The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

After 44 lymph nodes removed from neck – physical therapy

Forums General Melanoma Community After 44 lymph nodes removed from neck – physical therapy

Participant

Hi,

I just wanted to ask if anyone else can share their recovery experience after a complete lymph node dissection of a full side of their neck?

It has been a little over 2 weeks since mine (44 lymph nodes, some skeletal muscle, and a plum-sized submandibular gland). I start physical therapy tomorrow for my left shoulder and neck. I will also start seeing a speech therapist but that hasn't been setup yet (probably next week).

Here is my big question: The left side of my tongue is limp (when I curl my tongue only the right side curls, my tongue can touch my back teeth on the right side but only as far back as the canine tooth on my left side). Also, my left lower lip is limp but this is very subtle because the middle and edge of the lip are responding normally. Are these effects temporary?

Reading about nerve issues regarding the tongue it sounds like nerves do heal themselves quite well. So hopefully it is just a matter of giving my tongue and lip some more time to heal.

But any advice of nerve healing and/or physical therapy exercises for the neck would be greatly appreciated.

I start on Ipi in a week, so in many ways the nerve healing and physical therapy are good for me to focus on instead of worrying too much regarding Ipi.

Thanks!

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        Marksa2570
        Participant

Hi… I am not familiar with your procedure but I just wanted to say I hope you are recovering well.    You are in our thoughts!   

miaka618
          Participant
            I had a crooked smile for a while. I just practiced moving that side of my lip and now it is back to normal. It took a few months. Never had the tongue issue. My shoulder did not completely recover until I went to physical therapy. A lot of the exercises involved tightening the shoulder blades. Try walking your fingers up the wall to get mobility back. When you can get your arm up, put your hand above your head against the wall and try pulling it away. Keep working on getting your strength back. It’ll come. Good luck!
            April
        Viewing 1 reply thread
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics