The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

acral lentiginous melanoma- Seattle

Forums General Melanoma Community acral lentiginous melanoma- Seattle

Participant

I am a 36 year old female with a VERY heavy family history of cancer including a mother who had melanoma, breast cancer and ovarian cancer who died at age 51.

I have a dark wide line on my right thumb and a wide lighter line on my left thumb of which I have now been to two derms for.

The first told me it was concerning but she didn't have the medical experience to biopsy. The second agreed to biopsy then the day of the appt. changed his mind. I was so angry I actually broke out in hives.

So, now I am looking for a derm in seattle that can see me SOON adn biopsy this thing. Seattle Cancer Care referred me to UW Derm but their nail derm can't get me in till Jan its early Sept.!

There might be a doctor assoicated with Swedish who does this biopsy but they were not sure till they could talk to him when he is back in clinic later this week… which really did not make me feel great about this over all clinics knowledge.

Any advice?

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

Just a thought, but maybe a podiatrist?  They deal with toenails and do biopsies, I'm certain.  Can't imagine much difference between toe and thumb, really.  I've been to a few in my day and nail issues are certainly in there knowledge base.  A little out of the box, but maybe easier to get an appt.

Janner
          Participant

Just a thought, but maybe a podiatrist?  They deal with toenails and do biopsies, I'm certain.  Can't imagine much difference between toe and thumb, really.  I've been to a few in my day and nail issues are certainly in there knowledge base.  A little out of the box, but maybe easier to get an appt.

Janner
            Participant

Viewing 2 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics