The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

a few things……….

Forums General Melanoma Community a few things……….

• This topic is empty.
    Participant

I didn't get a chance to mention in the post after Dads last Dr. visit, some of her recommendations. First of all the doctor that Dad is primarily seeing is Dr. Freeman, she is not an MD but a DO.  I have done the research and found out that they are basically the same as an MD (Same amount of med school), but they have extra schooling for a "whole body approach" combining western medicine with osteopathic medicine,  including manipulation of the bones etc.  Dr. Freeman doesn't do any type of adjustments (in fact she recommends NO chiropractic "cracking of the bones" for cancer patients), but she certainly has taken the whole body approach, which we absolutely LOVE. We really appreciate that she has literally checked Dad for a lot  of different things (ie: fungus) and we have been able to "rule out" many things.  Overall, Dad is in excellent health (aside of Melanoma).  I think this will definitely be to his advantage in the future.  I asked Dr. Freeman of all of the supplements out there what she thought to be the most important, because there are literally thousands of things you can take and everyone has a recommendation.  The two things she said that were important were: Turmeric & Probiotics.  I found this interesting, I knew the probiotics would be beneficial to help prevent side effects, but have heard a lot about turmeric, but never really did much research.  She said that there have been studies that have shown using Turmeric while on Immunotherapy can help it to work better (I can't remember her exact wording). So of course Dad is now taking it via supplement daily.

I think it is important for all people going through cancer to really find out what else is going on in there body.  These are just my thoughts and by no means do I think there is a right or wrong way to do things.  What works for one doesn't for another.  

Best. Jen

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics