The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Adrenal Gland Tumor Has Grown – Next Steps

Forums General Melanoma Community Adrenal Gland Tumor Has Grown – Next Steps

Participant

Hi to all. I am a Stage IV survivor, over four years since my Stage IV diagnosis. As some of you know, I had an unusually good response to Nexavar and have been on the drug with minimal side effects since initial treatment. I did get tested a few years ago and I am BRAF positive.

Hi to all. I am a Stage IV survivor, over four years since my Stage IV diagnosis. As some of you know, I had an unusually good response to Nexavar and have been on the drug with minimal side effects since initial treatment. I did get tested a few years ago and I am BRAF positive.

I am now faced with an adrenal gland tumor that has been there for three years, not doing much of anything until my last scan showed an almost doubling of size, It is now 5.4cm. Melanoma was confirmed by a fine needle biopsy, got the path report late last week. The plan is to remove that sucker and stay on the Nexavar. I am trying to avoid moving to another treatment for as long as possible, since I also have multiple sclerocis and psoriasis, both autoimmune diseases, that make me a questionable candidate for ipi and other immune based therapies. So my treatment options are limited and I want to preserve them for as long as possible. The thinking is that since I haven't had any new tumors in three years that perhaps the adrenal gland tumor were some errant cells and the Nexavar is still giving me significant benefit. The only other tumors I have had this time are two in my lungs that shrunk considerably during initial treatment and haven't grown for about three years. At my last PET scan they did not light up at all, so we think they might not be active at all. Both my general oncologist and Dr. Daud, at UCSF Melanoma Treatment Center, conccur with this plan. Which makes me very happy, because this is the direction I wanted to take when I heard the news about the tumor growth.

I am hoping to hear in a few days what surgical technique is recommended. My oncologist is talking to the SRS guys, the laproscopic guys, and the regular surgical guys to see if I am a candidate for a less invasive surgery than just cutting me open. In the meantime I am concentrating on having lots of fun, being with the people who I love, and trying to get my taxes done!

BTW, are there any fellow Melanoma Warriors out there who are Kaiser patients in the SF/Bay area? Haven't met anyone in quite awhile and would love to network with you!

Thanks to so many on this board who have provided me with information and support over the last four plus years. I have an intuition that I have many days, months and perhaps years of life ahead of me, and I intend to live each day as fully as possible.

Love to all!

Eileen L

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        lhaley
        Participant

Eileen,

I know I've already written to you but just had the a follow up you need to look into.  What will they do next when you no longer have your adrenal gland?  I went to my endocronologist yesterday and he told me that I now have Cushing's disease from the Dex. Because this is from steroidsd it should go away in time, however when I started reading of what the adrenal does.  So as part of your plan you need to also talk to an endocronologist to see what you will do after they blast or remove with surgery that you will do. 

Sending hugs,

Linda

lhaley
          Participant

Eileen,

I know I've already written to you but just had the a follow up you need to look into.  What will they do next when you no longer have your adrenal gland?  I went to my endocronologist yesterday and he told me that I now have Cushing's disease from the Dex. Because this is from steroidsd it should go away in time, however when I started reading of what the adrenal does.  So as part of your plan you need to also talk to an endocronologist to see what you will do after they blast or remove with surgery that you will do. 

Sending hugs,

Linda

lhaley
            Participant

Eileen,

Sending hugs,

Linda

MeNDave
              Participant

Thank for updating Eileen.  And for letting others know that there are other treatments out there that DO work!!

Best wishes,

Maria

MeNDave
                Participant

Thank for updating Eileen.  And for letting others know that there are other treatments out there that DO work!!

Best wishes,

Maria

MeNDave
                  Participant

Best wishes,

Maria

WendyR3
                    Participant

Hi Eileen,  I don't think we've met, but my husband is also Stage IV, with Kaiser, in San Jose.  I usually read the Melanoma International board, but I've started reading this one, too.  Jim was originally diagnosed in Jan, 2010 with a nodular melanoma on his upper right arm.  By September 2010, he was metastatic, to lungs, lymph nodes, and adrenal gland.  We've tried Temodar, Axitinib, and Ipi.  He progressed on all of them.  The axitinib was a clinical trial at UCSF with Drs. Daud and Algani.

Kaiser has nothing else to offer us, and we're still looking for possible trials.  But he's now metastatic to liver, kidney and brain, so time is running out.  The brain lesion was treated with cyberknife, and we just had a 4-week repeat MRI, and waiting for results.  It would have to be clear to be eligible for any other trials.

I hope you can get the tumor out from your adrenal gland. That's the one giving us the most trouble now. It grows so fast!  And I'm glad you've had a response to some kind of treatment.  What category is that treatment in?  Is it still available?  I think it's probably too late for us, but it's good to know something is out there,

Which Kaiser facility do you go to?  We were able to get the Ipi in San Jose, since it was approved by the FDA, but I don't think Kaiser advertises that it's available.  We've pretty much been on our own, doing research and asking for referrals.  We're trying to find a PD-1 trial he can qualify for now.  But this week we're in Hawaii, enjoying some good times!

Good luck with your options, and keep us posted!

Wendy

p.s. I have MS, too, but very mild. Just another dimension to the mix.

Eileen L
                        Participant

Hi, Wendy and good to hear from you. Sorry about your husband. Has anyone suggested he go to Riverside Kaiser for a consult? There is a Kaiser doc there, Dr. Gailiani,  who is a melanoma expert. Kaiser sends all of their  patients there for IL-2 treatment, although with the approval of Ipi, etc. I am not sure how much IL-2 they are doing anymore at Riverside for melanoma patients. I "googled" for his contact info and actually was sent to a link on the AIM board. Here is the info:

Regional Director of Advanced BioChemotherapy Program
                          Director of Hematology/Oncology
                          Kaiser Permanente Riverside Medical Center
                          10800 Magnolia Ave. #4ERiverside, CA 92505
                          Appts/Messages: 951-353-4558

As far as the drug I am on, Nexavar, it is not prescribed for Melanoma patients. When I was diagnosed over four years ago there was a Phase III trial of the drug for Melanoma patients. The results were so disappointing that they stopped the trial before completion. Interestingly, there are a few of us who seemed to respond. I am fortunate in that the drug was already approved for other cancers so my Kaiser oncologist prescribed it to me off label and the HMO paid for it. No other HMO would have shouldered the cost!

I wish you well in trying to find a trial for Jim. Enjoy Hawaii, live life to its fullest. That has been my philosopy since my diagnosis. BTW, I go to Kaiser in San Francisco. I have managed my care there by paying out of pocket for intermittent consults from Dr. Daud and then "convincing" my Kaiser onc to do the right thing. So far this has been a relatively easy process but I know that might change if Dr. Daud's recommendation diverge from what my KP doc is willing to do.

Take care, and keep in touch,

Eileen L

WendyR3
                          Participant

Thanks for the reference. Our oncologist has spoken with Dr. Galiani several times. My husband doesn't qualify for IL2 treatments, and it sounded too toxic, anyway.  I'm glad you've had some response, and that Kaiser will continue it.  We keep in touch by email with Dr. Daud and Algazy in case something else opens up.  And we're always checking the forums and clinical trial.gov.  When will they decide about removing the adrenal gland tumor?  Good luck with that!

Wendy

WendyR3
                            Participant

Thanks for the reference. Our oncologist has spoken with Dr. Galiani several times. My husband doesn't qualify for IL2 treatments, and it sounded too toxic, anyway.  I'm glad you've had some response, and that Kaiser will continue it.  We keep in touch by email with Dr. Daud and Algazy in case something else opens up.  And we're always checking the forums and clinical trial.gov.  When will they decide about removing the adrenal gland tumor?  Good luck with that!

Wendy

WendyR3
                              Participant

Wendy

Eileen L
                                Participant

Hi, Wendy and good to hear from you. Sorry about your husband. Has anyone suggested he go to Riverside Kaiser for a consult? There is a Kaiser doc there, Dr. Gailiani,  who is a melanoma expert. Kaiser sends all of their  patients there for IL-2 treatment, although with the approval of Ipi, etc. I am not sure how much IL-2 they are doing anymore at Riverside for melanoma patients. I "googled" for his contact info and actually was sent to a link on the AIM board. Here is the info:

As far as the drug I am on, Nexavar, it is not prescribed for Melanoma patients. When I was diagnosed over four years ago there was a Phase III trial of the drug for Melanoma patients. The results were so disappointing that they stopped the trial before completion. Interestingly, there are a few of us who seemed to respond. I am fortunate in that the drug was already approved for other cancers so my Kaiser oncologist prescribed it to me off label and the HMO paid for it. No other HMO would have shouldered the cost!

I wish you well in trying to find a trial for Jim. Enjoy Hawaii, live life to its fullest. That has been my philosopy since my diagnosis. BTW, I go to Kaiser in San Francisco. I have managed my care there by paying out of pocket for intermittent consults from Dr. Daud and then "convincing" my Kaiser onc to do the right thing. So far this has been a relatively easy process but I know that might change if Dr. Daud's recommendation diverge from what my KP doc is willing to do.

Eileen L

Eileen L
                                  Participant

Eileen L

WendyR3
                                  Participant

Hi Eileen,  I don't think we've met, but my husband is also Stage IV, with Kaiser, in San Jose.  I usually read the Melanoma International board, but I've started reading this one, too.  Jim was originally diagnosed in Jan, 2010 with a nodular melanoma on his upper right arm.  By September 2010, he was metastatic, to lungs, lymph nodes, and adrenal gland.  We've tried Temodar, Axitinib, and Ipi.  He progressed on all of them.  The axitinib was a clinical trial at UCSF with Drs. Daud and Algani.

Kaiser has nothing else to offer us, and we're still looking for possible trials.  But he's now metastatic to liver, kidney and brain, so time is running out.  The brain lesion was treated with cyberknife, and we just had a 4-week repeat MRI, and waiting for results.  It would have to be clear to be eligible for any other trials.

I hope you can get the tumor out from your adrenal gland. That's the one giving us the most trouble now. It grows so fast!  And I'm glad you've had a response to some kind of treatment.  What category is that treatment in?  Is it still available?  I think it's probably too late for us, but it's good to know something is out there,

Which Kaiser facility do you go to?  We were able to get the Ipi in San Jose, since it was approved by the FDA, but I don't think Kaiser advertises that it's available.  We've pretty much been on our own, doing research and asking for referrals.  We're trying to find a PD-1 trial he can qualify for now.  But this week we're in Hawaii, enjoying some good times!

Wendy

WendyR3
                                    Participant

Wendy

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics