The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

After WLE and SLNB

Forums General Melanoma Community After WLE and SLNB

Participant

Hello,Newbie here,  

I had WLE/SLNB for nodular melanoma diagnosed a couple weeks ago when I went to dermatologist for first time to remove a pink skin colored eraser sized bump from upper arm, really for cosmetic reasons. My primary care had looked at it years ago (I hugely underutilized health care until now, despite being a pharmacist, guess that finally caught up with me) and said it was fibroma, nothing to worry about, and maybe it was then (I hope..)

I had grown tired of not wearing anything sleeveless and decided to pay to have it removed even if not covered. 

Saw CNP, she shaved it off out of office in < 30 minutes… Cool. She called me with biopsy report…not cool. Referred to melanoma clinic at Steidman Cancer Center in CLE, couple Dr. /location switches due to insurance issues, concerning but seems ok so far.

Been studying up, (yikes) waiting for appts etc. and appreciate all the shared experiences here already. Valor, generosity kindness and wisdom abound. 

I found the procedure day today much less unpleasant than anticipated. Indeed the anticipation/dread so far much worse than reality.  Little pain, but curiously wakeful tonight. 10/10 A+ to all staff I encountered at St. John's Med Center, from pre admission to transport to nuclear tech to surgery to recovery. 

Suggestions for dealing with the wait time for results? My mind wants to run ahead with so many ifs and thens, but I feel like it's a bad idea to go down all these mental rabbit trails until I need to. (A little knowledge can be a dangerous thing) 

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        Aubreesmommy41
        Participant

How long have you had the fibroma? I have one on my leg I've had for 5 years or more and he says it's a derma fibroma. Now I'm worried. 

Aubreesmommy41
          Participant

How long have you had the fibroma? I have one on my leg I've had for 5 years or more and he says it's a derma fibroma. Now I'm worried. 

Joycem
              Participant

I'm really not sure… Maybe 3 years. It did get bigger/taller because I started noticing it was visible thru my sleeves, which should have been my signal to take action on it. But I was busy with life, 3 kids, caring for 3 elders with dementia and other health problems. Kicking myself to say the least. 

My understanding is this presentation/appearance is pretty rare and fibroma is pretty common and really is benign, but if you are worried get it looked at. I hadn't even seen my primary in a couple years, so she might have caught the change too. 

Best cure for worry is action. 

Joycem
                Participant

I'm really not sure… Maybe 3 years. It did get bigger/taller because I started noticing it was visible thru my sleeves, which should have been my signal to take action on it. But I was busy with life, 3 kids, caring for 3 elders with dementia and other health problems. Kicking myself to say the least. 

My understanding is this presentation/appearance is pretty rare and fibroma is pretty common and really is benign, but if you are worried get it looked at. I hadn't even seen my primary in a couple years, so she might have caught the change too. 

Joycem
                  Participant

Aubreesmommy41
                  Participant

Mamapegela
                    Participant

Hi Joyce-

Yes the waiting is probably the hardest part of this journey.  I have found that doing stuff I love is the best way to deal with it.  Trying to really appreciate the good things in my life.  That and talking to my sister who has had cancer and understands the angst.  This forum helps immensely but here it is easy to get ahead of yourself as well as there are all stages and many different outcomes represented here.

Wishing you the best!  Sometimes it helps to just know that there are people along side you on the journey.

Mamapegela
                        Participant

Sorry I didn't sign my name!

Peggy

Joycem
                          Participant

Thanks, Peggy for the kind words and wise advice. Praying for your successful treatments, health and healing. 

Joyce

Joycem
                            Participant

Thanks, Peggy for the kind words and wise advice. Praying for your successful treatments, health and healing. 

Joyce

Joycem
                              Participant

Joyce

Mamapegela
                                Participant

Peggy

Mamapegela
                                  Participant

Peggy

Mamapegela
                                  Participant

Hi Joyce-

Yes the waiting is probably the hardest part of this journey.  I have found that doing stuff I love is the best way to deal with it.  Trying to really appreciate the good things in my life.  That and talking to my sister who has had cancer and understands the angst.  This forum helps immensely but here it is easy to get ahead of yourself as well as there are all stages and many different outcomes represented here.

Wishing you the best!  Sometimes it helps to just know that there are people along side you on the journey.

Mamapegela
                                    Participant

Hi Joyce-

jbronicki
                                      Participant

Hi Joyce,

First let me say sorry that you are dealing with this.  My husband presented very similarly to you.  He had this growth on his back for years that his GP told him was nothing. It actually went away for little bit and then when we moved to Houston, it started growing and my daughter noticed it one day when they were at the pool. The initial diagnosis was nodular melanoma with no overlying skin component so they considered it metastasized.  He had his surgery and SLNB that week at MD Anderson.  He actually went to work the next day even though huge scar on his back and his armpit.  He said the armpit was the most uncomfortable.   He also had genetic  test which shows he has the NRAS mutation.   His breslow depth was 19 mm and his mitotic rate was 8..  The surgeon came and spoke to me afterward, but I honestly can't remember how long it took to get pathology report back from surgery.  MD Anderson has electronic access to medical records so I just remember checking for the pathology.   If i remember correctly, we didn't do his scans until about 4-6 weeks later.  I'm guessing they need everything somewhat healed before they want to do imaging or the inflammation, etc will show on the scans.  We got our results the day of the scans.  I think big centers like MD Anderson probably have the radiology staffing to get you your results the same day.  The doctor actually thought we wouldn't know until Monday, but she did call us on the way home, since the results came in.  Looks like you are going to Steidman cancer center, so hopefully they will have quick turnaround for you. The anxiety can be pretty unbearable at times, and I'm not sure what to advise since everyone is different.  Kids will definitely keep your mind off of it (we have an 8 year old and life definitely moves forward regardless of the melanoma).  I've been a medical librarian in the past, so I tend to find comfort in the statistical analysis and outcomes studies regarding current treatments, so that helps me deal with the stress but that definitely isn't for everyone.  For some, the data can feel overwhelming.  My husband never read anything regarding his treatment, results, or studies (my mom was the same way, they prefer very limited information, hewouldn't be able to tell you his stage ๐Ÿ™‚  But that is how he deals, i'm the exact opposite.

Wishing you absolutely the best results.  Try to stay calm (definitely easier said then done, so I would also say anxiety is normal in this situation, we are human!)

Hoping for great results,

Jackie

jbronicki
                                        Participant

Hi Joyce,

First let me say sorry that you are dealing with this.  My husband presented very similarly to you.  He had this growth on his back for years that his GP told him was nothing. It actually went away for little bit and then when we moved to Houston, it started growing and my daughter noticed it one day when they were at the pool. The initial diagnosis was nodular melanoma with no overlying skin component so they considered it metastasized.  He had his surgery and SLNB that week at MD Anderson.  He actually went to work the next day even though huge scar on his back and his armpit.  He said the armpit was the most uncomfortable.   He also had genetic  test which shows he has the NRAS mutation.   His breslow depth was 19 mm and his mitotic rate was 8..  The surgeon came and spoke to me afterward, but I honestly can't remember how long it took to get pathology report back from surgery.  MD Anderson has electronic access to medical records so I just remember checking for the pathology.   If i remember correctly, we didn't do his scans until about 4-6 weeks later.  I'm guessing they need everything somewhat healed before they want to do imaging or the inflammation, etc will show on the scans.  We got our results the day of the scans.  I think big centers like MD Anderson probably have the radiology staffing to get you your results the same day.  The doctor actually thought we wouldn't know until Monday, but she did call us on the way home, since the results came in.  Looks like you are going to Steidman cancer center, so hopefully they will have quick turnaround for you. The anxiety can be pretty unbearable at times, and I'm not sure what to advise since everyone is different.  Kids will definitely keep your mind off of it (we have an 8 year old and life definitely moves forward regardless of the melanoma).  I've been a medical librarian in the past, so I tend to find comfort in the statistical analysis and outcomes studies regarding current treatments, so that helps me deal with the stress but that definitely isn't for everyone.  For some, the data can feel overwhelming.  My husband never read anything regarding his treatment, results, or studies (my mom was the same way, they prefer very limited information, hewouldn't be able to tell you his stage ๐Ÿ™‚  But that is how he deals, i'm the exact opposite.

Wishing you absolutely the best results.  Try to stay calm (definitely easier said then done, so I would also say anxiety is normal in this situation, we are human!)

Jackie

jbronicki
                                          Participant

Hi Joyce,

Jackie

Joycem
                                              Participant

Thanks, Jackie for sharing your details. I find your story very encouraging, and your advice helpful. Your husband's presentation does sound very similar to mine . Praying you continue to get great care and good news. 

Joyce

Joycem
                                                Participant

Thanks, Jackie for sharing your details. I find your story very encouraging, and your advice helpful. Your husband's presentation does sound very similar to mine . Praying you continue to get great care and good news. 

Joyce

jbronicki
                                                  Participant

Good luck Joyce!  We just had his 2 1/2 year scans and still NED. I just remember how tough it was in the beginning since everyone said breslow depth was so important and I'm thinking "OMG, 19 mm!"  Everything on his pathology was absolutely the worst of any category, so we've been lucky so far.  But the wait and watch is tough for me since I trend towards anxiety.

Hope to hear good news from you as well!

Jackie

jbronicki
                                                    Participant

Good luck Joyce!  We just had his 2 1/2 year scans and still NED. I just remember how tough it was in the beginning since everyone said breslow depth was so important and I'm thinking "OMG, 19 mm!"  Everything on his pathology was absolutely the worst of any category, so we've been lucky so far.  But the wait and watch is tough for me since I trend towards anxiety.

Jackie

jbronicki
                                                      Participant

Jackie

Joycem
                                                        Participant

Joyce

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics