The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

7 years ago this March.

Forums Caregiver Community 7 years ago this March.

Participant

After my 4th craniotomy, my neurosurgeon came in to tell my family that he had removed what would be the last melanoma metastases in my brain.  Up to that point, I had had 2 lung surgeries, 1 Video assisted Thorascopy followed by 6 rounds of biochemotherapy, followed by 4 rounds of interleukin 2, followed by a complete left pneumonectomy.  I went on to have SRS radiation (still got the tattoo on my forehead for the laser alignment) followed by a craniotomy when that didn't work, and 4 subsequent cranitomies (2 were double craniotomies) that is when they cut 2 holes in your head.  In between there was focal patch radiation where they create a cast for your face and give you blasts of radiation, I never lost my hair during chemotherapy, the radiation did it, I got married as a fat bald guy to the woman of my dreams (my backbone through all of this and to this day).  

Anyway, enough about that nightmare, there were good times too, trips to most of the national parks, the islands in New England, my cousin's wedding in Ireland, and even working at nearly every borough except Staten Island in NYC as a relief veterinarian.  It has been quite a journey.

Two more brain surgeries later (to clean up radiation crud), a year of not being able to drive due to seizures and Dilantin toxicity, I am now back on my feet and maknig up for lost time.  I am finally tapering off of my seizure medication.  

I was there for the birth of my son Jedd via invitro fertilization.  He is named after my oncologist (and personal hero-who I am sure to this day is as dedicated to his research and cancer patients as he always has been as he has been since he started-Dr. Jedd Wolchok.  Scroll down to the bottom of this article (that was almost 2 years ago on his 

http://www.fredhutch.org/en/news/quest/2013-12/revolutionizing-solid-tumor-treatment.html€

My wife  and I started our own mobile veterinary practice (she is a vet too.)  check it out.  I personally designed the sprinter procedure vehicle which has digital radiography, anesthesia for elective dental and surgical procedures.  Check it out:

http://www.gsvmobile.com

Anyway, now we are in the process of tearing down our old shack (Meredith and I bought it because she would be able to carry the mortgage on a 600sqft house-if I karked it (as NicOz used to say)) and are installing a n new modular home 3 times it's original size (1800 sqft)  Jedd made me do it as did adopting an early reitrement seeing eye dog last year on my birthday who put us over the edge.  We are renting a house across the street and hope to watch the demolotion and construction of it.  

Meredith was diagnosed with a primary melanoma (barely stage I) and I realized how difficult in can be to think of a loved one being sick.  She was a champion thoughout my whole treatment and was strong for her's too.

Needless to say, having cancer definitely got me used to big changes, being busy, and dealing with stress.  On my worst days I can say "At least I don't have my own brain surgery scheduled for today".  

In the meantime, I'm sorry that I haven't been here to help encourage people and direct them for the best treatments as much as I used to.  The only thing I can say in my defense is that my treatments (other than brain surgery) are virtually non-existent any more and I have been just a little busy .  My treatment strategy was in this order. Say your prayers,  Minimize tumor burden, get throughthe most difficult treatments early on-save the easy ones for when you are really debilitated stay.  Immunotherapy and surgery were the best ones for me.  Stay active and keep moving (I try to get in 10000 steps on my pedometer/day) -say your prayers again, hold hands with your best friend, and look both ways when crossing the street.  

I'd also like to thank the current melanoma "experts" i.e. patients who are experiencing their own treatments and passing on everyday advice to others.  Another resource I always found useful was google alerts.  I had one set for metastatic melanoma and one for brain tumor treatments.  You can set one up for yourself here-you will find out about the "cutting edge" stuff before your doctor does!

https://www.google.com/alerts

Another one when I was scanning for trials is

http://www.clinical trials.gov.

I am writing this to offer a bit of encouragement for all of you fully engaged in your own personal cancer battle-know that my prayers are with you and to say that you are welcome to e-mail me if I can offer any support:  I'd also like to say thank you to all of the caregivers as you are the glue that holds a patient together.  Some of them (my wife especially)are like crazy glue, which is fine-it is stronger even if smelling it makes you a bit dizzy.

I never though life would be going this well for me.  I never thought it would be as bad as it was when I was going through treatment either.  Either way, I still think of god everyday.  I don't know why I have been lucky enough to be writing this right now.  Hope isn't a bad thing.

e-mail: [email protected]

Viewing 17 reply threads
    • Replies
        Bubbles
        Participant

Well lived and well said, Jag! Thanks for sharing. Many more busy days to you! Celeste

Bubbles
          Participant

Well lived and well said, Jag! Thanks for sharing. Many more busy days to you! Celeste

jag
              Participant

Sorry for all of the grammatical errors, I posted that before I reviewed it.

jag
                Participant

jag
                  Participant

Bubbles
                  Participant

Brendan
                    Participant

Great to hear from you, JAG.  Having multiple brain mets myself I often think of you as my role model. Go hug your wife and wrestle Jedd.

Thanks for posting. 

Brendan 

jag
                        Participant

Hang in there brother!

I followed your instructions yesterday

jag
                          Participant

Hang in there brother!

jag
                            Participant

Hang in there brother!

Brendan
                            Participant

Great to hear from you, JAG.  Having multiple brain mets myself I often think of you as my role model. Go hug your wife and wrestle Jedd.

Thanks for posting. 

Brendan 

Brendan
                              Participant

Thanks for posting. 

Brendan 

kpcollins31
                                Participant

Great to hear! Sounds like you have clearly been through a lot with this journey – great to hear you coming through with a positive outcome.

Kevin

yazziemac
                                    Participant

Oh, I'm so happy for you!  I've really been needing good news like this lately, as I've been struggling with feeling pessimistic about my Stage 4 husband's future.  Thank you!

Yasmin

yazziemac
                                      Participant

Oh, I'm so happy for you!  I've really been needing good news like this lately, as I've been struggling with feeling pessimistic about my Stage 4 husband's future.  Thank you!

Yasmin

yazziemac
                                        Participant

Yasmin

jag
                                          Participant

Kick him in the a** that's what my wife used to do to me!

jag
                                            Participant

jag
                                              Participant

jag
                                                Participant

Thanks, I can't believe you just had major abdominal surgery ouch!, If you are currently NED, my next step would be to look for an anti PD1 drug, and or ippi.  They really do seem to work.  Hang in there!

jag
                                                  Participant

Thanks, I can't believe you just had major abdominal surgery ouch!, If you are currently NED, my next step would be to look for an anti PD1 drug, and or ippi.  They really do seem to work.  Hang in there!

jag
                                                    Participant

kpcollins31
                                                    Participant

Great to hear! Sounds like you have clearly been through a lot with this journey – great to hear you coming through with a positive outcome.

Kevin

kpcollins31
                                                      Participant

Kevin

Kim K
                                                        Participant

Congrats Jag on everything.  You are one of us old timers by now, been there, done that, got the T-shirt and a few scars.

I never knew you and your wife were veterinarians.  Again congrats on starting your mobile practice.  I used to do relief work in GA for 9 years before moving back to Hawaii.  I wish I knew you were in NY, I was at Plum Island for 2 weeks last summer.  I did manage to hook up with Carole K though, we had a blast.

Amazingly I am also still NED after VATS and IL-2 5 years ago.  Just had my second ACL reconstruction 3 days ago.  I told my surgeon, no biggie I have been through worse.  I must say though, the hamstring graft is a magnitude of order less painful than the BTB one.

Here's to us old timers and hot tub parties with Barth etc.

Aloha,

Kim

Kim K
                                                          Participant

Congrats Jag on everything.  You are one of us old timers by now, been there, done that, got the T-shirt and a few scars.

I never knew you and your wife were veterinarians.  Again congrats on starting your mobile practice.  I used to do relief work in GA for 9 years before moving back to Hawaii.  I wish I knew you were in NY, I was at Plum Island for 2 weeks last summer.  I did manage to hook up with Carole K though, we had a blast.

Amazingly I am also still NED after VATS and IL-2 5 years ago.  Just had my second ACL reconstruction 3 days ago.  I told my surgeon, no biggie I have been through worse.  I must say though, the hamstring graft is a magnitude of order less painful than the BTB one.

Aloha,

Kim

Kim K
                                                            Participant

Aloha,

Kim

jag
                                                                Participant

Great to here from you too!  I see your name come up pretty regularly, when I check out this website nice to see you still helping people..  I was very happy when you responded to IL2.  I was going to mention an apology for the things I said and did as a darksider, but it just didn't seem right to bring that back on the main board  I hated when people did that and I don't want it to end up back here again.  Part of how I got sucked in by it was how angry that made me.  People need to focus on getting better

I didn't really talk that much about working being a vet after a while, it was my getaway from reality and also held me together.  The crazy thing is I sort of miss the days of resting in a hospital bed during treatments, on some days when I work. and have to deal with the crazies.  Who would think of melanoma treatments as a rest?  I answered a phone call from our first client the day after my last brain surgery, and a business was born!

My oncologist Jedd and I get along well.  He actually helped to create the Caninen Melanoma vaccine (I don't know if you ever used it) He probably has saved more animal's lives than I have!   He definitely deserves a namesake.  

Did you hurt yourself working for the ACL?  Hopefully it was having fun and not animal wrestling.  Never heard of hamstring graft as a treatment I would assume you would have had a TPLO or TTA surgery performed wink.

Let me know next time you are heading out to Plumb Island, I have not yet hooked up w/Carole K.  She will send out a super supportive e-mails occasionally about a patient that just was diagnosed with brain mets.  She helped me too, she really is pretty dedicated.  

Well thats all I have to say about that!

Stay NED and keep on being a good vet

Oh and happy Pi day!

3/14/15 9:56.32-think about it.

jag
                                                                  Participant

Great to here from you too!  I see your name come up pretty regularly, when I check out this website nice to see you still helping people..  I was very happy when you responded to IL2.  I was going to mention an apology for the things I said and did as a darksider, but it just didn't seem right to bring that back on the main board  I hated when people did that and I don't want it to end up back here again.  Part of how I got sucked in by it was how angry that made me.  People need to focus on getting better

I didn't really talk that much about working being a vet after a while, it was my getaway from reality and also held me together.  The crazy thing is I sort of miss the days of resting in a hospital bed during treatments, on some days when I work. and have to deal with the crazies.  Who would think of melanoma treatments as a rest?  I answered a phone call from our first client the day after my last brain surgery, and a business was born!

My oncologist Jedd and I get along well.  He actually helped to create the Caninen Melanoma vaccine (I don't know if you ever used it) He probably has saved more animal's lives than I have!   He definitely deserves a namesake.  

Did you hurt yourself working for the ACL?  Hopefully it was having fun and not animal wrestling.  Never heard of hamstring graft as a treatment I would assume you would have had a TPLO or TTA surgery performed wink.

Let me know next time you are heading out to Plumb Island, I have not yet hooked up w/Carole K.  She will send out a super supportive e-mails occasionally about a patient that just was diagnosed with brain mets.  She helped me too, she really is pretty dedicated.  

Oh and happy Pi day!

jag
                                                                    Participant

Oh and happy Pi day!

jag
                                                                      Participant

Oh, I was kidding about the ACL surgery by the way.

jag
                                                                        Participant

Manfred
                                                                          Participant

Jag, nice to hear from you and the weaning off of the anti seizure madication.I am doing well after my second brain surgeries but I still have my lung tumors which seem to be stable.My oncologist at every visit says and I quote " Manfred I do not want to make you sick".This is sometimes hard to take but my wife tells me that I will die of old age and not cancer.So after almost 4 years I think my immune system is strong enough to keep the cancer under control and as long as this is the case no treatment for me according to the onc. Stay healthy,enjoy live and family.

Manfred

Manfred
                                                                            Participant

Jag, nice to hear from you and the weaning off of the anti seizure madication.I am doing well after my second brain surgeries but I still have my lung tumors which seem to be stable.My oncologist at every visit says and I quote " Manfred I do not want to make you sick".This is sometimes hard to take but my wife tells me that I will die of old age and not cancer.So after almost 4 years I think my immune system is strong enough to keep the cancer under control and as long as this is the case no treatment for me according to the onc. Stay healthy,enjoy live and family.

Manfred

jag
                                                                              Participant

Good to hear you are doing well Manfred!  When I first found the MPIP, I read up on the Patnet of a man named Allen Carr.  He was in his 70s and had biochemotherapy + 2 lung surgeries and was still sharp as a tack.  He had no plans to die and is probably still chugging along.  Haven't bothered him in a long time, but definitely was a good mentor for melanoma.  How could I be afraid when a 70yr old walked right through all of the things I was afraid of?

jag
                                                                                Participant

Good to hear you are doing well Manfred!  When I first found the MPIP, I read up on the Patnet of a man named Allen Carr.  He was in his 70s and had biochemotherapy + 2 lung surgeries and was still sharp as a tack.  He had no plans to die and is probably still chugging along.  Haven't bothered him in a long time, but definitely was a good mentor for melanoma.  How could I be afraid when a 70yr old walked right through all of the things I was afraid of?

jag
                                                                                  Participant

Manfred
                                                                                    Participant

Manfred

jag
                                                                                      Participant

JoshF
                                                                                      Participant

Always like to see a post from you; especially with great news…inspirational! Thanks for sharing.

JoshF
                                                                                        Participant

Always like to see a post from you; especially with great news…inspirational! Thanks for sharing.

JoshF
                                                                                          Participant

jag
                                                                                              Participant

No Problem Josh, stay strong and keep searching for inspirations.

John

jag
                                                                                                Participant

John

jag
                                                                                                  Participant

John

jag
                                                                                                    Participant

Sorry hit post too fast, either way, thanks and I wish you well.

John

jag
                                                                                                      Participant

John

jag
                                                                                                        Participant

John

Gail G
                                                                                                        Participant

Wow!  I just dropped by to share this site with a newly diagnosed acquaintance.  Your story is such an inspiration – thanks so much for sharing and sending good vibes and prayers that your triump continues for a long..long…long…etc etc time ๐Ÿ™‚

Gail (15 years out NED)

Gail G
                                                                                                          Participant

Wow!  I just dropped by to share this site with a newly diagnosed acquaintance.  Your story is such an inspiration – thanks so much for sharing and sending good vibes and prayers that your triump continues for a long..long…long…etc etc time ๐Ÿ™‚

Gail (15 years out NED)

Gail G
                                                                                                            Participant

Gail (15 years out NED)

Viewing 17 reply threads

Tagged: 

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                                          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics