The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

A quick history of my melanoma

Forums General Melanoma Community A quick history of my melanoma

Participant
      Diagnosed December 1998, stage I b on my left cheek, wide local excision, sentinel node biopsy, ok, good to go.

September 2009 a persistent cough turns out to be stage IV melanoma in my lungs.

December 2009, fail IL2.

March 2010 start stage 2 clinical trial for vemurafenib. Hypermetabolic activity stops in December 2010 and tumors stop shrinking February 2010. (Probable remains as scar tissue.)

September 2014, melanoma stage I a removed from my back with wide local excision.

August 2019, stopped taking vemurafenib, 9 1/2 years after starting.

October 2019 and January 2020, follow up scans and blood work are all good.

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        Bubbles
        Participant
          Thanks for sharing and the update! You rock, Dick K!!!! I always point to you as one incredible representative of the potential for long term positive results from targeted therapy! May it long continue! celeste
          marta010
          Participant
            Dick – my husband, Larry, was diagnosed in March 2012 and I remember reading your story on one of the forums. We were in the initial shocked reaction stage and I was particularly interested as Larry’s first treatment (along with gamma knife for a brain met) was vemurafenib. I was so encouraged by your success and it seemed like a ray of hope during a very dark time. We started seeing a reduction in Larry’s lymph nodes in his neck almost within days. I prayed that he would have a long term response like yours. but he only lasted about 9 months before progression. Moved on to Ipi and only had a partial response. Next up was Dabrafenib, which he is still taking 7+ years later. You guys are the poster children for targeted therapy! Prayers for continued success!
            Ann
        Viewing 1 reply thread
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics