The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Amelanotic Melanoma

Forums General Melanoma Community Amelanotic Melanoma

Participant

Timeline of my husband's melanoma journey:

10/13/15  Diagnosed with amelanotic melanoma, Stage 2B

10/14/15  CT chest lungs clear

10/19/15 Sentinel node & wide excision. Stage 3C

8 mm deep, BRAF, wild type, 4 of 5 axillary lymph nodes pos/removed

10/30/15 first oncology visit.."it has prob mets to your brain; you need to go to Vanderbilt"

11/09/15 MRI brain clear

11/12/15 PET scan clear

11/16/15 Vanderbilt visit; offerred Yervoy/Interferon trial

11/18/15 Made appt @ MD Anderson

11/20/15 2nd oncology visit. Yervoy approved 10/28/15 for Stage 3. Will begin that.

12/09/15 First Yervoy tx. Cancelled MDA appt

12/30/15 No more Yervoy due to Grade 3 derm reaction

01/19/16 Melanoma lesion reocurrs in surgical scar; biospsy

01/22/16 Biopsey results confirm- lesion is melanoma

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        jamieth29
        Participant
          Sorry for everything that has happened. What are your next steps? Surgical excision of reccurance? Probably not a bad idea to see if they can scan you again. Even though insurance will only pay for scans at a 3 or 4 month intervals since you have had relapse they will usually allow another scan.
          jamieth29
          Participant
            Sorry for everything that has happened. What are your next steps? Surgical excision of reccurance? Probably not a bad idea to see if they can scan you again. Even though insurance will only pay for scans at a 3 or 4 month intervals since you have had relapse they will usually allow another scan.
              Stlmag
              Participant

PET scan scheduled for 01/26/16. I'm certain surgical excision again….thinking it may be time for oncology surgeon.

Stlmag
                Participant

PET scan scheduled for 01/26/16. I'm certain surgical excision again….thinking it may be time for oncology surgeon.

WithinMySkin
                  Participant

If you don't have a surgical oncologist, GET ONE. I had a small possible in-situ between my primary and my SLNB site and saw a surgical oncologist, who did the biopsy under local in the office. No razor biopsy…a real excision. It came back positive, but since he didn't do a wimpy derm type biopsy, I don't need to go back for further margins. Trust the doc who is doing the surgery to do it right the first time!! 

Good luck to you Stlmag!

WithinMySkin

WithinMySkin
                    Participant

If you don't have a surgical oncologist, GET ONE. I had a small possible in-situ between my primary and my SLNB site and saw a surgical oncologist, who did the biopsy under local in the office. No razor biopsy…a real excision. It came back positive, but since he didn't do a wimpy derm type biopsy, I don't need to go back for further margins. Trust the doc who is doing the surgery to do it right the first time!! 

Good luck to you Stlmag!

WithinMySkin

WithinMySkin
                      Participant

Good luck to you Stlmag!

WithinMySkin

Stlmag
                        Participant

Very good advice- get a surgical oncologist. I insisted my husband see one and pleased he made that move – even though the melanoma battle continues.

Stlmag
                          Participant

Stlmag
                            Participant

He is scanned every 3 months. Feb 3 scan showed more melanoma.

jamieth29
                            Participant
                              gregor913
                              Participant

Im sorry for the reoccurrance already. But at least you caught it and they can try to get clearer margins again. When there is a reoccurrance in the surgical scar. What does it look like and feel like. Is it a bump or does it just look like another mole has grown? Ive been feeling mine but Im not sure what to look for. I also had my mel in the left armpit. Did you go along and have the CLND in the armpit? Good luck in your future treatment

Stlmag
                                  Participant

Recurrance looks exactly like the first….same spot…..looks like a blood blister. Did have 5 lyph nodes excised at first surgery after sentinel.

Stlmag
                                    Participant

Recurrance looks exactly like the first….same spot…..looks like a blood blister. Did have 5 lyph nodes excised at first surgery after sentinel.

blessd4x
                                      Participant

my husbands looked like a blood blister too.  Not primary, staged him at IV.  I posted about venting.  Thank God for this site.  Everyone here will help you as theyve done for me.  Hang on.  One minute at a time. 

blessd4x
                                        Participant

my husbands looked like a blood blister too.  Not primary, staged him at IV.  I posted about venting.  Thank God for this site.  Everyone here will help you as theyve done for me.  Hang on.  One minute at a time. 

Stlmag
                                          Participant

17 months into this melanoma battle and it continues. This is a wonderful place for support.

blessd4x
                                            Participant

btcedarr
                                              Participant

I had something that looked like a blood blister that is gone now. Dr. said I was probably spitting a stitch. Would it actually disappear if it was a reoccurence?

btcedarr
                                                Participant

I had something that looked like a blood blister that is gone now. Dr. said I was probably spitting a stitch. Would it actually disappear if it was a reoccurence?

Stlmag
                                                  Participant

Reoccurance won't disappear.frown

btcedarr
                                                    Participant

Stlmag
                                                      Participant

gregor913
                                                      Participant

Im sorry for the reoccurrance already. But at least you caught it and they can try to get clearer margins again. When there is a reoccurrance in the surgical scar. What does it look like and feel like. Is it a bump or does it just look like another mole has grown? Ive been feeling mine but Im not sure what to look for. I also had my mel in the left armpit. Did you go along and have the CLND in the armpit? Good luck in your future treatment

gregor913
                                                        Participant

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics