The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

AM I am mental case or is it Melanoma

Forums General Melanoma Community AM I am mental case or is it Melanoma

Participant

Good Morning Warriors..

I am trying to convince myself that I am just have total ANXIETY and there is no NEED to worry but I cant help but ALWAYS bringing Melanoma up to the forefront…

I am considered Stage 3a (a few cells found in one sentinal node by NYU – mole was 1.01 – non ulcerated – wide excision and LNB in February 2011) and here I am, eight months later..

Good Morning Warriors..

I am trying to convince myself that I am just have total ANXIETY and there is no NEED to worry but I cant help but ALWAYS bringing Melanoma up to the forefront…

I am considered Stage 3a (a few cells found in one sentinal node by NYU – mole was 1.01 – non ulcerated – wide excision and LNB in February 2011) and here I am, eight months later..

I was also diagnosed two years ago with a herniated disc at L5-S1 – I had horrible back pain.  they sent me for MRI and for therapy and that was that.  I was cured never to have a problem with it again. 

Last Wednesday, I dozed off on the couch, woke up in the middle of the night with pain, not horrible pain but pain, lower back again, that progressively got worse through the day.  I did visit my ortho by the end of the week as I was in horrible pain again.  ASSUMING I am just dealing with SCIATICA again, he sends me to Physical Therapy, which I am doing, but I cant help but THINK, can this be something starting in the back now?  I know, I AM probably crazy, ( no, I KNOW i am crazy – that is a proven fact) however, does anyone think I should CALL my oncologist and run it by him.?  I have to say I do feel, maybe 10 percent better than last week, but it just feels like it is taking forever to start feeling myself again.  I was on Medrol Dose Pack and some non-narcotic pain meds but I still have the pain down the butt and thigh and its tough getting around.

So, give me some input, so I can sleep at night again !

Hope this note is finding everyone having a great AUTUMN day !

Kathy

Viewing 14 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

Pain in lower back, butt and thigh seems CLASSICAL for sciatica.  My Dad recently had it so bad he couldn't move from one room to the next in his house.  (His lasted for months).  As Dr. Casey used to say on this BB:  "Look for the most obvious answer first.  THEN look for zebras".  Since you have a history of sciatica and the pain is similar (and getting better), it sounds like back issues are an obvious culprit and melanoma is still the zebra.  In the end, you need to do what makes you feel comfortable and if that means calling your onc, go ahead.  But don't let your imagination run away with you!

Best wishes,

Janner

Janner
          Participant

Pain in lower back, butt and thigh seems CLASSICAL for sciatica.  My Dad recently had it so bad he couldn't move from one room to the next in his house.  (His lasted for months).  As Dr. Casey used to say on this BB:  "Look for the most obvious answer first.  THEN look for zebras".  Since you have a history of sciatica and the pain is similar (and getting better), it sounds like back issues are an obvious culprit and melanoma is still the zebra.  In the end, you need to do what makes you feel comfortable and if that means calling your onc, go ahead.  But don't let your imagination run away with you!

Best wishes,

Janner

Janner
            Participant

Best wishes,

Janner

Hereiam
              Participant

Hi Kathy,

I am so sorry that you have to go through all this. I want to calm you down and say that a lot of our ilnesses are born in out minds at first. So, really, try to not connect two different things together! Of course, it all might be connected as our body is a complect of different things, but, at the same time, maybe your back pain is returning simply because it wasn`t treated correctly or fully at the first time. And it has no connection with melanoma.

Please, do not think that you`re crazy and try to relax more. And, maybe go to the doctor if you feel so!

Best wishes,

H

Hereiam
                Participant

Hi Kathy,

I am so sorry that you have to go through all this. I want to calm you down and say that a lot of our ilnesses are born in out minds at first. So, really, try to not connect two different things together! Of course, it all might be connected as our body is a complect of different things, but, at the same time, maybe your back pain is returning simply because it wasn`t treated correctly or fully at the first time. And it has no connection with melanoma.

Please, do not think that you`re crazy and try to relax more. And, maybe go to the doctor if you feel so!

Best wishes,

H

Hereiam
                  Participant

Hi Kathy,

Best wishes,

H

CKasper
                    Participant

My husband had the same injury in his back you have.  His became so painful until he started to suffer nerve damage.

He finally had surgery which helped him tremendously.  I caution  you if you decide to go this route to make sure you have a very good surgeron. 

As far as Melanoma goes.  When its staring you in the face and the doctors are all very concerned and wanting you to get surgery and treatment as soon as posssible its difficult not to think of anything else. 

There are many many cancer patients who suffer from anxiety, depression, etc….no wonder…this is a life changing disease and it takes lots of time, patience and persverence (sp?) to tackle this disease not matter what type of cancer a patient might have.

If you can afford it contact a therapist.  If not, see if there are some group threapies you can attend.  It will help you as you won't feel so alone.

Good Luck to you.

CKasper
                      Participant

My husband had the same injury in his back you have.  His became so painful until he started to suffer nerve damage.

He finally had surgery which helped him tremendously.  I caution  you if you decide to go this route to make sure you have a very good surgeron. 

As far as Melanoma goes.  When its staring you in the face and the doctors are all very concerned and wanting you to get surgery and treatment as soon as posssible its difficult not to think of anything else. 

There are many many cancer patients who suffer from anxiety, depression, etc….no wonder…this is a life changing disease and it takes lots of time, patience and persverence (sp?) to tackle this disease not matter what type of cancer a patient might have.

If you can afford it contact a therapist.  If not, see if there are some group threapies you can attend.  It will help you as you won't feel so alone.

Good Luck to you.

CKasper
                        Participant

Good Luck to you.

Jydnew
                          Participant

My husband is the same stage as you – 3a with microscopic deposits in 1 or 2 lymph nodes in his armpit.  Twice a year, he would get relatively debilitating back pain about 3-4 weeks before scan time and it always freaked me out (not him so much) that it was the melanoma spreading into his lower spine, butt, even down his legs.  I used to try to feel for lumps and bumps all the time, I was so worried.

I realize now, with the pattern of the timing, that it was likely stress induced.  And it's tough because it takes weeks to months to heal from normal back pain, not to mention sciatica, so it's not like it goes away quickly, relieving your mind.

My husband is going on 10 years out from his diagnosis – he will be NED for 10 years in January 2012.  He will turn 36 the same week.

Of course, everyone's health situation is different, and I think you do what you have to do to get peace with the disease.  Personally, I haven't found what that is yet.  Somehow my husband, the patient, has.

Jydnew
                            Participant

My husband is the same stage as you – 3a with microscopic deposits in 1 or 2 lymph nodes in his armpit.  Twice a year, he would get relatively debilitating back pain about 3-4 weeks before scan time and it always freaked me out (not him so much) that it was the melanoma spreading into his lower spine, butt, even down his legs.  I used to try to feel for lumps and bumps all the time, I was so worried.

I realize now, with the pattern of the timing, that it was likely stress induced.  And it's tough because it takes weeks to months to heal from normal back pain, not to mention sciatica, so it's not like it goes away quickly, relieving your mind.

My husband is going on 10 years out from his diagnosis – he will be NED for 10 years in January 2012.  He will turn 36 the same week.

Of course, everyone's health situation is different, and I think you do what you have to do to get peace with the disease.  Personally, I haven't found what that is yet.  Somehow my husband, the patient, has.

Jydnew
                              Participant

Jydnew
                                Participant

Of course, everyone's health situation is different, and I think you do what you have to do to get peace living with the disease.  Personally, I haven't found what that is yet.  Somehow my husband, the patient, has.

Jydnew
                                  Participant

Of course, everyone's health situation is different, and I think you do what you have to do to get peace living with the disease.  Personally, I haven't found what that is yet.  Somehow my husband, the patient, has.

Jydnew
                                    Participant

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics