The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

A Thanksgiving story

Forums General Melanoma Community A Thanksgiving story

Participant
      Happy Thanksgiving to one and all!
      I just got home a little while ago from a very long day in hospital. Had two Wle’s for my most recent lesions, a .3 on upper back, and a .5 on left upper arm. I must be slipping on my surveillance a tad, as those two broke my streak of eight insitu’s in a row previously. Surgery was a breeze, and I feel fine, although deeply affected by the day.
      Everything was sailing along smoothly right up until I was literally being wheeled into the OR, when a incoming trauma call went out over the hospital wide PA. I was quickly turned around , and back into waiting I went. It was immediately obvious whatever my surgeon was called to the E.R. for was serious. I got periodic updates from the nursing staff that it was a most serious trauma, and I would most likely be delayed for some time. Over the next couple of hours the pre- op waiting room went so quiet, and as just an observer, it was obvious everyone was having a strong emotional reaction. It was palpable. I watched and waited, and felt the room. After about three hours, I was heading back to the OR.
      I had previously asked my surgeon about the possibility of not having to go under general anesthesia, as it is sometimes a bit troubling for me afterwards. He told me to bring it up with the anesthesiologist, which I did, and which she quickly replied with compassion, but firmness that they had had a rough go of it in there, which I knew they had. I felt the enormity of the emotion , to which I said without hesitation ” knock me out”.
      Of what little I do know of the details of everyone working there today, I know enough to know they had a rough day, and not everyone made it home today. And yet they treated me after all that like I was the only one they were focused on. Their presence, and attention to me after all that, moves me more than I can say.
      With love and gratitude to everyone at Hilo medical center today, and to all of you, Happy Thanksgiving. Love and hug the one’s in your life.

Aloha,
      Bob

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        MelMel
        Participant
          Thank you for sharing your experience. All of us certainly have a lot to be thankful for even in times of distress. The medical profession is truly amazing and when it matters most, a good Dr. is worth his/her weight in gold. If I could do my career choices over again, if I did it for love and passion, I would do medicine without a doubt. If I did it for money, I would do dentistry. Medicine is challenging and stressful but the chance of saving people’s lives and making a difference when it matters the most is incredibly rewarding and fulfilling.
          Wishing you, as well as everyone else on this forum a terrific Thanksgiving filled with gratitude, love and a lot of hugs.
          Happy healing Bob.
          Melanie
          tedtell1
          Participant
            Bob;
            Thanks for sharing your experience. Sometimes we take for granted the amazing professionals who are battling with us. Obviously not the case with you.
            Happy Thanksgiving, may you conquer the beast and become NED this year!
            Ted
            Bubbles
            Participant
              Awwwh, so sweet, Bob! Thinking of, empathizing with and appreciating others during a very significantly difficult day of your own, says so much about you! Having taken care of patients in hospitals, intensive care units, their homes and ambulatory care since the age of 19 – I can still say that it was the only way to spend my life. It has been demanding work ~ physically and emotionally. It has been joyful and fulfilling. I have been blessed to see the best of humanity and share some small role in the lives of my fellow beings on this planet. I am thankful for that and for all the dear peeps like you who make up this forum. May your margins be clear!! Much love! Celeste
              Julie in SoCal
              Participant
                Hi Bob,

Wow! What a powerful story and reminder of the toll just doing their job takes on the doctors, nurses, and staff. I’ve seen my Rock Star Doc after he and his staff have had a “hard conversation” with a patient and the toll of their care and concern is visible. Yet after the hugs and greetings, it was as if I was their only patient that day. Yes it would not be an overstatement to say that I love these people!

I too have had a slash of WLEs with all of the sub-q’s I’ve had in my arm. I usually ask for a local analgesic, also because I don’t like the after-effects of the general or the added cost. And for the most part, the surgeon has agreed. There was only one time (when I didn’t have “the surgical god” surgeon) that the surgeon said no. I think he just rather preferred his patients in a comatose state :-0.

Enjoy the season! and peace to you and your house!
                Julie

jbronicki
                  Participant
                    Wow, what a visually powerful narrative Bob and beautiful. All these caregivers and healthcare providers are pretty amazing. I don’t know how they do it. I try to remember this when I complain about the system (but that is separate than the people in the system). I remember a similar story when I was in the Detroit Receiving ER when I worked in downtown Detroit at Wayne State. I actually went in the prisoners entrance accidentally 🙂 I was in there for 8 hours for a piece of glass in my foot (very minor) and proceeded to watch the staff take care of some of the toughest scenarios I’ve ever witnessed and watch people that have more strength and compassion than most. It was humbling.

I’m sorry you had to be in ER on Thanksgiving but so glad you had such a powerful experience. Aloha!

Viewing 3 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics