are right about all of the old timers chiming in being a good thing.  The thing that threw me off the other night was somebody taking me into a private chat and getting all gossipy about somebody else there.  Didn't want to start going back down that path all over again-I just left.  

Change is a good thing.

As Joycelin would say, 

"carry on"

dian in spokane
                                Participant

Well, you must be Mr Popular, I'm sure it's a badge of honored to be pulled into a private chat to gossip…no one ever does that to me. Probably just because of your previous notoriety..maybe someone recognizes you as someone who might be INTO stirring up some sh*t!! (please note, I am not really yelling.. I use those CAPS for emphasis)

But John, the past is the past. Fuggetibout gossip. You could be a great asset in any melanoma chat. Chat helps build bonds among the people on this board who have a common enemy. And frankly, over the years, you had a lot to do with smashing some of those bonds, so it would be a Mitzvah for you to put in some chat time. And I even like your idea of having more focused, disease specific chats.

And now it sounds to me like maybe it wasn't the actual chat room action that bothered you, but some behind the scenes thing? You can always ignore a private window, or just say 'I don't want to gossip' Though…if you hang out in chat for as little as a month of evenings, there WILL come a time when you want to lean over to someone else and say 'what a putz'

I know you have said that you know some people who have complained about not being helped in chat, but whenever I take a break and come back, like this last week, people come in and talk nostaligically about how much that room helped them during times of sadness, fear, and even boredom.

I'd love to have that chat room come back revived, especially now that I really need it myself!

dian

dian in spokane
                                  Participant

Well, you must be Mr Popular, I'm sure it's a badge of honored to be pulled into a private chat to gossip…no one ever does that to me. Probably just because of your previous notoriety..maybe someone recognizes you as someone who might be INTO stirring up some sh*t!! (please note, I am not really yelling.. I use those CAPS for emphasis)

But John, the past is the past. Fuggetibout gossip. You could be a great asset in any melanoma chat. Chat helps build bonds among the people on this board who have a common enemy. And frankly, over the years, you had a lot to do with smashing some of those bonds, so it would be a Mitzvah for you to put in some chat time. And I even like your idea of having more focused, disease specific chats.

And now it sounds to me like maybe it wasn't the actual chat room action that bothered you, but some behind the scenes thing? You can always ignore a private window, or just say 'I don't want to gossip' Though…if you hang out in chat for as little as a month of evenings, there WILL come a time when you want to lean over to someone else and say 'what a putz'

I know you have said that you know some people who have complained about not being helped in chat, but whenever I take a break and come back, like this last week, people come in and talk nostaligically about how much that room helped them during times of sadness, fear, and even boredom.

I'd love to have that chat room come back revived, especially now that I really need it myself!

dian

dian in spokane
                                    Participant

dian

jag
                                      Participant

Change is a good thing.

As Joycelin would say, 

"carry on"

MarieM
                                      Participant

John,  I agree with EVERYTHING Dian said. The chat room (I think, I'm never here anymore) is a dead place. I was only there one night this week, and many times (AS ALWAYS) people who did not know the others were asked if they had any questions, please jump in. MANY TIMES. We may be a bunch of laughing housewife biddies, but we are generally POLITE and try to be HELPFUL to ANYONE who asks. I don't even believe you were there and ASKED a question and wasn't answered. In my short time there, besides the usual housewifey/old biddy stuff…we talked in depth about IL2, side effects, althernate treatments and the side effect of  peripheral neuropathy. Your post is completely UNVALID. I think it's actually sad that the people here don't have the unvbelievable support that was here a couple of years ago. You should be encouraging instead of NIT PICKING, None of the OlD BIDDIES were nit picking that I can remember.

An old tramp-stampless Biddy…

MarieM
                                        Participant

John,  I agree with EVERYTHING Dian said. The chat room (I think, I'm never here anymore) is a dead place. I was only there one night this week, and many times (AS ALWAYS) people who did not know the others were asked if they had any questions, please jump in. MANY TIMES. We may be a bunch of laughing housewife biddies, but we are generally POLITE and try to be HELPFUL to ANYONE who asks. I don't even believe you were there and ASKED a question and wasn't answered. In my short time there, besides the usual housewifey/old biddy stuff…we talked in depth about IL2, side effects, althernate treatments and the side effect of  peripheral neuropathy. Your post is completely UNVALID. I think it's actually sad that the people here don't have the unvbelievable support that was here a couple of years ago. You should be encouraging instead of NIT PICKING, None of the OlD BIDDIES were nit picking that I can remember.

jag
                                            Participant

Sorry Marie, you are right.  I should just keep quiet and let chat grow, As for all of your capitalization, do you realize that is considered shouting on the internet?  If that is what you intended, then remember that there are actual cancer patients around here, and they deserve a little peace and quiet.  Please be respectful-and remember no cell phones either.

MarieM
                                              Participant

oops….you are right. no captials. no shouting. no cellphones. got it. oh…and i can't type too fast in chat. i get reprimanded for that too. got it. thanks. (i didn't mean to shout, sorry).

MarieM
                                                Participant

oops….you are right. no captials. no shouting. no cellphones. got it. oh…and i can't type too fast in chat. i get reprimanded for that too. got it. thanks. (i didn't mean to shout, sorry).

MarieM
                                                  Participant

BillMFl
                                                    Participant

STFU!!!! I WILL SHOUT ANYTIME I WANT TO!!!  DO YOU HEAR ME NOW?  SLAP SLAP DID YOU FEEL THAT TOO?

HAHA  MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING ๐Ÿ™‚

BillMFl
                                                      Participant

STFU!!!! I WILL SHOUT ANYTIME I WANT TO!!!  DO YOU HEAR ME NOW?  SLAP SLAP DID YOU FEEL THAT TOO?

BillMFl
                                                        Participant

jag
                                                          Participant

Sorry Marie, you are right.  I should just keep quiet and let chat grow, As for all of your capitalization, do you realize that is considered shouting on the internet?  If that is what you intended, then remember that there are actual cancer patients around here, and they deserve a little peace and quiet.  Please be respectful-and remember no cell phones either.

jag
                                                            Participant

MarieM
                                                            Participant

Carole K
                                                              Participant

John,  my apologies if you felt I suckered you into going to chat. That was not my intent at all. My intent was to hoepfully get chat back to what it once was a long time ago.  Yes, we all went to chat and "just chatted". WE all need that.  At times the conversations going on had nothing to do with Melanoma, it was more for support or getting someotn to have a good laugh. It wa a time to share our fears and our dreams. It worked and I was hoping to get that back forthe patients on the board,

The chat policy has always been chat all you want but when a new person comes in ,e veryone stops and allows the new person to share. That being said, ……

You are absolutley right there are people who come in and TAKE OVER , IGNORING THE NEEDS OF PATIENTS.  Thjese people are self absorbed not caring about others,  How do we correct this?  Maybe having a moderator or setting up as you say After hours chat for just chatting. 

I have alwasys felt there should be times in chat for patients, times for caegivers and time for children ( which sadly would be difficult to weed out the not s onice people who may lurk the site).  There are times I as a patient needed to VENT.. There are times our CAREGIVERS need to vent and there are times our children, who are petrified also need support. 

Becasue of chat many of us have met. WE organzied get togethers in ASheville two years in a row, Orlando, Michigan, Dallas. This was all so that we coulld meet in person, have a few laughs and build Memories . 

John, you have always been and will alwasy be MY HERO,  Not sure you realize how much you have given back to the Melanoma Community,   I just wanted your input with people going through very difficult times.  I do hope you will come back.

Love and Light

CArole K

Carole K
                                                                Participant

John,  my apologies if you felt I suckered you into going to chat. That was not my intent at all. My intent was to hoepfully get chat back to what it once was a long time ago.  Yes, we all went to chat and "just chatted". WE all need that.  At times the conversations going on had nothing to do with Melanoma, it was more for support or getting someotn to have a good laugh. It wa a time to share our fears and our dreams. It worked and I was hoping to get that back forthe patients on the board,

The chat policy has always been chat all you want but when a new person comes in ,e veryone stops and allows the new person to share. That being said, ……

You are absolutley right there are people who come in and TAKE OVER , IGNORING THE NEEDS OF PATIENTS.  Thjese people are self absorbed not caring about others,  How do we correct this?  Maybe having a moderator or setting up as you say After hours chat for just chatting. 

I have alwasys felt there should be times in chat for patients, times for caegivers and time for children ( which sadly would be difficult to weed out the not s onice people who may lurk the site).  There are times I as a patient needed to VENT.. There are times our CAREGIVERS need to vent and there are times our children, who are petrified also need support. 

Becasue of chat many of us have met. WE organzied get togethers in ASheville two years in a row, Orlando, Michigan, Dallas. This was all so that we coulld meet in person, have a few laughs and build Memories . 

John, you have always been and will alwasy be MY HERO,  Not sure you realize how much you have given back to the Melanoma Community,   I just wanted your input with people going through very difficult times.  I do hope you will come back.

Love and Light

CArole K

Carole K
                                                                  Participant

Love and Light

CArole K

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics