The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

8 years ago today, July 11, 2006

Forums General Melanoma Community 8 years ago today, July 11, 2006

Participant

8 years ago today my husband, Jim, was diagnosed with Nodular Melanoma.  Jim's Melanoma was on his scalp…and he made the decision to not do the WLE, SNB, or any other normal treatment.  He went the alternative way.  He was all about QUALITY OF LIFE, instead of the time remaining.  His was already vascular invasive when we found it.  For 4 years 2 months he led his life the way he wanted to. He was only sick for 3 months. He never questioned or regretted any of his decisions.  He was my hero, the love of my life, my very best friend, the wind beneath my wings,  Jim won his battle with Melanoma on Nov 30, 2010.

It has now been 3 years 7 1/2 months ….since the Angels took Jim home.  I think of you all often.  I come here everyday.  It is a part of my life.  Once a year I do a Melanoma Walk in Dallas, Texas on the first Saturday in May.

I am still working full-time at age 68, and will continue for a few more years.  I  have had to move my mama here and put into an Assisted Living…So I work, then go see her each evening.  Life has been hard, but I am stronger than I thought I could ever be.  I still am getting some counseling sessions.  It was so hard to lose the love of my life.  He passed 4 days before our 43rd anniversary. We were from that generation where the man took care of his wife. Well, I have learned to take care of myself.

I am here often to check on people…I don't comment a lot, but I read your stories.  I wish you all the very best, and however you fight this beast, give it your all, make your decisions, don't regret, and don't look back.  It looks like new and better options and trials are out there, and that is wonderful.

Take Care,

Sherron, wife to Jim (FOREVER & ALWAYS)

His profile is under my name – Sherron

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        Fen
        Participant

Sherron – I'm so sorry for you loss but admire the path you've taken.  It must be very difficult to learn to do all that Jim did for you, but it sounds like you have been successful at it.  You are a role model for all around you and I'm sure Jim is smiling down being very proud of how you've chosen to live your life.   Fen

Fen
          Participant

Sherron – I'm so sorry for you loss but admire the path you've taken.  It must be very difficult to learn to do all that Jim did for you, but it sounds like you have been successful at it.  You are a role model for all around you and I'm sure Jim is smiling down being very proud of how you've chosen to live your life.   Fen

rick1981
              Participant

Very touched by your story. Beautiful that in times of 70% divorce rates the two of you made it to close to 43 years and "forever and always". I can understand you still think of him every day! Be strong though & enjoy life. Best, Rick

rick1981
                Participant

Very touched by your story. Beautiful that in times of 70% divorce rates the two of you made it to close to 43 years and "forever and always". I can understand you still think of him every day! Be strong though & enjoy life. Best, Rick

rick1981
                  Participant

Fen
                  Participant

BrianP
                    Participant

Thanks for sharing Sherron.  Congrats on 43 wonderful years of marriage.  That is a fantastic accomplishment.  Thanks for staying engaged and for your melanoma walk participation.  Hopefully others in the future won't have to experience the loss you've had to endure. 

Brian

BrianP
                      Participant

Thanks for sharing Sherron.  Congrats on 43 wonderful years of marriage.  That is a fantastic accomplishment.  Thanks for staying engaged and for your melanoma walk participation.  Hopefully others in the future won't have to experience the loss you've had to endure. 

Brian

BrianP
                        Participant

Brian

Kim K
                          Participant

I remember and was shocked that much time has passed.  Wishing you well.

Kim

Kim K
                            Participant

Kim

Kim K
                              Participant

Kim

Gene_S
                                  Participant

• Marshall's Battle with Cancer | American Widow Project

americanwidowproject.org/…/marshall’s-battle-…

American Widow Project

It was April 2007, when I got the phone call from my husband, LCP Quintal, that he was coming home from Okinawa, Japan. That was when his journey began with melanomaskin cancer. Marshall … I saw the statistics on the internet.

Gene_S
                                      Participant

American Widow Project

It was April 2007, when I got the phone call from my husband, LCP Quintal, that he was coming home from Okinawa, Japan. That was when his journey began with melanomaskin cancer. Marshall … I saw the statistics on the internet.

Gene_S
                                          Participant

Ray

Gene_S
                                            Participant

Ray

Gene_S
                                              Participant

Ray

Gene_S
                                                Participant

American Widow Project

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics