The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Alternative Therapy.

Forums General Melanoma Community Alternative Therapy.

Participant

So there I was sitting in my room at Sloan itching to get out post surgically, somebody comes to the door and asks if I would be interested in "musical therapy"? I looked at Merry, and thought hey why the fuck not?  So in comes a woman with a ton of musical instruments, mild mannered, calm, friendly, yudda yudda, yudda.  She starts into the whole Kumbaya, guitar thing and we roll our eyes and humor her pretending like it is soothing, whatever.  Next thing you know she brings out the "ocean drrum"  Never heard of it before.

So there I was sitting in my room at Sloan itching to get out post surgically, somebody comes to the door and asks if I would be interested in "musical therapy"? I looked at Merry, and thought hey why the fuck not?  So in comes a woman with a ton of musical instruments, mild mannered, calm, friendly, yudda yudda, yudda.  She starts into the whole Kumbaya, guitar thing and we roll our eyes and humor her pretending like it is soothing, whatever.  Next thing you know she brings out the "ocean drrum"  Never heard of it before.  Basically it is a drum with BBs in it.  Coolest thing, I have ever seen.  There is a clear view to the bottom of the small cylinder, the BBs roll over the surface of the drum, you can watch them as they go.  Not only is it mesmerizing, it actually sounds just like the ocean, or a heavy rain.  If you concentrate on it, you can work on a regular pattern, even that though becomes irregular, just like the real ocean, watching the BBs swirl is like staring at a campfire, definitely great if you need to sit and think.     

Also comes with a cool drumstick which I use to scare the hell out of Biscuit.

Viewing 7 reply threads
    • Replies
        Bonnie Lea
        Participant

I can see how that sound would be soothing but why terrorize Biscuit?  Poor wee thing…. next time, stare at those lovely HUGE brown eyes.  (the dogs) 

Hope you are feeling mucho better John.  When will you be able to go back to work?  (just me being nosy I guess)

Bonnie Lea
          Participant

I can see how that sound would be soothing but why terrorize Biscuit?  Poor wee thing…. next time, stare at those lovely HUGE brown eyes.  (the dogs) 

Hope you are feeling mucho better John.  When will you be able to go back to work?  (just me being nosy I guess)

Bonnie Lea
            Participant

that post was from MOI  I clicke the wrong button, and could not figure out how to fix it.  ME NOT ANNONYMUS!

jag
                Participant

They asked me if I could come in tomorrow, so I said sure.  (I just wear a baseball hat)

jag
                  Participant

Funny thing, the vet supposed to cover my shift "called in sick"

jag
                    Participant

Funny thing, the vet supposed to cover my shift "called in sick"

jag
                      Participant

They asked me if I could come in tomorrow, so I said sure.  (I just wear a baseball hat)

Bonnie Lea
                      Participant

that post was from MOI  I clicke the wrong button, and could not figure out how to fix it.  ME NOT ANNONYMUS!

Kevin from Atlanta
                        Participant

That seems so relaxing. I am ready for my nap now.

Kevin from Atlanta
                          Participant

That seems so relaxing. I am ready for my nap now.

bill58
                            Participant

Interesting therapy.  I think one of the hospitals I was in had something like that, but they never came to my room.

While I was laying in bed pressing the morphine pump, i could have sworn I saw a dog walk down the hall.  What would a dog be doing in the hospital.  When the nurse came in the room I asked her about it and she said they had the dogs come in as therapy.  I asked her to sign me up.  They came by with different dogs over the next few days.  it was kind of nice, since i missed seeing my dog at home.  i only wish the hospital was a little more proactive on informing the patients of these therapies so that people in need can actually sign up for them.

bill58
                              Participant

Interesting therapy.  I think one of the hospitals I was in had something like that, but they never came to my room.

While I was laying in bed pressing the morphine pump, i could have sworn I saw a dog walk down the hall.  What would a dog be doing in the hospital.  When the nurse came in the room I asked her about it and she said they had the dogs come in as therapy.  I asked her to sign me up.  They came by with different dogs over the next few days.  it was kind of nice, since i missed seeing my dog at home.  i only wish the hospital was a little more proactive on informing the patients of these therapies so that people in need can actually sign up for them.

Viewing 7 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics