The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

ALL lllB stage people

Forums General Melanoma Community ALL lllB stage people

Participant

I was just wondering how those of you that are IIIB stage are doing. I was diagnosed at that stage in Nov, 2011. I  also had breast cancer 3 months ago which is right above the chest wall where my melanoma was. I raised money and walked in the Relay for Life and I guess it made me very down and wondering what survival rates were for us. My next CT scan is in July and you know, not looking forward to it. I am normally pretty upbeat. I guess seeing all those who have died from cancer just makes you more aware of it all and brings it to mind.

I was just wondering how those of you that are IIIB stage are doing. I was diagnosed at that stage in Nov, 2011. I  also had breast cancer 3 months ago which is right above the chest wall where my melanoma was. I raised money and walked in the Relay for Life and I guess it made me very down and wondering what survival rates were for us. My next CT scan is in July and you know, not looking forward to it. I am normally pretty upbeat. I guess seeing all those who have died from cancer just makes you more aware of it all and brings it to mind. I usually try to just live one day at a time and enjoy life.

Thanks for any input and encouragement! .

Alabama girl

Viewing 23 reply threads
    • Replies
        aldakota22
        Participant

Great that you were able to walk and raise money in Relay for Life. Do not let this cancer keep you down.Keep it in the back not the front of of your thoughts.Stay as positive as you can.You will beat this.Keeping you in my prayers.Keep us posted on CT scan. Many of us are now beating this beast.Keep the faith. Keep living & loving.    Al

aldakota22
          Participant

Great that you were able to walk and raise money in Relay for Life. Do not let this cancer keep you down.Keep it in the back not the front of of your thoughts.Stay as positive as you can.You will beat this.Keeping you in my prayers.Keep us posted on CT scan. Many of us are now beating this beast.Keep the faith. Keep living & loving.    Al

aldakota22
            Participant

Dynasysman
                Participant

HI there,

I was browsing the board for no particular reason and found your post.  I haven't been here in a while.

My melanoma had an unknown Primary, so staging is a bit different, but I had a lymph node removed from my left posterior neck in November, 2010, and a recurring soft tissue tumor removed in July, 2011.  Since then, all tests have been clean and, except for permanent numbness in my neck and a greater appreciation for everyday life, things appear pretty much as before this happened.

Good luck in your journey.  As someone posted earlier in this thread, many stage 3's are treated and simply move on with their lives.

You can beat this.  Stay positive, take exceptional care of yourself, and feed on the love of family, friends, and stangers.

Dynasysman
                  Participant

HI there,

I was browsing the board for no particular reason and found your post.  I haven't been here in a while.

My melanoma had an unknown Primary, so staging is a bit different, but I had a lymph node removed from my left posterior neck in November, 2010, and a recurring soft tissue tumor removed in July, 2011.  Since then, all tests have been clean and, except for permanent numbness in my neck and a greater appreciation for everyday life, things appear pretty much as before this happened.

Good luck in your journey.  As someone posted earlier in this thread, many stage 3's are treated and simply move on with their lives.

You can beat this.  Stay positive, take exceptional care of yourself, and feed on the love of family, friends, and stangers.

Dynasysman
                    Participant

HI there,

Valentine
                    Participant

Alabama Girl,

I was diagnosed in Jan. 2010 with stage IIIb. The primary was on the bottom of my left foot. My  3rd surgery (to remove the lymph nodes in my left groin) was 25 Feb 2010, and there has been no evidence of disease since that time.

I also have anykylosing spondylitis, a form of arthritis, and during the last surgery they had to rotate my leg into a position that it does not normally go into. So while I have no evidence of cancer, I spent a very long time in a great amount of pain and could not walk, or stand, for more than a few minutes at a time. I finally told the right doctor about it, and did 6 months of various kinds of physical therapy. I am now better off than I was before the cancer experience in regards to my joint issues.

It has been a long 2+ years, and until I started feeling better in the last few months, I was pretty down at times. For awhile, I had to stop coming here and reading posts on the forums because it was just too depressing. Then I started to wonder if maybe, statistically, this is an unbalanced view. I choose to believe that the people who have recovered better, or faster, or with less side effects, or whatever, than I have, are out there living their lives and don't spend as much time here as I do. There certainly isn't anything wrong with spending a lot of time here. The information and support I have found here have helped me to cope and given me hope.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that, yes, a lot of people have died from this ugly disease and a lot more will, but we don't really know about all of the people who have moved on without looking back. I have read on this forum and spoken with people in my personal life about people who have had a higher staging that I do and went for years and even decades before it comes back.

Don't give up hope. It isn't over until it's over.

Valentine

Valentine
                      Participant

Alabama Girl,

I was diagnosed in Jan. 2010 with stage IIIb. The primary was on the bottom of my left foot. My  3rd surgery (to remove the lymph nodes in my left groin) was 25 Feb 2010, and there has been no evidence of disease since that time.

I also have anykylosing spondylitis, a form of arthritis, and during the last surgery they had to rotate my leg into a position that it does not normally go into. So while I have no evidence of cancer, I spent a very long time in a great amount of pain and could not walk, or stand, for more than a few minutes at a time. I finally told the right doctor about it, and did 6 months of various kinds of physical therapy. I am now better off than I was before the cancer experience in regards to my joint issues.

It has been a long 2+ years, and until I started feeling better in the last few months, I was pretty down at times. For awhile, I had to stop coming here and reading posts on the forums because it was just too depressing. Then I started to wonder if maybe, statistically, this is an unbalanced view. I choose to believe that the people who have recovered better, or faster, or with less side effects, or whatever, than I have, are out there living their lives and don't spend as much time here as I do. There certainly isn't anything wrong with spending a lot of time here. The information and support I have found here have helped me to cope and given me hope.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that, yes, a lot of people have died from this ugly disease and a lot more will, but we don't really know about all of the people who have moved on without looking back. I have read on this forum and spoken with people in my personal life about people who have had a higher staging that I do and went for years and even decades before it comes back.

Valentine

Valentine
                        Participant

Alabama Girl,

Valentine

LynnLuc
                          Participant

Please have some hope!! I have been stage 4 for over 3 years…and of those 3 years I have been NED ( no evidence of disease) for 2 years.  I believe if I had been stage 4 a few years back I would be dead, but now is the time with the new immunotherapies we have hope! I amon MDX 1106 ( Anti PD-1).

LynnLuc
                            Participant

Please have some hope!! I have been stage 4 for over 3 years…and of those 3 years I have been NED ( no evidence of disease) for 2 years.  I believe if I had been stage 4 a few years back I would be dead, but now is the time with the new immunotherapies we have hope! I amon MDX 1106 ( Anti PD-1).

LynnLuc
                              Participant

washoegal
                                Participant

Hi Alabama!

I am Stage 3a but since many stage 3ers don't hang around very long …they get better than move on with their lives I figured I'd reply.  I was dx in Jan 2010, last surgery March 2010.  Since that time I have been NED.  No other treatments except a complete lymph node dissection. 

I have had quite a few atypical moles removed and some BC but I had lots of sun damage.  I feel pretty good about my chances of beating this thing.  I think we all go through the doldrums but I just look at so many other people and think how lucky I am to be ONLY STAGE 3. 

Keep up the good work.

Mary

washoegal
                                  Participant

Hi Alabama!

I am Stage 3a but since many stage 3ers don't hang around very long …they get better than move on with their lives I figured I'd reply.  I was dx in Jan 2010, last surgery March 2010.  Since that time I have been NED.  No other treatments except a complete lymph node dissection. 

I have had quite a few atypical moles removed and some BC but I had lots of sun damage.  I feel pretty good about my chances of beating this thing.  I think we all go through the doldrums but I just look at so many other people and think how lucky I am to be ONLY STAGE 3. 

Keep up the good work.

Mary

washoegal
                                    Participant

Hi Alabama!

Keep up the good work.

Mary

94z28joe
                                      Participant
                                        I’m stage IIIB original diagnosed in Oct 2011 my last surgery was Feb 2012 I had a CT Scan last month. I’m currently NED and hoping to stay that way I do find myself going to the doctor alot more then normal for anything out of the ordinary.
                                        94z28joe
                                        Participant
                                          I’m stage IIIB original diagnosed in Oct 2011 my last surgery was Feb 2012 I had a CT Scan last month. I’m currently NED and hoping to stay that way I do find myself going to the doctor alot more then normal for anything out of the ordinary.
                                          94z28joe
                                          Participant
                                            kthekhal
                                            Participant

I was diagosed in June 2008 with a primary on my left fore arm (3.8 mm), ulcerated and 2 afffected nodes  – had my WLE on Sep 10th, and CLND on Oct 16th , 2008 –   took interferon for 8 months  – NED since then  – almost 4 years now  !!

I do a LOT of Yoga , eat a vegetarian diet and pray everyday.  Also, I completely avoid the mid-day Sun.

kthekhal
                                              Participant

I was diagosed in June 2008 with a primary on my left fore arm (3.8 mm), ulcerated and 2 afffected nodes  – had my WLE on Sep 10th, and CLND on Oct 16th , 2008 –   took interferon for 8 months  – NED since then  – almost 4 years now  !!

I do a LOT of Yoga , eat a vegetarian diet and pray everyday.  Also, I completely avoid the mid-day Sun.

kthekhal
                                                Participant

michelleg
                                                  Participant

I was diagnosed in June 2010 at stage 3B with an unknown primary.  I had a complete LND in July 2010 and started the GSK DERMA vaccine clinical trial in Aug 2010.  I have been NED for 2 years now!!  I am anxious to see the responses you get because I hope lots of stage 3 folks are just living life and not even visiting here often.  I tend to check here regularly because I have learned so much from all the posts.  I do sometimes get down when there are lots of people advancing to stage 4 or having multiple recurrences or worse, but I also think that there is much to be gained by visiting here.  I try to get more exercise and eat a predominantly vegetarian diet.  I also pray daily for us all.

Michelle/3B

michelleg
                                                    Participant

I was diagnosed in June 2010 at stage 3B with an unknown primary.  I had a complete LND in July 2010 and started the GSK DERMA vaccine clinical trial in Aug 2010.  I have been NED for 2 years now!!  I am anxious to see the responses you get because I hope lots of stage 3 folks are just living life and not even visiting here often.  I tend to check here regularly because I have learned so much from all the posts.  I do sometimes get down when there are lots of people advancing to stage 4 or having multiple recurrences or worse, but I also think that there is much to be gained by visiting here.  I try to get more exercise and eat a predominantly vegetarian diet.  I also pray daily for us all.

Michelle/3B

michelleg
                                                      Participant

Michelle/3B

Kimmie82
                                                        Participant

Hi all! I was diagnosed stage llla 7 years ago and have been happily living life! Here recently I was diagnosed with stage 3b due to an intransient metastasis. I had wide excision, lymph node disection and chemo/immune combo with stage llla diagnosis! My question to you stage lllb survivors is did you all do adjuvant immunotherapy?! I'm currently trying to decide what to do?! 

Thanks, 

kim 

Kimmie82
                                                          Participant

Hi all! I was diagnosed stage llla 7 years ago and have been happily living life! Here recently I was diagnosed with stage 3b due to an intransient metastasis. I had wide excision, lymph node disection and chemo/immune combo with stage llla diagnosis! My question to you stage lllb survivors is did you all do adjuvant immunotherapy?! I'm currently trying to decide what to do?! 

Thanks, 

kim 

Kimmie82
                                                            Participant

Thanks, 

kim 

Viewing 23 reply threads
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics