The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

7mos. post HD IL-2, neuropathy

Forums General Melanoma Community 7mos. post HD IL-2, neuropathy

Participant

Posting this for responses from other IL 2 warriors  as well as putting this post out there for any future searches someone might need. 

I am now 8mos. out from HD IL-2 treatment (4 hosp. stays, 2 courses) and as of last CT scan (12-9) , still responding.  Most disease has either disappeared or shrunk 80% or so.    So not really a complete responder as of yet, but hopeful I can get there!  Not complaining either.  Next scan in early April.

Posting this for responses from other IL 2 warriors  as well as putting this post out there for any future searches someone might need. 

I am now 8mos. out from HD IL-2 treatment (4 hosp. stays, 2 courses) and as of last CT scan (12-9) , still responding.  Most disease has either disappeared or shrunk 80% or so.    So not really a complete responder as of yet, but hopeful I can get there!  Not complaining either.  Next scan in early April.

In the meantime, I developed neuropathy in both hands and feet.  In Nov. I also developed tinnitus (ear ringing constant).  Dr. tells me these are side affects from the systemic treatment and it means my immune system is still reved up.  Anyone else experience the same types of things? ( It's always comforting to know you are not the only one, ya know?)  Dr. also says it could be life long issues  (not complaining again), just wondering if others were told the same? 

Do auto immune responses normally show up so long after treatment?   Anyone know how long your immune system keeps fighting without a little extra help (other treatment)?  I still don't quite understand how this cancer responds or quits responding, etc….maybe none of us do (except maybe JimmyB, *smile*).  Dr. is SO confident yet I sitll walk on shards of glass. 

I read and pray and support silently each and every one of you here, everyday.  I am just not a poster : (.  Drives me nuts. 

Karin 

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        aldakota22
        Participant

Glad and very HAPPY you are responding quite well.I am also a fighter in this war.I take Zelboraf & that  is working .On that treatment there are different side effects.A price we pay for Gods gift of life.Like you I pray for us all.

aldakota22
          Participant

Glad and very HAPPY you are responding quite well.I am also a fighter in this war.I take Zelboraf & that  is working .On that treatment there are different side effects.A price we pay for Gods gift of life.Like you I pray for us all.

aldakota22
            Participant

jim Breitfeller
              Participant

Karin, you state:

"Do auto immune responses normally show up so long after treatment?   Anyone know how long your immune system keeps fighting without a little extra help (other treatment)?  I still don't quite understand how this cancer responds or quits responding, etc….maybe none of us do (except maybe JimmyB, *smile*).  Dr. is SO confident yet I sitll walk on shards of glass. "

I finnished my therapy back in 2007, I also have neuropathy in both hands and feet and ringing in my ears still. My immune system is still working on overdrive but with no autoimmune disease.

Best regards,

Jimmy B

Karin L
                  Participant

Well then, that answers that! *smiles*  All good, I like that.  I'm sure with time I will get more used to the numbness.  I only recognize the ringing if I think about it for the most part too.  Small small prices to pay. 

Karin

Karin L
                    Participant

Well then, that answers that! *smiles*  All good, I like that.  I'm sure with time I will get more used to the numbness.  I only recognize the ringing if I think about it for the most part too.  Small small prices to pay. 

Karin

Karin L
                      Participant

Karin

jim Breitfeller
                      Participant

Karin, you state:

"Do auto immune responses normally show up so long after treatment?   Anyone know how long your immune system keeps fighting without a little extra help (other treatment)?  I still don't quite understand how this cancer responds or quits responding, etc….maybe none of us do (except maybe JimmyB, *smile*).  Dr. is SO confident yet I sitll walk on shards of glass. "

I finnished my therapy back in 2007, I also have neuropathy in both hands and feet and ringing in my ears still. My immune system is still working on overdrive but with no autoimmune disease.

Best regards,

Jimmy B

jim Breitfeller
                        Participant

Karin, you state:

Best regards,

Jimmy B

Dave G
                          Participant

Karen,

I'm new to the forum but read your comment about neuropathy and thought I'd let you know I developed neuropathy in my toes a couple years back when I was on Interferon treatments. Following appointments with numerologist and more blood work it was discovered I was low on B-12. So now I do take a B-12 supplement, daily when I remember, and although the neuropathy has not completly gone away it hasn't not gotten any worse.

Hope this helps.

Dave G
                            Participant

Karen,

I'm new to the forum but read your comment about neuropathy and thought I'd let you know I developed neuropathy in my toes a couple years back when I was on Interferon treatments. Following appointments with numerologist and more blood work it was discovered I was low on B-12. So now I do take a B-12 supplement, daily when I remember, and although the neuropathy has not completly gone away it hasn't not gotten any worse.

Hope this helps.

Dave G
                              Participant

Karen,

Hope this helps.

melissa ann
                                Participant

Hi Karen,  my husband also experienced neuropathy in his arms and hands after 2 courses of IL2.  He was unable to finish IL2 because of the neuropathy.  He finished 4 doses of IPI in October and as of right now is stable with some shrinkage in one of his two "spots."   His neuropathy is still there but is better than 6 months ago.  I am excited for you that you are responding and I wish the best for you!   Melissa

melissa ann
                                  Participant

Hi Karen,  my husband also experienced neuropathy in his arms and hands after 2 courses of IL2.  He was unable to finish IL2 because of the neuropathy.  He finished 4 doses of IPI in October and as of right now is stable with some shrinkage in one of his two "spots."   His neuropathy is still there but is better than 6 months ago.  I am excited for you that you are responding and I wish the best for you!   Melissa

melissa ann
                                    Participant

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics