The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Amazing biopsy results:-)

Forums General Melanoma Community Amazing biopsy results:-)

Participant

Hey friends, this past thur I went to Vandy to have 3 lymph nodes biopsied that had a hypoechoic lesion in each.  My surgical oncologist was concerned about metatatic melanoma recurrence so they did core biopsies on each node.  They took 14 samples total and all came back negative for melanoma cells!!!!!!! The results were necrotic tissue. In a way I feel guilty that I have such great news to share but I just thought It may give some of you hope.

Hey friends, this past thur I went to Vandy to have 3 lymph nodes biopsied that had a hypoechoic lesion in each.  My surgical oncologist was concerned about metatatic melanoma recurrence so they did core biopsies on each node.  They took 14 samples total and all came back negative for melanoma cells!!!!!!! The results were necrotic tissue. In a way I feel guilty that I have such great news to share but I just thought It may give some of you hope.  I have had 3 primary tumors with the most advanced stage 3 w/ (+) SNV 2.3mm melanoma, second was 0.59mm stage 1, and third in jan 2011 was over 2.3mm stage 2 (neg SNB).  Thanks so much for those of you who have helped pray for, encourage and educate me through all this.  much love to you all!!!!!

love ya,

Alicia

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        jax2007gxp
        Participant

That's wonderful news, Alicia!!!  My surgery is still over a week away.  While I know one node is definitely positive for melanoma, I'm praying for the rest to be clear.  Good news is always welcome in my world!

BTW…cute pic!

Jacki

alicia
            Participant

praying and hoping with you Jacki!!!!!  Thanks so much for your encouragement through this:-)

alicia
              Participant

praying and hoping with you Jacki!!!!!  Thanks so much for your encouragement through this:-)

jax2007gxp
              Participant

That's wonderful news, Alicia!!!  My surgery is still over a week away.  While I know one node is definitely positive for melanoma, I'm praying for the rest to be clear.  Good news is always welcome in my world!

BTW…cute pic!

Jacki

lhaley
                Participant

That is great news!  It helps others to know that everytime we have a lump or a bump it doesn't have to be melanoma. 

I just read your profile. I also have had multiple primaries. From now on if you have any biopsies don't let them do a shave biopsy.  It's always best to get a punch or excisional so they can tell the true depth. 

Linda

Stage IV since 06,  currently NED

alicia
                    Participant

Thanks so much LInda:-)

alicia
                      Participant

Thanks so much LInda:-)

lhaley
                      Participant

That is great news!  It helps others to know that everytime we have a lump or a bump it doesn't have to be melanoma. 

I just read your profile. I also have had multiple primaries. From now on if you have any biopsies don't let them do a shave biopsy.  It's always best to get a punch or excisional so they can tell the true depth. 

Linda

Stage IV since 06,  currently NED

FormerCaregiver
                        Participant

Alicia, that truly wonderful news!! It is always great to hear good news, especially when it concerns results of biopsies or scans.

It sounds like your immune system has learned how to keep things under control!  I also think that the type of melanoma that you have does tend to keep to the surface of the skin, and therefore may not spread much at all if one is vigilant.

Best wishes for the future.

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
                          Participant

Alicia, that truly wonderful news!! It is always great to hear good news, especially when it concerns results of biopsies or scans.

It sounds like your immune system has learned how to keep things under control!  I also think that the type of melanoma that you have does tend to keep to the surface of the skin, and therefore may not spread much at all if one is vigilant.

Best wishes for the future.

Frank from Australia

alicia
                              Participant

Thank you so much for your encouragement and yes it seems that my immune system is in full steam and I pray it stays that way so I can raise my beautiful 5 yr old little girl and handsome 2 yr old little boy.  You all are so inspiring!!!!

alicia
                                Participant

Thank you so much for your encouragement and yes it seems that my immune system is in full steam and I pray it stays that way so I can raise my beautiful 5 yr old little girl and handsome 2 yr old little boy.  You all are so inspiring!!!!

JerryfromFauq
                                Participant

So very glad for you.

alicia
                                    Participant

Thanks so much Jerry!!!!!:-)

alicia
                                      Participant

Thanks so much Jerry!!!!!:-)

JerryfromFauq
                                      Participant

So very glad for you.

dian in spokane
                                        Participant

don't you feel guilty! it's wonderful news, and it's great for you to share it here. It gives others hopes for the same kind of results.

I hope you are celebrating!

dian

alicia
                                            Participant

Thanks so much dian:-)  Yes we are celebrating.  I'm so thankful for good news and ready to get busy living life with my babies and husband.  Thanks for celebrating with me:-)

You all are so great!!!!

alicia
                                              Participant

Thanks so much dian:-)  Yes we are celebrating.  I'm so thankful for good news and ready to get busy living life with my babies and husband.  Thanks for celebrating with me:-)

You all are so great!!!!

dian in spokane
                                              Participant

don't you feel guilty! it's wonderful news, and it's great for you to share it here. It gives others hopes for the same kind of results.

I hope you are celebrating!

dian

Jydnew
                                                Participant

What wonderful news!  You must have been really stressed out in the past weeks…

I have a kind of off-topic question for you, seeing that you have a gorgeous little red-head in your profile picture.  My husband was dx stage iiia in 2002 at age 26 and has been NED ever since.  We have a 2 year old daughter who, of course, inherits his cancer history (since he was so young and had a great aunt who died of melanoma, I can imagine genes may play a role), but also happens to inherit red hair, blue eyes and very pale skin from me.  I worry about her getting skin cancer with these factors – plus, she already has two moles and a few freckles (which bothers me – I lather her up and follow sun safety, but her skin is obviously really sensitive).

Anyway, do you take your daughter to the dermatologist to have them check her skin?  I plan to get an appointment for my daughter, but most people seem to think that's overkill at her age.  Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Wendy

JerryfromFauq
                                                    Participant

Wendy, a very dear young lady whose husband died two years ago of melanma has had her daughters checked.  One had a large birthmark.  It has been learned that sometimes a birthmark (especially if large) may develop into melanoma in later years.  It's removal has helped ease her worries about her daughters future, while she still remains vigilant.  My thought is that with your family's history, it is not overkill, but just being loving and vigilant.

JerryfromFauq
                                                      Participant

Wendy, a very dear young lady whose husband died two years ago of melanma has had her daughters checked.  One had a large birthmark.  It has been learned that sometimes a birthmark (especially if large) may develop into melanoma in later years.  It's removal has helped ease her worries about her daughters future, while she still remains vigilant.  My thought is that with your family's history, it is not overkill, but just being loving and vigilant.

Jydnew
                                                      Participant

What wonderful news!  You must have been really stressed out in the past weeks…

I have a kind of off-topic question for you, seeing that you have a gorgeous little red-head in your profile picture.  My husband was dx stage iiia in 2002 at age 26 and has been NED ever since.  We have a 2 year old daughter who, of course, inherits his cancer history (since he was so young and had a great aunt who died of melanoma, I can imagine genes may play a role), but also happens to inherit red hair, blue eyes and very pale skin from me.  I worry about her getting skin cancer with these factors – plus, she already has two moles and a few freckles (which bothers me – I lather her up and follow sun safety, but her skin is obviously really sensitive).

Anyway, do you take your daughter to the dermatologist to have them check her skin?  I plan to get an appointment for my daughter, but most people seem to think that's overkill at her age.  Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Wendy

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics