The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Accelerated Benefit, with Life Insurance~You can take half now with no pay back if you live!

Forums General Melanoma Community Accelerated Benefit, with Life Insurance~You can take half now with no pay back if you live!

Participant

I just found out a week ago that Scott's life insurance policy has an accelerated benefit.  You can take half of the policy money up front and then the remaining half is paid out to your beneficiary upon your death.  I thought I'd share the info because I ran into it on a whim and would have never known.  No social worker, HR person or otherwise had mentioned it.  It appears that most policies have this.  If you are interested, find your policy and read up.  

I just found out a week ago that Scott's life insurance policy has an accelerated benefit.  You can take half of the policy money up front and then the remaining half is paid out to your beneficiary upon your death.  I thought I'd share the info because I ran into it on a whim and would have never known.  No social worker, HR person or otherwise had mentioned it.  It appears that most policies have this.  If you are interested, find your policy and read up.  

The money could be a great help for travel to trials, paying cobra or whatever, you can even take a vacation.  They don't care what you do with it. It's required that your physician state that you have 12 months or less to live.  But there is no pay back required if you don't die. 

Just thought I'd let everyone know and hopefully it can help someone else out. 

Lisa (Scott's wife)

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        kylez
        Participant
          That’s really good to know Lisa. I had no idea.
          kylez
          Participant
            kylez
            Participant
              Tina D
              Participant

I had never heard of this, either… good information to know. Thank you for sharing it…

Tina D
                Participant

I had never heard of this, either… good information to know. Thank you for sharing it…

Tina D
                  Participant

Moodypoodle
                    Participant

Mine was called a Terminal Illness Rider and I discovered it quite by accident while reading over my life insurance policy.  I applied and received half the face amount of the policy.  Everyone at the company –AIG–that I talked with was wonderful.  I was kind of hoping my oncologist would accuse me of jumping the gun when she had to fill out her portion BUT she didn't.  Sigh. So now we've paid off the house and my car.  A couple less things my husband will have to deal with when I "go" (assuming he'll be a basket case).  It's certainly worth checking into!

Ann

Moodypoodle
                      Participant

Mine was called a Terminal Illness Rider and I discovered it quite by accident while reading over my life insurance policy.  I applied and received half the face amount of the policy.  Everyone at the company –AIG–that I talked with was wonderful.  I was kind of hoping my oncologist would accuse me of jumping the gun when she had to fill out her portion BUT she didn't.  Sigh. So now we've paid off the house and my car.  A couple less things my husband will have to deal with when I "go" (assuming he'll be a basket case).  It's certainly worth checking into!

Ann

Moodypoodle
                        Participant

Ann

markdonald
                          Participant

Yeah that is really good. One needs to read his policy and know what does it offers. How much one has to pay while renewing it? flbestpublicadjusters

markdonald
                            Participant

Yeah that is really good. One needs to read his policy and know what does it offers. How much one has to pay while renewing it? flbestpublicadjusters

markdonald
                              Participant

allanwiller
                                Participant

Universal term life insurance is a combo of term life insurance and universal life insurance. It is a kind of term life insurance. Term life insurance is insurance for a specific term period for instance from 5-30 years.

allanwiller
                                  Participant

Universal term life insurance is a combo of term life insurance and universal life insurance. It is a kind of term life insurance. Term life insurance is insurance for a specific term period for instance from 5-30 years.

allanwiller
                                    Participant

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics