The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

A Melanoma Success Story

Forums General Melanoma Community A Melanoma Success Story

Participant
      I haven’t been on the board for a LONG time — I used to be julieincanada but I can’t figure out how to sign in under that with the brand new site!!!

Briefly my husband Peter was dx Stage 3 in August 2001. He was given the very dismal px of the time and had a node dissectrion, another surgery for a regional recurrence, a year of IFN and radiation. The treatment took a huge toll on him and our family. Peter ( we think because of having IFN and radiation at the same time) had severe brain fog and was off work for 7 years ( unable to drive for 3). He still has peripheral neuropathy , some bone necrosis in his rib from the radiation, and scarring from the radiation.

BUT he is here to tell about it. Was it easy ….no way….

the reason I decided to reconnect was a result of a conversation I had with our daughter yesterday. She was dx with a Brain Tumour 18 months ago.. the short term is wait and see post surgery and the long term in not very promising … she is 40. She has connected through a similar board for BT with a 16 year survivor … how great is that! Then I was thinking that there are probably many out there – they just get on with their lives and the “Board” time dwindles.

Soooo there is a survivor in BC In Canada who is 9 years post dissection, IFN, radiation and more that one bump in the road. He has a life, he has seen two grandchildren born and he has been back working for 3 years. Are we terrified everytime he goes for his annual check – you have to believe it …. He recently qualified for life insurance!!!

Soooo have the faith, focus on the success stories and in your darkest moments ( you have to believe we have had many) remember there is hope.

Julie

Viewing 17 reply threads
    • Replies
        ValinMtl
        Participant

Thanks Julie,  needed to hear this right now…much appreciated.  Val

ValinMtl
            Participant

Yes, I will pray for your daughter.  A good friend was diagnosed and operated on for brain tumor over 40 years ago….she is still with us today.  God bless.  Val xx

ValinMtl
              Participant

Yes, I will pray for your daughter.  A good friend was diagnosed and operated on for brain tumor over 40 years ago….she is still with us today.  God bless.  Val xx

ValinMtl
              Participant

Thanks Julie,  needed to hear this right now…much appreciated.  Val

nicoli
                Participant

Thank you so much Julie, I really needed this too. Dx 12/09 and have had only 6 months with no treatment since. Just finishing up radiation tomorrow and now there is another spot my doctor has to look at. Will this ever end?

Nicki, Stage 3b

nicoli
                  Participant

Thank you so much Julie, I really needed this too. Dx 12/09 and have had only 6 months with no treatment since. Just finishing up radiation tomorrow and now there is another spot my doctor has to look at. Will this ever end?

Nicki, Stage 3b

jimjoeb
                    Participant

Thank you I really needed to hear this to! Looks like I'll be stage III as well, I have a node dissection on June 10th with unknown follow up treatment.

jimjoeb
                      Participant

Thank you I really needed to hear this to! Looks like I'll be stage III as well, I have a node dissection on June 10th with unknown follow up treatment.

Carol Taylor
                        Participant

Beautiful Julie! Thanks for sharing and all the best to your Peter! Prayers for your daughter.

Lord, in Your mercy, make a way and make it so. Amen.

Grace and peace,

Carol

Carol Taylor
                          Participant

Beautiful Julie! Thanks for sharing and all the best to your Peter! Prayers for your daughter.

Lord, in Your mercy, make a way and make it so. Amen.

Grace and peace,

Carol

TracyLee
                            Participant

Julie,

Awesome, wonderful news! I'm especially excited that he actually got life insurance, since that was my fatal flaw not getting it before my dx last year…

TracyLee

Stage IV as of May 16 – scalp/neck/lungs

TracyLee
                              Participant

Julie,

Awesome, wonderful news! I'm especially excited that he actually got life insurance, since that was my fatal flaw not getting it before my dx last year…

TracyLee

Stage IV as of May 16 – scalp/neck/lungs

debandmike
                                Participant

What wonderful news. Every success story we read certainly helps to keep us positive. My husband and I are new to this journey but we are hopeful and pray that we will receive the same kind of news  someday in our future

Thank you and God bless,

Debby

boot2aboot
                                    Participant

me too, i needed to hear that…thank you

boot2aboot
                                      Participant

me too, i needed to hear that…thank you

debandmike
                                      Participant

What wonderful news. Every success story we read certainly helps to keep us positive. My husband and I are new to this journey but we are hopeful and pray that we will receive the same kind of news  someday in our future

Thank you and God bless,

Debby

King
                                        Participant

Julie,

Hi…remember me.  We were both friends with Patrick and Rejane (who I am still in contact with).  Thanks for the post.  So many people (especially the newbies) need to hear these stories.  I am so sorry to hear about your daughter.

One day at a time.

Stay Strong
                                          King (Kathie)

Stage IV 7/05 Liver mets

King
                                          Participant

Julie,

Hi…remember me.  We were both friends with Patrick and Rejane (who I am still in contact with).  Thanks for the post.  So many people (especially the newbies) need to hear these stories.  I am so sorry to hear about your daughter.

One day at a time.

Stay Strong
                                            King (Kathie)

Stage IV 7/05 Liver mets

JoanR
                                            Participant

Hi julie and Peter…so wonderful to hear from you again, I am not on often anymore, but hope to contribute more in the future. I saw Michael O'toole last week and he is another longterm BC survivor…lots of reasons to give Melanoma people encouragment. Also my friend her is in her 7th year after being told she had 2 months,.,,so for all you warriors keep up the good fight, there are lots on longterm survivors..and lots of hope for all of you….Cheer Joan

JoanR
                                              Participant

Hi julie and Peter…so wonderful to hear from you again, I am not on often anymore, but hope to contribute more in the future. I saw Michael O'toole last week and he is another longterm BC survivor…lots of reasons to give Melanoma people encouragment. Also my friend her is in her 7th year after being told she had 2 months,.,,so for all you warriors keep up the good fight, there are lots on longterm survivors..and lots of hope for all of you….Cheer Joan

JoanR
                                                Participant

JoanR
                                                  Participant

Viewing 17 reply threads
                                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics