The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

9 months on BRAF/MEK trial and currently NED

Forums General Melanoma Community 9 months on BRAF/MEK trial and currently NED

Participant

My husband has been in the GSK BRAF/MEK randomized trial for 9 months now.  His last PET scan showed no evidence of disease.  I know that BRAF is not a permanent solution, but does anyone yet know about the long term prospects with the BRAF/MEK combo?  According to the oncologist my husband and one other trial participant out of the 14 in this trial had the most dramatic responses to the drugs.

I am thrilled, but keep waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Deborah

My husband has been in the GSK BRAF/MEK randomized trial for 9 months now.  His last PET scan showed no evidence of disease.  I know that BRAF is not a permanent solution, but does anyone yet know about the long term prospects with the BRAF/MEK combo?  According to the oncologist my husband and one other trial participant out of the 14 in this trial had the most dramatic responses to the drugs.

I am thrilled, but keep waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Deborah

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Richard_K
        Participant

Deborah

Well done.  While I am not on the combo, I am in the Zelboraf phase II trial and your husbands timing is almost identical to mine; after nine months my PET scans were also clear.  One year after that, I am still taking Zelboraf and my two tumors are a fraction of what they were and continue to show shrinkage with each suceeding scan.  Hope that shoe does not drop.

Dick

Richard_K
          Participant

Deborah

Well done.  While I am not on the combo, I am in the Zelboraf phase II trial and your husbands timing is almost identical to mine; after nine months my PET scans were also clear.  One year after that, I am still taking Zelboraf and my two tumors are a fraction of what they were and continue to show shrinkage with each suceeding scan.  Hope that shoe does not drop.

Dick

Richard_K
            Participant

Deborah

Dick

ipi in DC
              Participant

Hey guys, I am so glad for your results, I am looking at Zelboraf only if I show any growth on scans next week. What side effects have your had so far?

Thanks,

David

Richard_K
                  Participant

David

Side effects I experienced were:  body rash (none on face), body hair loss (very little on head), very sensitive to sun, mild neuropathy in both feet, mild swelling in left foot, warts on various parts of body with some taken off. All except one wart that was taken off was benign, one was a squamous-cell carcinoma.  Hope this helps and good luck.

Dick
                    Richard_K
                    Participant

David

Side effects I experienced were:  body rash (none on face), body hair loss (very little on head), very sensitive to sun, mild neuropathy in both feet, mild swelling in left foot, warts on various parts of body with some taken off. All except one wart that was taken off was benign, one was a squamous-cell carcinoma.  Hope this helps and good luck.

Dick
                      Richard_K
                      Participant

David

Dick
                      ipi in DC
                      Participant

Hey guys, I am so glad for your results, I am looking at Zelboraf only if I show any growth on scans next week. What side effects have your had so far?

Thanks,

David

ipi in DC
                        Participant

Thanks,

David

Viewing 5 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics