The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

A little scared

Forums General Melanoma Community A little scared

Participant

Hello, my husband had his first scans since starting Nivo in May. He has had 3 infusions. The tumor in his lung is larger. He only has the one tumor and nothing new anywhere else. Brain is clear too. The oncologist talked with us about adding radiation. I have heard of lesions getting larger and then responding to treatment, is that true? Does this mean he isn't going to respond to the immunotherapy, or is it too soon to tell? Any insight or personal experience would be so appreciated. He also received his fourth infusion today, we were at MD Anderson for 13 hours today!

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        AMcReader
        Participant

Hi Amie, Sorry to hear you got startling news today. I’m relatively new to Stage 4 as well but i’m happy to share what I know and have heard in hopes that it helps ease your mind a bit:

1. Be patient with the patient. Sometimes it takes a little bit longer for anti PD-1s to really start working. My Onc told me that a lot of the time they will see response after the first three doses but sometimes it’s not until after the fourth or fifth dose. So, it may be that your husband’s body needs a little more time.

2. I recently had my first set of scans since starting Nivo and I had mixed results — nothing new, my smallest spot in the lungs gone, another spot in the lungs shrunk and the third one increased. I was bummed to find out that one had increased but my onc said it was within the pseudo-progression range and that eased my mind a bit. Maybe you could ask your onc about that.

3. My next plan of attack, if needed, is to incorporate SRS on the largest lung tumor because there have been several studies to show that using immunotherapy with SRS increases the efficacy of either tactic used apart.

4. If Nivo alone is not the right answer for your husband, you can always add in Ipi. The combination of Nivo and Ipi has a MUCH higher response rate.

Sending you a big, virtual hug. I know how scary this all is and there is nothing you want more than the news that everything is clear again but this is still the beginning of the fight and you have so many great options at your finger tips. You and your husband can do this! I know it!

Coragirl
            Participant

Hi Amanda, Thank you for responding. I read your profile and wow! Congratulations on your precious baby. I really admire your positive attitude. Our oncologist didn't mention pseudoprogression, but she is always so careful about what she says .I think he is going to be combining radiation with the immunotherapy and hopefully that will shrink the tumor. Good luck with your fight, I have a feeling you will be NED soon!

AMcReader
              Participant

Thank you so much, Amie! I have my bad days but optimism is my only option; I need to be here for my baby girl! Take care. 🙂

Happy_girl
                Participant

I LOVE dr. Kendra! I see her too! Did you just start seeing her when you became stage 4, or did you use her previously?  Also, were all of your melanomas new, or a reoccurrence of your initial? 

doragsda
                Participant

Hi Amie,

My wife is the melanoma patient, but I've been involved at every step.   The oncologist told us, when she started immunotherapy almost a year ago, that we should expect at least 12 weeks before anything started to really respond.   Your husband's last scans are probably still a little early to see what is really going to happen.   There are also lots of cases with a false progression where the tumors do increase before starting to increase, the theory seems to be that they are inflamed and undergoing an initial response to the treatments.  

Just to give you some positive hope, my wife had two brain mets diagnosed a year ago.  Today, after surgery on one, gamma knife, and ipi/nivo and now nivo, she is NED.  Good luck to you and your husband.

Coragirl
                    Participant

Thank you for sharing your experience with me. It is hard to be the caregiver because I feel I have no control. I just want my husband to beat this! I definitely feel more hopeful today than I did yesterday. Congrats to you and your wife on NED.

Hi Amie,

My oncologist stated that the expectation is to see the tumors swell and then reduce if the treatment is working.  I've been lucky to respond.  Try to be patient and see what the doctors have to say about your husband's progress.  I've been on immunotherapy since September 2016 and am still going in every two weeks for nivolumab infusions.  My advice is to focus on the good news.  He has no new tumors and no brain tumors.  This is great.  This journey is a tough one and I think maybe tougher for those that are caregivers.

I wish you both all the best and hope that the enlargent in the lung tumor is indeed the swelling due to the treatment.

Jennifer

Coragirl
                      Participant

Thank you Jennifer, my husband is going back to MD Anderson tomorrow to meet with the radiation oncologist. The plan is to combine radiation with the Opdivo.I hope you are well and enjoying your summer.

ed williams
                      Participant

Hi Amie, I thought you might like this link on using targeted radiation with immunotherapy. There are several small trial going on with solid tumors, not just melanoma. It is early days in data coming out of these investigations but it looks like a good option. http://blog.sitcancer.org/2018/01/why-combine-immunotherapy-with-targeted.html

Coragirl
                          Participant

Thanks Ed, my husband is meeting with Dr. Welsh tomorrow at MD Anderson. 

Bubbles
                          Participant

Hey Amie,

So sorry for what you and your husband are dealing with!  But Ed is exactly right.  We have learned that when we combine immunotherapy WITH radiation we get better responses than either therapy alone.  We have learned that is true for brain mets as well as tumors located elsewhere!!  His link reviews a bunch research noting all this…but if it helps to see even more affirmation, here are a ton of posts on that very topic:  https://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/search?q=radiation+and+immunotherapy

Wishing you both my best!  Celeste

Coragirl
                              Participant

Thank you for the information I have shared it with my husband too. I really hope it works for him.

MelanomaMike
                              Participant

Hello, like Jennifer & Amanda said, psuedo progression is a common place during treatment, our meds tend to swell up the tumor{s} & during our "scans" they will look as if they are getting larger! but, there are tumors that do get larger regardless of the said "meds" {just being honest}. Question, he has "one" tumor in his lung? why wasnt it taken out through Surgery? i too have Melanoma tumors in my lungs {both} and of course its way to many for surgery at this point, just curious! we wish him well! oh, i to am taking Opdivo but with Yervoy, i wish he was given both as a combo, stats are higher for tumor "shrinkage" then Opdivo alone…Its not to late though! but im no doctor…be well…Mike

Coragirl
                                  Participant

Hi Mike, I asked why not remove it too! The Doctor said it was a difficult surgery. I also asked about the combination immunotherapy and she said since he had low tumor volume she just wanted to do Opdivo alone. Honestly I have not been comfortable with my husband's oncologist, she doesn't seem to be aggressive enough. Wishing you good health.

Edwin
                                    Participant

radiation and immunotherapy:   My April PET scan and MRI showed a 5.5 mm diameter hollow tumor below my left jaw.  My oncologist sent me to see a surgeon.   He did not want to do surgery.   He did not think surgery would extend my life.  Previous surgery in that region would make new surgery difficult.   So, I had radiation to that tumor while continuing to receive Opdivo immunotherapy.  I will have a PET scan in September.

How aggressive should treatment be?  Your husband’s oncologist may want to avoid the combination immunotherapy risks.  When my oncologist recommended Keytruda immunotherapy, she told me she chose it because it had less severe side effects.  When that immunotherapy did not work, she switched me to Yervoy Opdivo combination immunotherapy.   The first treatment with this new immunotherapy made me so sick that my oncologist gave me the second combination immunotherapy treatment 9 weeks later.   After the combination immunotherapy most of my tumors disappeared.

Coragirl
                                      Participant

Thank you Edwin for sharing your experience. I hope you are doing well.

Edwin
                                        Participant

I feel well.  Since recovering from radiation I have run about 8 miles or bicycled about 24 miles most mornings.   I could not run between February and July 2016.  In March 2016 before beginning combination immunotherapy I asked my oncologist to estimate my survival time.  She told me: If the new treatment works, more than 1 year.  If it doesn’t work, less than 1 year.

Coragirl
                                          Participant

Wow you are fit! Happy to hear you have the energy to do the things you love. 

MelanomaMike
                                            Participant

Edwin! im so glad yer meds have worked well "finally" for you, i too just completed #4 of ipi/nivo today matter a fact {i still continue Opdivo though} , im glad i got passed the Yervoy end of it cuz what side effects i did have from start till now was a cake walk {or im just Billy Badass one of the two}, you stated you asked how long would you live if you where to start or NOT start Combo Therapy, for her to give you an actual timeline is amazing! i wish my Oncologist had a crystal ball, then again, its Kaiser she works for so… Like i tell myself & others, to bet all my money on a full remission is out the question, i pray for several more, if not many,  days to live, if our shared meds {ipi & nivo, pembro etc.}  keeps tumors from progressing & at a low roar, were gunna stick around for a minute and that gives all of us more TIME to love our family, get some lovin' ourselves, and say & do things we need to get off our chest's…

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics