The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Advice?

Forums General Melanoma Community Advice?

Participant

After being diagnosed with melanoma in my lymph node 3 weeks ago, I am going in to have my initial meeting with an oncologist/surgeon who specializes in melanoma.  My meeting is this Friday (10/31), and I'm assuming that we will talk about a lymph node dissection, and then treatment options following the surgery?  

Ive been reading different posts about various types of treatment, and wondered if you all have any sage advice for me?  Any questions (aside from the set questions that are on melanoma.org) that you think I should ask?  Any types of therapy I should avoid, or be careful of?  

Thanks in advance! 

Amy

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        jennunicorn
        Participant

Treatment options for the adjuvant setting which is what you'll be in are limited. Yervoy (Ipi) is the best approved option, has it's list of side effects but not everyone gets a bad side effect so don't assume you'll get one, just be aware of what they are to watch for signs. AVOID any talk of Interferon.. it's proven not to be any better than observation and makes patients very sick for a year. Clinical trials are the only way to get the other drugs like Opdivo (Nivo) or Keytruda (Pembro). Watch and wait is also an option. That's doing scans, bloodwork, and seeing your doctor often. IF anything came back, you'd address it then with surgery and/or treatment. Many stage 3ers have done watch and wait and never had the mel come back.

debwray
            Participant

Looks great for stage 3 and also looks like will start recruiting in April….good spot…

Deb

ajpeterson
              Participant

Will the oncologist bring this up?  Or is this something I should ask about? 

Viewing 1 reply thread
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics