The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

8 months Zelboraf

Forums General Melanoma Community 8 months Zelboraf

Participant

Hello everybody,

Hello everybody,

my husband had scans last week and everything looks good. We are so happy! There are still some lymph nodes enhanced but nothing has increased in size and there is nothing new. He is on Zelboraf now almost  8 months, crossing the median. Side effects are still manageable though he's had a rough time with pain (joint pain and skin sensibility). Doctors recommend to stay on Z. The other option would be a break, wait for progression and enter one of the Anti-PD1 vs. Chemo trials that have also reached Germany. I think we are not really ready for it yet because Z is working so well. But we have this option in mind and will again discuss it with the doctors.

All the best, Jenny

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        POW
        Participant

That is very good news, Jenny! Thank you for sharing!

I understand your husband wanting to stick with Zelboraf because it is working so well for him. With the pace of research and FDA approval (at least here in the States) it seems like if we can just hold the beast at bay for another 6 months or a year, other treatments will become available.

One good thing that is happening now is a clinical trial combining dabrafenib (which is like zelboraf so you have to have the BRAF mutation) with Yervoy. When they tried to combine Zelboraf with Yervoy, the combination proved to be too toxic. But dabrafenib and Yervoy might be better tolerated. 

Again, thank you for sharing your good news. I hope the Z keeps working for your husband for a long time to come.

POW
          Participant

I understand your husband wanting to stick with Zelboraf because it is working so well for him. With the pace of research and FDA approval (at least here in the States) it seems like if we can just hold the beast at bay for another 6 months or a year, other treatments will become available.

One good thing that is happening now is a clinical trial combining dabrafenib (which is like zelboraf so you have to have the BRAF mutation) with Yervoy. When they tried to combine Zelboraf with Yervoy, the combination proved to be too toxic. But dabrafenib and Yervoy might be better tolerated. 

Again, thank you for sharing your good news. I hope the Z keeps working for your husband for a long time to come.

POW
            Participant

bkinman
              Participant

That is great news.  I have been on the Zelboraf for almost 6 months now with good results.  My oncologist is now switching me to the newly FDA Approved dabrafenib (Taflinar) He says the toxicity and side effects are not as bad; alothough I think I have done quite well with the side effects.  The joint pain has subsided to a managable level.  Right now just dealing with diarrhea.  I am alittle nervous about switching bacause the Z is working, but I think it is the right thing to do. I have lost quite a bit of weight.  I also contracted a cdiff infection which caused more severe diarrhea and weight loss.

Once we get approved (pharmacy called today and said it was approved) and get on this med, he wants to add the trametinib (Mekinist) also approved by FDA in May.  Said it would probably take a little more work to get it approved in conjuction with the Taflinar since it has not been approved to be used together by the FDA yet.  They have applied for approval and are seeing good results.

Enough about me, I am just happy to see someone else with positive results.

God Bless

Becky K.

bkinman
                Participant

That is great news.  I have been on the Zelboraf for almost 6 months now with good results.  My oncologist is now switching me to the newly FDA Approved dabrafenib (Taflinar) He says the toxicity and side effects are not as bad; alothough I think I have done quite well with the side effects.  The joint pain has subsided to a managable level.  Right now just dealing with diarrhea.  I am alittle nervous about switching bacause the Z is working, but I think it is the right thing to do. I have lost quite a bit of weight.  I also contracted a cdiff infection which caused more severe diarrhea and weight loss.

Once we get approved (pharmacy called today and said it was approved) and get on this med, he wants to add the trametinib (Mekinist) also approved by FDA in May.  Said it would probably take a little more work to get it approved in conjuction with the Taflinar since it has not been approved to be used together by the FDA yet.  They have applied for approval and are seeing good results.

God Bless

Becky K.

bkinman
                  Participant

God Bless

Becky K.

Tina D
                    Participant

Glad he is doing well!

Tina

Tina D
                      Participant

Glad he is doing well!

Tina

Tina D
                        Participant

Glad he is doing well!

Tina

Viewing 8 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics