The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

9 years NED, stage IIIA

Forums General Melanoma Community 9 years NED, stage IIIA

Participant

Hi,

Hi,

Due to the big ol' storm coming through the east, my husband's oncology visit was canceled tomorrow.  But his bloodwork shows that he remains NED.  It was 9 years ago this month that he was diagnosed with Stage IIIA Melanoma – 1.33 mm non-ulcerated primary on the the tricep area of his right arm.  He had microscopic deposits in 1 node, found on sentinal node biopsy.  He had a complete lymphandectomy 6 weeks later  – other nodes were clear.  He did no additional therapies.  He gets a CT scan each year, and semi-annual bloodwork, and semi-annual oncology and dermatology visits.  We are vigilant but don't live in fear.

He was diagnosed a week or so after we returned from our honeymoon in New Orleans, a week after his 26th birthday.  We celebrate 9 years of marriage and 9 years of NED, as well as his 35 and my 33 birthday this month.  It's a good month…

I post an update for him every 6 months because I wanted to see these updates 5, 6,7,8, 9 years ago.

Wishing you all the very best health,

Wendy

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        BethA in VA
        Participant

9 years – YEA!  Glad the news is so good.  Keep posting these happy numbers  & good luck.  Beth 3/B

BethA in VA
          Participant

9 years – YEA!  Glad the news is so good.  Keep posting these happy numbers  & good luck.  Beth 3/B

JakeinNY
            Participant

Congratulations Wendy to you and your husband.

Keep posting at least once per year, please.

Hope is very important here.

JakeinNY
              Participant

Congratulations Wendy to you and your husband.

Keep posting at least once per year, please.

Hope is very important here.

Jenjen
                Participant

Wendy,

Thank you so much for posting this. I am 28 years old, diagnosed when i was 26, stage 3a , a couple of cells in the sentinel node only found with staining. It was not ulcerated, no regression, low mitosis, 2.4 mm. on my left foot. I had a total LND in my left groin with no other nodes positive. I did a year of interferon. Now I am just getting on with my life and going back to school to try anda get into the medical field.

I sometimes have thoughts about going back to school and making future plans, etc , like " why am i doing this if i am just going to die in a year or so"?! (this is exactly what my first a-hole oncologist told me) So stories like this really give me inspiration to keep living my life, eating well, and leading a healthy lifestyle. I appreciate this post more than you know. If you have any tips or lifestyle changes your husband has followed i would appreciate if you would share.

I wish more people in his position would share!

Thank you!

Jenjen 3a NED 18 months

Jydnew
                    Participant

Since my husband's diagnosis, he HAS returned to school – he had a BS before, but went back for a teaching certificate and then earned his master's degree and now teaches middle school science. 

After his surgery, he went with the mindset that he was cancer-free, which has allowed him to keep his stress level down.  Every time he goes to the oncologist, he's asked specifically about his stress level, so apparently, that's a big deal.  He keeps his stress level low through regular exercise and hobbies that he likes, but he really has no dietary changes.  Still enjoys good beer and eats pretty much like he used to (though we have always tried to eat as much unprocessed food, local farm raised meat and locally grown organics as possible and never eat fast food).

I don't know why he has continued NED – perhaps genetics, perhaps luck, perhaps ???  He has cancer running through his family – an uncle with lymphoma, his mom has breast, and a great aunt who died of melanoma.  I've read that these 3 cancers are related, or follow similar genetic paths.

I hope for continued NED for you, and no sense not working on that degree – when I think of all the things my husband and I may not have done in the past 9 years waiting for him to die, it's insane… we wouldn't have our house, our dogs, our property, and most importantly, our son and daughter – that's for sure! 

Jydnew
                      Participant

Since my husband's diagnosis, he HAS returned to school – he had a BS before, but went back for a teaching certificate and then earned his master's degree and now teaches middle school science. 

After his surgery, he went with the mindset that he was cancer-free, which has allowed him to keep his stress level down.  Every time he goes to the oncologist, he's asked specifically about his stress level, so apparently, that's a big deal.  He keeps his stress level low through regular exercise and hobbies that he likes, but he really has no dietary changes.  Still enjoys good beer and eats pretty much like he used to (though we have always tried to eat as much unprocessed food, local farm raised meat and locally grown organics as possible and never eat fast food).

I don't know why he has continued NED – perhaps genetics, perhaps luck, perhaps ???  He has cancer running through his family – an uncle with lymphoma, his mom has breast, and a great aunt who died of melanoma.  I've read that these 3 cancers are related, or follow similar genetic paths.

I hope for continued NED for you, and no sense not working on that degree – when I think of all the things my husband and I may not have done in the past 9 years waiting for him to die, it's insane… we wouldn't have our house, our dogs, our property, and most importantly, our son and daughter – that's for sure! 

Jenjen
                      Participant

Wendy,

Thank you so much for posting this. I am 28 years old, diagnosed when i was 26, stage 3a , a couple of cells in the sentinel node only found with staining. It was not ulcerated, no regression, low mitosis, 2.4 mm. on my left foot. I had a total LND in my left groin with no other nodes positive. I did a year of interferon. Now I am just getting on with my life and going back to school to try anda get into the medical field.

I sometimes have thoughts about going back to school and making future plans, etc , like " why am i doing this if i am just going to die in a year or so"?! (this is exactly what my first a-hole oncologist told me) So stories like this really give me inspiration to keep living my life, eating well, and leading a healthy lifestyle. I appreciate this post more than you know. If you have any tips or lifestyle changes your husband has followed i would appreciate if you would share.

I wish more people in his position would share!

Thank you!

Jenjen 3a NED 18 months

kbc123
                        Participant

Hello Wendy –

I have to say, reading your story made me feel SO much better today.  I am currently waiting to have my wide excision and sent. node checked.  Size was  1.01 on my back non-ulceratede.   Had lymph node mapping last week. ( most horrible test ever…)  My mole was smack dab in the middle of my back.  Mapping showed that they will be checking under my arm.   I feel like the story is so much the same as your husband's and I feel that your story is so inspiring to me, someone who is in that UNKNOWN STAGE of her disease right now.  It's the scariest thing not knowing.  That feeling of finding NED and to keep it going that long, THAT IS WHAT I WANT.  My stress levels are off the hook right now, ( between this new diagnosis for me as well as having three teenagers who are putting me over the edge ! ) Maybe that is the answer.  I need to find out where to put the stress. 

I also have breast cancer in mom, melanoma in great aunt (kidney cancer and colon cancer in grandmother and great uncle..)   Strangely very close to your husband's genetics…

Wishing you, your hubby and family all the best.  God Bless and BE WELL.

Kathy

kbc123
                          Participant

Hello Wendy –

I have to say, reading your story made me feel SO much better today.  I am currently waiting to have my wide excision and sent. node checked.  Size was  1.01 on my back non-ulceratede.   Had lymph node mapping last week. ( most horrible test ever…)  My mole was smack dab in the middle of my back.  Mapping showed that they will be checking under my arm.   I feel like the story is so much the same as your husband's and I feel that your story is so inspiring to me, someone who is in that UNKNOWN STAGE of her disease right now.  It's the scariest thing not knowing.  That feeling of finding NED and to keep it going that long, THAT IS WHAT I WANT.  My stress levels are off the hook right now, ( between this new diagnosis for me as well as having three teenagers who are putting me over the edge ! ) Maybe that is the answer.  I need to find out where to put the stress. 

I also have breast cancer in mom, melanoma in great aunt (kidney cancer and colon cancer in grandmother and great uncle..)   Strangely very close to your husband's genetics…

Wishing you, your hubby and family all the best.  God Bless and BE WELL.

Kathy

kateboston
                            Participant

Thank you SO much! I am stage 3a as well but only 8 months out from my diagnosis – hearing about your husband gives me faith that I will be okay!

kateboston
                              Participant

Thank you SO much! I am stage 3a as well but only 8 months out from my diagnosis – hearing about your husband gives me faith that I will be okay!

MariaH
                                Participant

Thank you so much for posting this.  My husband (also stage 3) just celebrated his 2 year NED status.  I love to read posts like this – he also didn't stop living, even got a big promotion at work (longer hours) and enjoys his beer.  He is sure to correct people that he "had" cancer, not "has".  May the both of you enjoy many more years of NED together!

MariaH
                                  Participant

Thank you so much for posting this.  My husband (also stage 3) just celebrated his 2 year NED status.  I love to read posts like this – he also didn't stop living, even got a big promotion at work (longer hours) and enjoys his beer.  He is sure to correct people that he "had" cancer, not "has".  May the both of you enjoy many more years of NED together!

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics