The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

A Zelboraf Update

Forums General Melanoma Community A Zelboraf Update

Participant

Hi everyone,

I had scans this past Monday and yesterday met with my doctor for the results – NO CHANGE from previous scans.  It’s now been 28 months since I started on Zelboraf and 19 months since the PET scan stopped lighting up.

I get a through physical exam including blood work and EKGs (three of them).  My doctor and her staff consider me a “boring” patient.  It’s great to be boring!

I got another six week supply of pills with next scheduled scans for July 30th.

Dick

Hi everyone,

I had scans this past Monday and yesterday met with my doctor for the results – NO CHANGE from previous scans.  It’s now been 28 months since I started on Zelboraf and 19 months since the PET scan stopped lighting up.

I get a through physical exam including blood work and EKGs (three of them).  My doctor and her staff consider me a “boring” patient.  It’s great to be boring!

I got another six week supply of pills with next scheduled scans for July 30th.

Dick

Viewing 44 reply threads
    • Replies
        aldakota22
        Participant

Great news Dick.Like you I am Z  but only for 9 1/2 months.Love the stuff.Thank God it works so good Say prayers every night that it continues for all of us on it.Like you say boring is good. Al the best.  Al

aldakota22
          Participant

Great news Dick.Like you I am Z  but only for 9 1/2 months.Love the stuff.Thank God it works so good Say prayers every night that it continues for all of us on it.Like you say boring is good. Al the best.  Al

aldakota22
            Participant

Erinmay22
                Participant

That's great!  I too hope Z works like that for me!  I was a boring patient for a little over a year until in May when Melanoma showed it's ugly head in my small intestine (at least they think it's Melanoma).  So started Z May 30th.  Took it on full dose for 10 days until I got a chin to toes rash.  Stopped for a few days and back on it at 3 pills 2x's per day.  Will have my first set of scans mid July!  Let's hope it's doing it's thing!  Horrible joint pain the last few days 🙁  but if it's working I'll deal with the joint pain.

Thanks for sharing the good news!

Erin

Erinmay22
                  Participant

That's great!  I too hope Z works like that for me!  I was a boring patient for a little over a year until in May when Melanoma showed it's ugly head in my small intestine (at least they think it's Melanoma).  So started Z May 30th.  Took it on full dose for 10 days until I got a chin to toes rash.  Stopped for a few days and back on it at 3 pills 2x's per day.  Will have my first set of scans mid July!  Let's hope it's doing it's thing!  Horrible joint pain the last few days 🙁  but if it's working I'll deal with the joint pain.

Erin

Erinmay22
                    Participant

Erin

H555
                    Participant

Congratulations Dick. you are evidence of my hope. I've been on Zelboraf since April 9 and 90+% of my lung mets are gone, those that remain are half the size they were when I sstarted taking it. let's hope the researchers and pharma companies develop or refine MEK because there's a growing number of melanoma pts getting treated with Zelboraf.

Ron

H555
                      Participant

Congratulations Dick. you are evidence of my hope. I've been on Zelboraf since April 9 and 90+% of my lung mets are gone, those that remain are half the size they were when I sstarted taking it. let's hope the researchers and pharma companies develop or refine MEK because there's a growing number of melanoma pts getting treated with Zelboraf.

Ron

H555
                        Participant

Ron

lhaley
                          Participant

Great news!!!  Since you have been NED for so long have they ever discussed you taking a break from it? 

Linda

lhaley
                            Participant

Great news!!!  Since you have been NED for so long have they ever discussed you taking a break from it? 

Linda

Richard_K
                                Participant

Linda

There have been no discussions with me about stopping Zelboraf.  It is a great hope of mine that by still being in the trial, information will be found about my response that will help others.

Dick

Richard_K
                                  Participant

Linda

There have been no discussions with me about stopping Zelboraf.  It is a great hope of mine that by still being in the trial, information will be found about my response that will help others.

Dick

Richard_K
                                    Participant

Linda

Dick

lhaley
                                    Participant

Linda

Eileen L
                                      Participant
                                        Wonderful news! I am a Zelboraf newbie, just over five weeks now. Scans June 28! Thx for sharing your encouraging news.
                                        Eileen L
                                        Eileen L
                                        Participant
                                          Wonderful news! I am a Zelboraf newbie, just over five weeks now. Scans June 28! Thx for sharing your encouraging news.
                                          Eileen L
                                          Eileen L
                                          Participant
                                            Eileen L
                                            triciad
                                            Participant

Congratulations!  Thanks for posting such uplifting news.  Here's to many more decades of being "boring"!

triciad
                                              Participant

Congratulations!  Thanks for posting such uplifting news.  Here's to many more decades of being "boring"!

triciad
                                                Participant

Bruce Davis
                                                  Participant
                                                    Thanks for sharing this encouraging news. I’ve been on zel for 9 months….think this medicine is the only reason I’m still around… Nodules in the lungs have reduced to 1/10 the size and stayed that way for the last 5 months. Wish you many more clear scans!

Bruce

Bruce Davis
                                                    Participant
                                                      Thanks for sharing this encouraging news. I’ve been on zel for 9 months….think this medicine is the only reason I’m still around… Nodules in the lungs have reduced to 1/10 the size and stayed that way for the last 5 months. Wish you many more clear scans!

Bruce

Bruce Davis
                                                      Participant

Bruce

hopefortomorrow
                                                        Participant

You are a walking miracle.  An inspiration to us all.  Be thankful for every day you have and keep being "boring".  God bless! 

hopefortomorrow
                                                          Participant

You are a walking miracle.  An inspiration to us all.  Be thankful for every day you have and keep being "boring".  God bless! 

hopefortomorrow
                                                            Participant

Richard_K
                                                              Participant

Thank you all for the kind comments.

Dick

Richard_K
                                                                Participant

Dick

Richard_K
                                                                  Participant

Dick

hope4cure1
                                                                    Participant

Yessssss! How wonderfully boring you are 🙂

Hope

hope4cure1
                                                                      Participant

Hope

hope4cure1
                                                                        Participant

Hope

Retired41505
                                                                          Participant

Dick, so happy to hear the good results. July 16 my son in law will have his first MRI after 6 weeks full dose of Z for brain mets. We're staying positive and praying.

np

Retired41505
                                                                            Participant

Dick, so happy to hear the good results. July 16 my son in law will have his first MRI after 6 weeks full dose of Z for brain mets. We're staying positive and praying.

np

Retired41505
                                                                              Participant

np

Retired41505
                                                                                Participant

np

Retired41505
                                                                                  Participant

np

Retired41505
                                                                                    Participant

np

Retired41505
                                                                                      Participant

My son in law is in his 7th week on Z. He just had his first MRI for brain mets.  .  .more then 14 tumors; largest the size of a golf ball. FABULOUS news!!! The is a significant reduction in the disease and ALL tumors are shrinking. Next MRI in 2-3 months. We're thrilled.

So hang in there everyone!! This stuff works

Richard_K
                                                                                          Participant

Thanks for the update – that is great news to share.

Dick

Richard_K
                                                                                            Participant

Dick

Richard_K
                                                                                              Participant

Dick

Retired41505
                                                                                              Participant

My son in law is in his 7th week on Z. He just had his first MRI for brain mets.  .  .more then 14 tumors; largest the size of a golf ball. FABULOUS news!!! The is a significant reduction in the disease and ALL tumors are shrinking. Next MRI in 2-3 months. We're thrilled.

Retired41505
                                                                                                Participant

Retired41505
                                                                                                  Participant

Did you or anyone have liver function problems? And if so, what was the treatment? Going off Z for a bit which of course is frightening. Can anyone please provide some encouragement? Thanks

Richard_K
                                                                                                      Participant

Neither my Oncologist nor PCP has ever mentioned any concerns about my liver.

Dick

Richard_K
                                                                                                        Participant

Dick

Richard_K
                                                                                                          Participant

Dick

Retired41505
                                                                                                          Participant

Did you or anyone have liver function problems? And if so, what was the treatment? Going off Z for a bit which of course is frightening. Can anyone please provide some encouragement? Thanks

Retired41505
                                                                                                            Participant

Retired41505
                                                                                                              Participant

Thanks for the reply Dick. CT scan today to see what's going on with the liver. Hoping just a break from Z for a fews days will get the liver enzymes back down. Glad to hear you never had problems.

Retired41505
                                                                                                                Participant

Thanks for the reply Dick. CT scan today to see what's going on with the liver. Hoping just a break from Z for a fews days will get the liver enzymes back down. Glad to hear you never had problems.

Retired41505
                                                                                                                  Participant

Sonhelpingdad
                                                                                                                    Participant
                                                                                                                      Hi Dick,
                                                                                                                      It’s inspiring reading your posts.
                                                                                                                      Perhaps you can help me with some advice for my father in law. He’s experiencing joint pain and doesn’t know if he should ‘push through it’ and keep trying to exercise, or rest/do nothing. Any tips?
                                                                                                                      (i’ve put his details in my profile).

Thanks for any help!

Richard_K
                                                                                                                        Participant

Very sorry to hear about your father-in-law.  My joint pain was/ is limited to my knees but it is hard for me to distinguish between Zelboraf side effect and what is probably some arthritis.  I did however have very painful feet, about five months into treatment.  For that I took it easy and bought better fitting shoes; after about a month pain subsided and today it is only an annoyance or mildly painful if I’ve been walking on uneven terrain a lot.

Dick

Sonhelpingdad
                                                                                                                          Participant
                                                                                                                            Thanks for the swift response Dick.
                                                                                                                            It seems some patients use steroids to help at the start of their Zeldoraf treatment. He’ll check with his onco.
                                                                                                                            He’s only just started Zeldoraf and has yet to have a check-up to see if it is working. He’s very anxious as this treatment is his last hope. I think he’d find it helpful to be on forums such as this one, sharing with people who are living with the same hopes and fears… But he’s terrified of reading facts that he’s not ready to know. He was only diagnosed a couple of months back and it has been a dark rollercoaster since the . How can i (softly) encourage him to get online and make contact with people?

Kyle

Sonhelpingdad
                                                                                                                            Participant
                                                                                                                              It seems some patients use steroids to help at the start of their Zeldoraf treatment. He’ll check with his onco.
                                                                                                                              He’s only just started Zeldoraf and has yet to have a check-up to see if it is working. He’s very anxious as this treatment is his last hope. I think he’d find it helpful to be on forums such as this one, sharing with people who are living with the same hopes and fears… But he’s terrified of reading facts that he’s not ready to know. He was only diagnosed a couple of months back and it has been a dark rollercoaster since the . How can i (softly) encourage him to get online and make contact with people?

Kyle

Sonhelpingdad
                                                                                                                              Participant

Kyle

Richard_K
                                                                                                                                Participant

Kyle

I am not surprised about his reluctance to jump into a forum like this one; the information can be overwhelming but can be very supporting.  Explore other parts of this site as there are a lot of resources including a Phone Buddy Program.  There are also a number of other informative sites.  One such site is http://www.facesofskincancer.org  Here you can find a number of information links and stories people have posted with their cancer stories.

Getting back to the MIF forum, there are several people posting with quite long term Zelboraf responses.  While not on Zelboraf, there is also one cantankerous (meant in the kindest of terms) individual who hasn’t posted lately but did so yesterday, Charlie S who has been dealing with melanoma for some 25 years.

Dick

Richard_K
                                                                                                                                  Participant

Kyle

I am not surprised about his reluctance to jump into a forum like this one; the information can be overwhelming but can be very supporting.  Explore other parts of this site as there are a lot of resources including a Phone Buddy Program.  There are also a number of other informative sites.  One such site is http://www.facesofskincancer.org  Here you can find a number of information links and stories people have posted with their cancer stories.

Getting back to the MIF forum, there are several people posting with quite long term Zelboraf responses.  While not on Zelboraf, there is also one cantankerous (meant in the kindest of terms) individual who hasn’t posted lately but did so yesterday, Charlie S who has been dealing with melanoma for some 25 years.

Dick

kath17
                                                                                                                                    Participant

Dick,

Did you ever have the rash associated with Z? If so, how long did it last? The fever and the rash are very irritating both physically and mentally. My husband started Z ten days ago and the rash began at day 9. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thank you….Kath

Richard_K
                                                                                                                                      Participant

Kath

So sorry you had to come here for information, but I hope things will work out for you and your husband.

I am a bit of an anomaly as my results and side effects have not been typical; yesterday marked 2 ½ years on Zelboraf for me.  I did develop a rash very quickly on but it never manifested itself into fever.  I did experience dryness and itching.  I used several over the counter moisturizing creams that helped with the dryness and once the dryness got better, the itching diminished.  The dryness lasted some 2-3 months but I still have some visible rash on arms and thighs.

Hope this helps.

Dick

Richard_K
                                                                                                                                        Participant

Kath

So sorry you had to come here for information, but I hope things will work out for you and your husband.

I am a bit of an anomaly as my results and side effects have not been typical; yesterday marked 2 ½ years on Zelboraf for me.  I did develop a rash very quickly on but it never manifested itself into fever.  I did experience dryness and itching.  I used several over the counter moisturizing creams that helped with the dryness and once the dryness got better, the itching diminished.  The dryness lasted some 2-3 months but I still have some visible rash on arms and thighs.

Hope this helps.

Dick

Richard_K
                                                                                                                                          Participant

Kath

Hope this helps.

Dick

kath17
                                                                                                                                            Participant

Dick,

Did you ever have the rash associated with Z? If so, how long did it last? The fever and the rash are very irritating both physically and mentally. My husband started Z ten days ago and the rash began at day 9. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thank you….Kath

kath17
                                                                                                                                              Participant

Dick,

Thank you….Kath

Richard_K
                                                                                                                                                Participant

Kyle

Dick

Richard_K
                                                                                                                                                  Participant

Very sorry to hear about your father-in-law.  My joint pain was/ is limited to my knees but it is hard for me to distinguish between Zelboraf side effect and what is probably some arthritis.  I did however have very painful feet, about five months into treatment.  For that I took it easy and bought better fitting shoes; after about a month pain subsided and today it is only an annoyance or mildly painful if I’ve been walking on uneven terrain a lot.

Dick

Richard_K
                                                                                                                                                    Participant

Dick

Sonhelpingdad
                                                                                                                                                    Participant
                                                                                                                                                      Hi Dick,
                                                                                                                                                      Perhaps you can help me with some advice for my father in law. He’s experiencing joint pain and doesn’t know if he should ‘push through it’ and keep trying to exercise, or rest/do nothing. Any tips?

Thanks for any help!

Sonhelpingdad
                                                                                                                                                      Participant
                                                                                                                                                        Hi Dick,

Thanks for any help!

Viewing 44 reply threads
                                                                                                                                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                                                                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics