The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

9 years with Mel

Forums General Melanoma Community 9 years with Mel

Participant
      Well, 9 years and 2 days ago, I was diagnosed with melanoma on my birthday(or rebirthday-depending on how you see it). Life had plenty of rollercoasters since then-1 lung wedge biopsy, 6 rounds of biochemotherapy, 4 rounds of interleukin 2, complete removal of my left lung. 6 brain surgeries, 2 SRS procedures, 1 patch radiation, and finally out of the hospital for almost 2 years.

Well, 9 years and 2 days ago, I was diagnosed with melanoma on my birthday(or rebirthday-depending on how you see it). Life had plenty of rollercoasters since then-1 lung wedge biopsy, 6 rounds of biochemotherapy, 4 rounds of interleukin 2, complete removal of my left lung. 6 brain surgeries, 2 SRS procedures, 1 patch radiation, and finally out of the hospital for almost 2 years. In the mean time, I have seen all of the major national parks, gotten engaged- then married, started my own veterinary housecall service, and just this year we had our first son and named him after my oncologist-Jedd.
      Life has turned around and improved immensly for me, yet I read here nearly everyday. I take my antiseizure meds everyday-but I’m slowly tapering.
      Next year I am considering running the NY marathon, not just for me, but for all of the other patients who haven’t made it, for all of the people trying to beat it, and to thank God for the gift of life.
      God Bless you all and much hope for NED in the future.

Viewing 38 reply threads
    • Replies
        Fen
        Participant

Congratulations on your 9 yr NED!!  Thanks so much for posting and giving hope to everyone who is struggling through treatments.    Run the marathon and let us know how you did.    Fen

Fen
          Participant

Congratulations on your 9 yr NED!!  Thanks so much for posting and giving hope to everyone who is struggling through treatments.    Run the marathon and let us know how you did.    Fen

Fen
            Participant

Rebecca and Bob
              Participant

Congratulations! You have always been an inspiration for us and for anyone seeking out the positive outcomes. God Bless you and your family and keep enjoying each day.

Rebecca

Rebecca and Bob
                Participant

Congratulations! You have always been an inspiration for us and for anyone seeking out the positive outcomes. God Bless you and your family and keep enjoying each day.

Rebecca

Rebecca and Bob
                  Participant

Rebecca

lhaley
                    Participant

That is wonderful news!  With your melanoma you've been to hell and back but the "being back" part is the best.  You've been able to return to having a normal life with a new job and a great family!  Enjoy and I hope you never have to deal with mel again!

Linda

lhaley
                      Participant

That is wonderful news!  With your melanoma you've been to hell and back but the "being back" part is the best.  You've been able to return to having a normal life with a new job and a great family!  Enjoy and I hope you never have to deal with mel again!

Linda

lhaley
                        Participant

Linda

Kimmer
                          Participant

congratulations.

John (!!!) what you are too modest to mention but I will shout from the rooftops is how much help you are to those who are new, confused, frightened, and all of the emotions that go along with a melanoma diagnosis at any stage.

thank you. (generic enough?) : )

PS about that marathon….reading BORN TO RUN right now and considering running again in some of those funky minimalist shoes…you got any thoughts on that?

take good care, k.

Kimmer
                            Participant

congratulations.

John (!!!) what you are too modest to mention but I will shout from the rooftops is how much help you are to those who are new, confused, frightened, and all of the emotions that go along with a melanoma diagnosis at any stage.

PS about that marathon….reading BORN TO RUN right now and considering running again in some of those funky minimalist shoes…you got any thoughts on that?

take good care, k.

Kimmer
                              Participant

congratulations.

take good care, k.

lyndaloo
                                Participant

Thank you for sharing, I love hearing stories like yours.  I wish all people fighting this disease NED!!  God Bless you.

Lyndaloo

lyndaloo
                                  Participant

Thank you for sharing, I love hearing stories like yours.  I wish all people fighting this disease NED!!  God Bless you.

Lyndaloo

lyndaloo
                                    Participant

Lyndaloo

hope4cure1
                                      Participant

Oh John, your post makes a lot of us smile!  You are such an inspiration and great example of someone who pushes ahead with life, unwilling to let a diagnosis paralyze.   I hope you've scooped up your wonderful wife and baby ad danced around like a crazy man!!!!!

Hope

hope4cure1
                                        Participant

Oh John, your post makes a lot of us smile!  You are such an inspiration and great example of someone who pushes ahead with life, unwilling to let a diagnosis paralyze.   I hope you've scooped up your wonderful wife and baby ad danced around like a crazy man!!!!!

Hope

hope4cure1
                                          Participant

Hope

Phil S
                                            Participant
                                              Jag, We love to see your inspirational posts, love, love, love them! We also wish you many more years enjoying your family. Thanks for sharing your insight, your knowledge, and most of all your incredible story of success against the beast. You give us hope! Keep running and thanks in advance for honoring all of the warriors at the marathon next year. We are all a family, and it feels so good when one of us is doing well, keep it up! God bless, Valerie (Phil’s wife)
                                              Phil S
                                              Participant
                                                Jag, We love to see your inspirational posts, love, love, love them! We also wish you many more years enjoying your family. Thanks for sharing your insight, your knowledge, and most of all your incredible story of success against the beast. You give us hope! Keep running and thanks in advance for honoring all of the warriors at the marathon next year. We are all a family, and it feels so good when one of us is doing well, keep it up! God bless, Valerie (Phil’s wife)
                                                Phil S
                                                Participant
                                                  momof2kids
                                                  Participant

It's great to hear of 9 years, cuz honestly I just passed 1 year of diagnosis, straight to Stage IV, and I have little hope of making it that long, I've always looked on the downside of things, so it's hard to change that, but seeing others going that far, it gives me a bit of a push to the HOPES that I can DO THIS, and just maybe my body , and the doctors, and treatments, can help me. 

Just have to hope that each treatment can work, or give that Melanoma a bit of a kick, that the next treatment can kick it a bit futher to the curb…I WANT 9 YEARS….I want to see my kids grow up.  I want to see my youngest start Kindergarten…

Very happy that you've beat the beast this far and hope you continue to!

momof2kids
                                                    Participant

It's great to hear of 9 years, cuz honestly I just passed 1 year of diagnosis, straight to Stage IV, and I have little hope of making it that long, I've always looked on the downside of things, so it's hard to change that, but seeing others going that far, it gives me a bit of a push to the HOPES that I can DO THIS, and just maybe my body , and the doctors, and treatments, can help me. 

Just have to hope that each treatment can work, or give that Melanoma a bit of a kick, that the next treatment can kick it a bit futher to the curb…I WANT 9 YEARS….I want to see my kids grow up.  I want to see my youngest start Kindergarten…

jag
                                                        Participant

Pretty sure I was in your shoes about 7.5 years ago.  Never, never, never thought I had a chance.  when I went to brain mets I was sure it was over.  Here I am though.  Prayers for you to be able to get through this mess.  I don't know why the hell I am still here, and I won't ever be able to pay people back for what they have done for me.  Just trying to think of a way to pay things forward.  

jag
                                                          Participant

Pretty sure I was in your shoes about 7.5 years ago.  Never, never, never thought I had a chance.  when I went to brain mets I was sure it was over.  Here I am though.  Prayers for you to be able to get through this mess.  I don't know why the hell I am still here, and I won't ever be able to pay people back for what they have done for me.  Just trying to think of a way to pay things forward.  

jag
                                                            Participant

momof2kids
                                                            Participant

James from Sydney
                                                              Participant

Hey John well done, keep kicking goals and lets look forward to Jedd's 21st birthday.

cheers

James

James from Sydney
                                                                Participant

Hey John well done, keep kicking goals and lets look forward to Jedd's 21st birthday.

cheers

James

James from Sydney
                                                                  Participant

cheers

James

kammariel
                                                                    Participant

Congratualtions on your improving health! There are only a few of you on this board with a history of brain mets who are beating it, and you're the only people giving me real hope at this point. My husband is going in for his 7th crani this Thursday. Any chance I could contact you by email for some support/advice?

kammariel
                                                                      Participant

Congratualtions on your improving health! There are only a few of you on this board with a history of brain mets who are beating it, and you're the only people giving me real hope at this point. My husband is going in for his 7th crani this Thursday. Any chance I could contact you by email for some support/advice?

kammariel
                                                                        Participant

jag
                                                                            Participant
                                                                              No problem!
                                                                              jag
                                                                              Participant
                                                                                No problem!
                                                                                jag
                                                                                Participant
                                                                                  No problem!
                                                                                Charlie S
                                                                                Participant

You know what JagJohn? Many come here obsessed with the thought of dying.  You on the other hand have always sought a prescription for living and it has been filled.

I own one hat and never wear it, but in reading your post know this:  I went and fetched that hat, put it on, took it off and tipped it to you.

Sure not all will make it to where you are, but many will, and i it is good to hear from one who has.

Great job, great life and again, my (one) hat is off to you for your ability to work the problem.

My best to you and your family.

Cheers,

Charlie S

Charlie S
                                                                                  Participant

You know what JagJohn? Many come here obsessed with the thought of dying.  You on the other hand have always sought a prescription for living and it has been filled.

I own one hat and never wear it, but in reading your post know this:  I went and fetched that hat, put it on, took it off and tipped it to you.

Sure not all will make it to where you are, but many will, and i it is good to hear from one who has.

Great job, great life and again, my (one) hat is off to you for your ability to work the problem.

Cheers,

Charlie S

Charlie S
                                                                                    Participant

Cheers,

Charlie S

FormerCaregiver
                                                                                      Participant

John, your attitude is truly inspirational!! You continue to defy the stats and give everyone here hope for the future. We need more people like you!!

You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
                                                                                        Participant

John, your attitude is truly inspirational!! You continue to defy the stats and give everyone here hope for the future. We need more people like you!!

Frank from Australia

Irish girl
                                                                                            Participant

Thank you so much for sharing your amazing battle, wishing you continued years of NED!

Irish girl
                                                                                              Participant

Thank you so much for sharing your amazing battle, wishing you continued years of NED!

Irish girl
                                                                                                Participant

Irish girl
                                                                                                  Participant

Irish girl
                                                                                                    Participant

Irish girl
                                                                                                      Participant

FormerCaregiver
                                                                                                      Participant

Frank from Australia

JerryfromFauq
                                                                                                        Participant

John,

Seems kind  of amazing that we are still here helping others (people and animals!).  I am pleased that I have "known" you for so long,  You experiences give me hope if things get worse again for me, that there are still possibilities.. 

JerryfromFauq
                                                                                                          Participant

John,

Seems kind  of amazing that we are still here helping others (people and animals!).  I am pleased that I have "known" you for so long,  You experiences give me hope if things get worse again for me, that there are still possibilities.. 

JerryfromFauq
                                                                                                            Participant

John,

Viewing 38 reply threads
                                                                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                                          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics