The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

advice recovery time WLE neck dissection

Forums General Melanoma Community advice recovery time WLE neck dissection

Participant
      Had wle and neck disection to left side of neck removal of all nodes that side. I am getting really concerned it’s been 5 days swelling hasn’t reduced and when u touched the swollen area it is hard. Has anyone had this recently and help me not worry. No fever. Just extremes tightness and swelling
    Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        miaka618
        Participant

The swelling takes a while to come down. My neck dissection was back in May, and if I remember correctly, it was almost a month before it looked almost normal again. Also be aware that some of the dissolvable stitches might start working their way out and cause zit like cysts to pop up on your scars. You'll get nerve pain for quite some time, and the numbness will get better over time, but your nerves will do weird things. I touch under my neck and I can feel it on my ear sometimes. The tightness takes many months to ease, but keep moisturizing it and it will definitely soften up. 

I hope this helps! 

April 

miaka618
          Participant

The swelling takes a while to come down. My neck dissection was back in May, and if I remember correctly, it was almost a month before it looked almost normal again. Also be aware that some of the dissolvable stitches might start working their way out and cause zit like cysts to pop up on your scars. You'll get nerve pain for quite some time, and the numbness will get better over time, but your nerves will do weird things. I touch under my neck and I can feel it on my ear sometimes. The tightness takes many months to ease, but keep moisturizing it and it will definitely soften up. 

I hope this helps! 

April 

miaka618
            Participant

I hope this helps! 

April 

Mamapegela
              Participant

Although the skin will start to heal quickly it takes much longer for the tissue underneath to heal, and there will be a "healing ridge" under the incision which can be firm for quite a long time.  I assume that you will be going to PT (very important for your shoulder and your neck)-after it isn't quite so painful they should help you learn how to knead and stretch the skin and tissue on your neck to help soften and break up the scar tissue.

5 days isn't long at all- I was still very swollen at that time.  You should probably be having your post-op visit soon?  When you see your surgeon they can assess the situation too.  Also never hesitate to call the surgeon or the nurse when you have questions- that's what they're there for.  But I wouldn't be too worried about the swelling.

Wishing the best for you and that your recovery goes great-

Peggy

lmccann2016
                  Participant
                    Thanks Peggy today is a better day xo
                    lmccann2016
                    Participant
                      lmccann2016
                      Participant
                      Mamapegela
                      Participant

Although the skin will start to heal quickly it takes much longer for the tissue underneath to heal, and there will be a "healing ridge" under the incision which can be firm for quite a long time.  I assume that you will be going to PT (very important for your shoulder and your neck)-after it isn't quite so painful they should help you learn how to knead and stretch the skin and tissue on your neck to help soften and break up the scar tissue.

5 days isn't long at all- I was still very swollen at that time.  You should probably be having your post-op visit soon?  When you see your surgeon they can assess the situation too.  Also never hesitate to call the surgeon or the nurse when you have questions- that's what they're there for.  But I wouldn't be too worried about the swelling.

Peggy

Mamapegela
                        Participant

Peggy

Viewing 5 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics