The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

A Tribute to NicOz

Forums General Melanoma Community A Tribute to NicOz

Keymaster

I received an email from a long-time, close friend of Nicole (NicOz) and she gave me permission to share the note.  I hope everyone who reads this understands how very important you are to each other, and how very meaningful your interactions are.  Here's the note:

Dear Tim

We have never corresponded, yet I feel I know you, through my friend known to MPIP as NicOz.  Through her journey I have often come to this board to share in some small way Nicole’s journey.

I received an email from a long-time, close friend of Nicole (NicOz) and she gave me permission to share the note.  I hope everyone who reads this understands how very important you are to each other, and how very meaningful your interactions are.  Here's the note:

Dear Tim

We have never corresponded, yet I feel I know you, through my friend known to MPIP as NicOz.  Through her journey I have often come to this board to share in some small way Nicole’s journey.

I am so very sorry to say that Nicole has died as you have no doubt read on the MPIP board.  Nicole either died during the night of Sunday 18 September or the morning of Monday 19 September.  I do not yet have those details.  As you can image her family are dealing with their grief. If you feel this email is worth sharing I am happy for you to do so. 

I wanted to write because I know how important this board and the brave generous people who shared their stories were to Nicole at times.  How it comforted her, informed her, saddened her, angered her, but always made her feel a part of a community, which we her family and friends could never really experience being on this side of the melanoma battle.

Nicole was a warm, loving, caring person, who struggled with this disease as others do.  Often, more often than not, she found it easier to deal with this journey with anger and an acerbic wit in public, masking a heartfelt grief and fear, which she could not express, even at times to herself.  Behind the scenes I know that there were many she wanted to support and did a wonderful job of it. Nicole was a tenacious little Foxie Terrier.  Her bark was always far more than her bite.  It helped keep her strong in this battle, focused and determined. At times also driven like a dog with a bone.

Many on this board, some still here, some who are resting, and some who are no longer in need, meant a great deal to Nicole.  I could name so many and yet I won’t just in case I forget a name or get one wrong.  I would like to think they know who they are. You were of course, one of them, Nicole held you in high regard. The journeys she listened to, the discussions she entered, the stoushes she once told me helped her feel alive, yet at others times hurt her because she was misunderstood.  I use to tell her stay away, don’t get so involved, and let it go, they don’t know you. 

Then for the past six months I have come to this board and engaged with many of the people here, feeling their triumphs, hurting at their setbacks.  The way that the people here offer solace and concern, they empathize and support as well as inform and rally and I understood why Nicole found it so hard to stay away, to not get involved, why she engaged. I never intruded into what I felt was Nicole’s space, although many times I was tempted, to encourage, or to empathize or to simply comment on a post not responded to.

Nicole has left a piece of herself with many of us, she is my son’s God Mother, was a best friend.  These are but a few pieces I will carry with me always, she has left many pieces of herself with me and mine.  But I think that she would have liked to leave a mark, a deep, and a little shared thought with those whose journey she has participated and shared in, the community no one wants to be a part of, but receives so much because they are.  She would deny it, she would have something ready and clever and self deriding to say, to cover her soft spot but I think it important to share that I think if she felt she could, she would say….

Be true to yourself, be kind to yourself, be kinder to others and be kindest to snappy tenacious little foxie’s fighting the battle. Good journey’s all whose path was at one time joined with mine.

Donna

Viewing 27 reply threads
    • Replies
        LV
        Participant

Tim, thanks for sharing this. You know how much she meant to so many of us. Our lives are brighter for having known her, and even though today that brightness is obscurred by clouds, I know that sun is still there.

MariaH
            Participant

Very well said LV…

MariaH
              Participant

Very well said LV…

LV
              Participant

Tim, thanks for sharing this. You know how much she meant to so many of us. Our lives are brighter for having known her, and even though today that brightness is obscurred by clouds, I know that sun is still there.

MaryD
                Participant

What a lovely and touching tribute to Nicole! It truly capsulizes what this board is about and how much we touch each others lives through shared experiences, be they victories, setbacks, or grief.

Nic will surely be missed and I hope that sweet memories ..and her tenacity and spunk – will comfort her family during this very sad time. 

Mary

MaryD
                  Participant

What a lovely and touching tribute to Nicole! It truly capsulizes what this board is about and how much we touch each others lives through shared experiences, be they victories, setbacks, or grief.

Nic will surely be missed and I hope that sweet memories ..and her tenacity and spunk – will comfort her family during this very sad time. 

Mary

StanN
                    Participant

Thanks for sharing this letter Tim,sometimes people outside of MPIP,such as our families or friends,find it hard to understand, the connection we experience here. This letter vividly illustrates the how's and whys of being connected to MPIP.Thanks for keeping it[MPIP] going Tim,

StanN

StanN
                      Participant

Thanks for sharing this letter Tim,sometimes people outside of MPIP,such as our families or friends,find it hard to understand, the connection we experience here. This letter vividly illustrates the how's and whys of being connected to MPIP.Thanks for keeping it[MPIP] going Tim,

StanN

lhaley
                        Participant

Tim,

Thank you for sharing Donna's letter.  This letter so well explains how this community works.

Nic will be missed by so many of us here, but missed so much more for those who were in her life daily.  A very special person.

Linda

lhaley
                          Participant

Tim,

Thank you for sharing Donna's letter.  This letter so well explains how this community works.

Nic will be missed by so many of us here, but missed so much more for those who were in her life daily.  A very special person.

Linda

debbieVA
                            Participant

Tim ….

Thank you for posting this letter.  RIP Nic….sucha beautiful soul.

Debbie Stage 4 NED

debbieVA
                              Participant

Tim ….

Thank you for posting this letter.  RIP Nic….sucha beautiful soul.

Debbie Stage 4 NED

bcl
                                Participant

Thank you for sharing this Tim. 

And Donna, thank you for being such a stalwart supporter of our brave little foxie and her family. My heart goes out to you at this time of immense sadness.

I admired Nic for many many reasons, one of which being her ability to indiscriminately make friends, both here and in real life. Our girl was an atheist, yet her heroes were Jill and Eric, devout Christians. Nic simply saw people as people and she loved us all. No wonder so many of us will never forget her.

Funnybunny
                                    Participant

Linda

Thank you.  I figure I am in some excellent company.

Donna

Funnybunny
                                      Participant

Linda

Thank you.  I figure I am in some excellent company.

Donna

LV
                                        Participant

Donna, thanks so much for thinking of us at a time when you are dealing with your own grief. We will always be bound by our love for this crazy smart wild wonderful woman.

LV
                                          Participant

Donna, thanks so much for thinking of us at a time when you are dealing with your own grief. We will always be bound by our love for this crazy smart wild wonderful woman.

bcl
                                          Participant

Thank you for sharing this Tim. 

And Donna, thank you for being such a stalwart supporter of our brave little foxie and her family. My heart goes out to you at this time of immense sadness.

I admired Nic for many many reasons, one of which being her ability to indiscriminately make friends, both here and in real life. Our girl was an atheist, yet her heroes were Jill and Eric, devout Christians. Nic simply saw people as people and she loved us all. No wonder so many of us will never forget her.

JerryfromFauq
                                            Participant

Donna, This is a warm & loving tribute.  As we discussed with you in the chat room, last night, Nic was so special.  As I noted then, you are indeed welcome to come into chat and to post on the BB whenever you like.  WE certainly feel that you are a member of our group, wherether or not you have had the disease.  You have definitely been affected by this monster, this fact joins all of us together.  Please feel welcome to update us on events in Miss G's life.  Thank you for being such a special friend to such a special young lady that Nic was.  MAny still here are here as spouses and survivors of the fallen.  They need support and understnding that only ones like you can provide.  Many more of our group will one day be gone from this disease and it is great to know that the loved ones left will be comforted by hearing words such as you have expressed here. 

Again, Thank you!

JerryfromFauq Stage IV

Funnybunny
                                                Participant

Jerry

I could not leave without saying thank you.  For your help, support and words of Nicole the other night in the chat room.

Thank you also, you have made me feel incredibly welcomed smiley. I shall come here and whenever I have news of Miss G and Nicole's family shall share with you all. I will also come here because I have read of the many journey's you are on and have become involved.

Thank you

Donna

Funnybunny
                                                  Participant

Jerry

I could not leave without saying thank you.  For your help, support and words of Nicole the other night in the chat room.

Thank you also, you have made me feel incredibly welcomed smiley. I shall come here and whenever I have news of Miss G and Nicole's family shall share with you all. I will also come here because I have read of the many journey's you are on and have become involved.

Thank you

Donna

JerryfromFauq
                                                  Participant

Donna, This is a warm & loving tribute.  As we discussed with you in the chat room, last night, Nic was so special.  As I noted then, you are indeed welcome to come into chat and to post on the BB whenever you like.  WE certainly feel that you are a member of our group, wherether or not you have had the disease.  You have definitely been affected by this monster, this fact joins all of us together.  Please feel welcome to update us on events in Miss G's life.  Thank you for being such a special friend to such a special young lady that Nic was.  MAny still here are here as spouses and survivors of the fallen.  They need support and understnding that only ones like you can provide.  Many more of our group will one day be gone from this disease and it is great to know that the loved ones left will be comforted by hearing words such as you have expressed here. 

Again, Thank you!

JerryfromFauq Stage IV

jag
                                                    Participant

Donna, I am still in disbelief that she is gone.  It will take a while for many to adjust to this, I still have her blog bookmarked to go and check on her first thing everyday.  I will miss her tremondously.  Thank you for posting this Tim.

John

Funnybunny
                                                        Participant

John

Its Donna. The friends on Nicole's blog have been concerned about you so thank you for posting.  I have been able to let them know that you have posted here. It is very very hard and I empathise with your pain.  Please know that you too are cared for, as are all we have come to know through Nicole's fight with melanoma.  Please don't hesitate to keep in touch with us if you feel you can.  I feel very welcome here, and shall as Jerry has asked come back with up dates on Miss G.

Donna

Funnybunny
                                                          Participant

John

Its Donna. The friends on Nicole's blog have been concerned about you so thank you for posting.  I have been able to let them know that you have posted here. It is very very hard and I empathise with your pain.  Please know that you too are cared for, as are all we have come to know through Nicole's fight with melanoma.  Please don't hesitate to keep in touch with us if you feel you can.  I feel very welcome here, and shall as Jerry has asked come back with up dates on Miss G.

Donna

jag
                                                          Participant

Donna, I am still in disbelief that she is gone.  It will take a while for many to adjust to this, I still have her blog bookmarked to go and check on her first thing everyday.  I will miss her tremondously.  Thank you for posting this Tim.

John

jag
                                                            Participant

Donna, I am still in disbelief that she is gone.  It will take a while for many to adjust to this, I still have her blog bookmarked to go and check on her first thing everyday.  I will miss her tremendously.  Thank you for posting this Tim.

John

jag
                                                              Participant

Donna, I am still in disbelief that she is gone.  It will take a while for many to adjust to this, I still have her blog bookmarked to go and check on her first thing everyday.  I will miss her tremendously.  Thank you for posting this Tim.

John

jag
                                                                Participant

Donna, I am still in disbelief that she is gone.  It will take a while for many to adjust to this, I still have her blog bookmarked to go and check on her first thing everyday.  I will miss her tremendously.

John

jag
                                                                  Participant

Donna, I am still in disbelief that she is gone.  It will take a while for many to adjust to this, I still have her blog bookmarked to go and check on her first thing everyday.  I will miss her tremendously.

John

Bonnie Lea
                                                                    Participant

thankyou Tim for posting this.  I will miss Nic alot.  She made me laugh, she made me think hard and even harder at times.

Peace to her, and to her little child, and all those that love her.

Bonnie Lea

Bonnie Lea
                                                                      Participant

thankyou Tim for posting this.  I will miss Nic alot.  She made me laugh, she made me think hard and even harder at times.

Peace to her, and to her little child, and all those that love her.

Bonnie Lea

Funnybunny
                                                                        Participant

Tim

Thank you very much for sharing my note and for your support of Nicole.  I am glad that this support exist and just how important it is to those that need it.  I too have found myself in need, not because I have melanoma, but because I love someone who did. I have found great solace in the posts of Nicole's friends these past few days and fully intend on passing them on to Nicole's family.  I have bought a card, and should no one object, shall share these thoughts of Nicole and support for her daughter and family, with them to keep.

Thank you again

Donna

Funnybunny
                                                                          Participant

Tim

Thank you very much for sharing my note and for your support of Nicole.  I am glad that this support exist and just how important it is to those that need it.  I too have found myself in need, not because I have melanoma, but because I love someone who did. I have found great solace in the posts of Nicole's friends these past few days and fully intend on passing them on to Nicole's family.  I have bought a card, and should no one object, shall share these thoughts of Nicole and support for her daughter and family, with them to keep.

Thank you again

Donna

theonlydrea
                                                                            Participant
                                                                              Thanks for sharing Nicole will be missed dearly. Prayers to her little girl who she cherished and to her mom who in her word’s was like her best friend. Nicole emailed me evry so often and gave me so much support more then she’ll ever know. I’ll miss you Nicole.
                                                                              theonlydrea
                                                                              Participant
                                                                                Thanks for sharing Nicole will be missed dearly. Prayers to her little girl who she cherished and to her mom who in her word’s was like her best friend. Nicole emailed me evry so often and gave me so much support more then she’ll ever know. I’ll miss you Nicole.
                                                                                theonlydrea
                                                                                Participant
                                                                                  theonlydrea
                                                                                  Participant
                                                                                Viewing 27 reply threads
                                                                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics