The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Advice for Stage I and IIs

Forums General Melanoma Community Advice for Stage I and IIs

Participant

I keep seeing situations where stages I and II patients end up with stage 4 years later. Other than self checks and dermatology appointments what are things like signs or symptoms we can look for? Without any kind of treatment we are just left to play the lottery with this disease. Any information is appreciated while doing this watch and wait stuff. 

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        JC
        Participant

you're going to be told only the rare cases are what you see posted here, and that most others don't post because they are living their lives, etc….  then you will continue to see more stories of early stages progressing and then you will continue to be told they are the exceptions.  i'm not buying it anymore.  at some point all these exceptions become the rule.  

JC
          Participant

you're going to be told only the rare cases are what you see posted here, and that most others don't post because they are living their lives, etc….  then you will continue to see more stories of early stages progressing and then you will continue to be told they are the exceptions.  i'm not buying it anymore.  at some point all these exceptions become the rule.  

JC
            Participant

MoiraM
                Participant

I could not disagree more. Exceptions are not the rule. Here is a user-friendly explanation of the statistics. It is for England but I believe it is still useful.

http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/type/melanoma/treatment/melanoma-statistics-and-outlook

It really is a case of the people who post on his website are not representative of the whole population of melanoma patients.

Stage I and Stage II patients do have treatment. They have the cancer cells removed, along with as much normal skin as necessary until they have 'clear margins'.

To give them the current systemic treatments, with all the risks those involve, would be irresponsible. I am not absolutely sure, but I think more people would die from consequences of the treatment than from any reoccurring melanoma!

The situation would be different if there was a systemic treatment with high response rates and negligible side effects. Even if that were the case, I doubt if such treatment will ever be offered to stage I patients.

MoiraM
                  Participant

I could not disagree more. Exceptions are not the rule. Here is a user-friendly explanation of the statistics. It is for England but I believe it is still useful.

http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/type/melanoma/treatment/melanoma-statistics-and-outlook

It really is a case of the people who post on his website are not representative of the whole population of melanoma patients.

Stage I and Stage II patients do have treatment. They have the cancer cells removed, along with as much normal skin as necessary until they have 'clear margins'.

To give them the current systemic treatments, with all the risks those involve, would be irresponsible. I am not absolutely sure, but I think more people would die from consequences of the treatment than from any reoccurring melanoma!

The situation would be different if there was a systemic treatment with high response rates and negligible side effects. Even if that were the case, I doubt if such treatment will ever be offered to stage I patients.

MoiraM
                    Participant

Aubreesmommy41
                      Participant

Do you believe it always comes back no exceptions? I'm on the fence I think. 

MoiraM
                        Participant

My answer is based on the English statistics.

If a stage I melanoma is really a stage I and it is cut out properly, it will not 'come back'. All the melanoma cells have been restricted to the original place and will have been cut out. The only exception should be the small number of people who develop a second primary leision. Doing skin checks should be enough.

Stage II is less certain. The cancer cells have developed the abiity to invade other tissues and have started to do so. They doctors cannot find any evidence that it has got any further than the local area. They believe they cut out all the cells. However, they are wrong in some cases and some malignant cells have got past them. Doing an SLNB for stage II patients makes it less likely that they will misdiagnose stage III as stage II.

The English statistics suggest that the doctors get all the cancer cells for 8 out of 10 male stage II patients and for 9 out of 10 female stage II patients. I guess the 'unluckly' ones are either really stage III (some cells have got into the lymphatic system and travelled away from the original site) or possibly stage II where the margins of the WLE looked clear but were not.

For us stage III patients the numbers are a lot less promising.

I am stage IIIC – the advanced side of stage III. My doctor and I looked at the statiscs together. Even with a WLE and a CLND, I had only a 25% chance that the melanoma would not come back.as stage IV. Probably worth running the risks involved with Ipi/Yervoy, even if there was only a 15% chance of it working.

On the other hand, I could have been one of the 25% of stage IIIc patients who have the WLE and the CLND and the melanoma never comes back.

As for there being 'no exceptions' – there are always exceptions! Especially with melanoma where we know the melanoma cells are attacked by the body's ummune system.

MoiraM
                          Participant

If a stage I melanoma is really a stage I and it is cut out properly, it will not 'come back'. All the melanoma cells have been restricted to the original place and will have been cut out. The only exception should be the small number of people who develop a second primary leision. Doing skin checks should be enough.

Stage II is less certain. The cancer cells have developed the abiity to invade other tissues and have started to do so. They doctors cannot find any evidence that it has got any further than the local area. They believe they cut out all the cells. However, they are wrong in some cases and some malignant cells have got past them. Doing an SLNB for stage II patients makes it less likely that they will misdiagnose stage III as stage II.

The English statistics suggest that the doctors get all the cancer cells for 8 out of 10 male stage II patients and for 9 out of 10 female stage II patients. I guess the 'unluckly' ones are either really stage III (some cells have got into the lymphatic system and travelled away from the original site) or possibly stage II where the margins of the WLE looked clear but were not.

I am stage IIIC – the advanced side of stage III. My doctor and I looked at the statiscs together. Even with a WLE and a CLND, I had only a 25% chance that the melanoma would not come back.as stage IV. Probably worth running the risks involved with Ipi/Yervoy, even if there was only a 15% chance of it working.

On the other hand, I could have been one of the 25% of stage IIIc patients who have the WLE and the CLND and the melanoma never comes back.

As for there being 'no exceptions' – there are always exceptions! Especially with melanoma where we know the melanoma cells are attacked by the body's ummune system.

MoiraM
                            Participant

Aubreesmommy41
                              Participant

Aubreesmommy41
                                Participant

Scared99
                                  Participant

I do not buy this for a second.  What you have on this forum are the rare people who have had an early stage melanoma return. 

Hell Troy Aikman was stage 2 melanoma in 1998 !   Most people who have a wide excision will not have to deal with this issue again.  

Scared99
                                    Participant

I do not buy this for a second.  What you have on this forum are the rare people who have had an early stage melanoma return. 

Hell Troy Aikman was stage 2 melanoma in 1998 !   Most people who have a wide excision will not have to deal with this issue again.  

Scared99
                                      Participant

Treadlightly
                                        Participant

This is a topic that pops up frequently on this forum…and I have been on this forum for nearly 6 years now…ever since my diagnosis with Stage IIA Acral Lentiginous melanoma. In November 2010 I had a WLE and SLNB and have, thankfully, been NED ever since. At the time, they took so much skin from my foot (about the size of the average lemon) that they needed to perform a full-thinckness skin graft to cover it.

After my initial treatment, I had check ups every 3 months for the first 3 years, and have since had twice per year check ups. At all of these visits, my doctor has checked my lymph nodes by palpating and feeling for swelling. They also look me over very thoroughly and ask if I have noticed anything new pop up. Many times I have asked them…"what would a recurrence look like?…to which they usually say…"a hard lump under the skin."

I hope my response gives you some comfort….but never let your guard down. I have not been on this site for many months, but I try to get back on it occasionally to remind myself that I need to be vigilant in this lifelong fight.

I do believe it is true that the horror stories of recurrence on this site seem more common because the healthy survivors are off happily living their lives.

Mark

Treadlightly
                                          Participant

This is a topic that pops up frequently on this forum…and I have been on this forum for nearly 6 years now…ever since my diagnosis with Stage IIA Acral Lentiginous melanoma. In November 2010 I had a WLE and SLNB and have, thankfully, been NED ever since. At the time, they took so much skin from my foot (about the size of the average lemon) that they needed to perform a full-thinckness skin graft to cover it.

After my initial treatment, I had check ups every 3 months for the first 3 years, and have since had twice per year check ups. At all of these visits, my doctor has checked my lymph nodes by palpating and feeling for swelling. They also look me over very thoroughly and ask if I have noticed anything new pop up. Many times I have asked them…"what would a recurrence look like?…to which they usually say…"a hard lump under the skin."

I hope my response gives you some comfort….but never let your guard down. I have not been on this site for many months, but I try to get back on it occasionally to remind myself that I need to be vigilant in this lifelong fight.

I do believe it is true that the horror stories of recurrence on this site seem more common because the healthy survivors are off happily living their lives.

Mark

Treadlightly
                                            Participant

Mark

Janner
                                            Participant

Last stats I saw are about 88% survival rates for stage 1b.  Call the 12% whatever you want, they dealt with melanoma again.  (Stage 1b covers a pretty broad range of Breslow depth so not all lesions are really equal.  With cancer, 88% is pretty good but it's not 100% and no one is saying it Is.  The Internet has a built in bias.  Stage 1b is a good place to be, relatively speaking, but it's still cancer and unpredictable.  As far as things you can watch for, I think new and different still applies. Whether it is a skin lesion or something unusual for you.

Janner
                                              Participant

Last stats I saw are about 88% survival rates for stage 1b.  Call the 12% whatever you want, they dealt with melanoma again.  (Stage 1b covers a pretty broad range of Breslow depth so not all lesions are really equal.  With cancer, 88% is pretty good but it's not 100% and no one is saying it Is.  The Internet has a built in bias.  Stage 1b is a good place to be, relatively speaking, but it's still cancer and unpredictable.  As far as things you can watch for, I think new and different still applies. Whether it is a skin lesion or something unusual for you.

Janner
                                                Participant

JC
                                                    Participant

these survival stats are 5 years. . but many of the stories are 7 years, 8 years, 9 years later….

JC
                                                      Participant

these survival stats are 5 years. . but many of the stories are 7 years, 8 years, 9 years later….

JC
                                                        Participant

jennunicorn
                                                          Participant

My two cents for stage I & II folks would be… did you live your life before your diagnosis worried every day you would get into a car accident and die or end up in really bad shape? I would say, probably not. There are more people dying from bad car accidents than progressing from stage I to IV and dying of melanoma. Live your life, take care of your body, and see your derm for skin checks. There isn't much else to do. Obviously you'll never forget you had melanoma and you'll never forget that it's not 100% cureable. But, just remember, every day you wake up and you're alive and healthy and make it home safely from the chaotic world out there, is another wonderful blessing. I am IIIB, my odds of making it to stage IV are MUCH greater than any stage I or II person, but I honestly hardly ever think about that anymore. I am living, I am breathing, and I am thankful for every beautiful second I have on this planet. I hope others struggling with the anxiety this disease brings can get to a place of peace as well.

jennunicorn
                                                            Participant

My two cents for stage I & II folks would be… did you live your life before your diagnosis worried every day you would get into a car accident and die or end up in really bad shape? I would say, probably not. There are more people dying from bad car accidents than progressing from stage I to IV and dying of melanoma. Live your life, take care of your body, and see your derm for skin checks. There isn't much else to do. Obviously you'll never forget you had melanoma and you'll never forget that it's not 100% cureable. But, just remember, every day you wake up and you're alive and healthy and make it home safely from the chaotic world out there, is another wonderful blessing. I am IIIB, my odds of making it to stage IV are MUCH greater than any stage I or II person, but I honestly hardly ever think about that anymore. I am living, I am breathing, and I am thankful for every beautiful second I have on this planet. I hope others struggling with the anxiety this disease brings can get to a place of peace as well.

jennunicorn
                                                              Participant

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics