The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

6 years NED with stage 3b Melanoma

Forums General Melanoma Community 6 years NED with stage 3b Melanoma

Participant

Hello All,

It's been such a long time since I have logged in or have thought about cancer. Almost 6 years ago I came on in search of support and information for my twin sister who was just diagnosed with stage 3b melanoma while 5 months pregnant. When I first came on I saw some may stories of loss. It weighed so heavy on my heart, and I mourned people and their stories. I prayed that my sister would be one of the survivors. I searched everyday for survivor stories to share with her, and to give myself some hope that she would be able to have a chance to fight and win. I promised myself early on that I would try to come back on the forums and update so that others searching for survivors would have the same hope that I needed 6 years ago. Each year that goes on I have the blessing of thinking about my sister's cancer less and less. I ususally feel a little pang of stress during her annual scans. Annual Scans! I remember when they were every 3 months, and then 6 months! We have lost many melanoma friends along the way and the beauty of this life and our gift of it is not wasted on us. My sister is doing fabulous and travels plenty, plays volleyball 3 times a week and loves life. Her son who she was pregnant with will turn 6 in January and is a true miracle. 

I remember thinking why are there not a lot of survivor stories on forums. Does anyone beat this disease, and someone said that they are out living life not posting on forums. If you are newly diagnosed and searching for the same hope that I needed 6 years ago I hope you read this and it brings you some comfort. Keep fighting and be your own best advocate! 

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        dentholla
        Participant

Thank you for taking the time to share your story.  I am a mother of twin boys (5) and you and your sister certainly share a unique bond.  God bless your family – and congrats on her remaining NED!  Wonderful news!

jtheisen29
            Participant

Thank You Dentholla! Yes twins do share a very special bond! I was fortunate to have such a understanding husband. He let me take off of work and basically move in with my sister. She said something that forever touched me, that if she couldn't take care of her newborn %100 she wanted the next best thing… her identical twin sister. I see that your husband was diagnosed, hang in there it's a tough road but there are people who survive it. 

jogo
              Participant

How wonderful for your sister, your nephew, and you!  I am two years NED and have just "graduated" to CT scans every six months.  My daughter flew in to be with me four times: for the surgery, before I entered a clinical trial, while I was hospitalized because of an adverse reaction to treatment, and to cook an early Thanksgiving dinner when I came home.  Last Christmas when I was visiting her and the grandchildren, while walking the dogs, my 11 year old grandson took me aside and asked, "Grandma do you still have the cancer?"  I said that I have CT scans every three months and I am NED, no evidence of disease, not expecting to die!  We did a happy dance-conga in the street with the dogs all the way home.

May you always have something to dance about!  Good luck!smiley

jogo
                Participant

How wonderful for your sister, your nephew, and you!  I am two years NED and have just "graduated" to CT scans every six months.  My daughter flew in to be with me four times: for the surgery, before I entered a clinical trial, while I was hospitalized because of an adverse reaction to treatment, and to cook an early Thanksgiving dinner when I came home.  Last Christmas when I was visiting her and the grandchildren, while walking the dogs, my 11 year old grandson took me aside and asked, "Grandma do you still have the cancer?"  I said that I have CT scans every three months and I am NED, no evidence of disease, not expecting to die!  We did a happy dance-conga in the street with the dogs all the way home.

jogo
                  Participant

jtheisen29
                    Participant

Thank You Dentholla! Yes twins do share a very special bond! I was fortunate to have such a understanding husband. He let me take off of work and basically move in with my sister. She said something that forever touched me, that if she couldn't take care of her newborn %100 she wanted the next best thing… her identical twin sister. I see that your husband was diagnosed, hang in there it's a tough road but there are people who survive it. 

jtheisen29
                      Participant

dentholla
                      Participant

Thank you for taking the time to share your story.  I am a mother of twin boys (5) and you and your sister certainly share a unique bond.  God bless your family – and congrats on her remaining NED!  Wonderful news!

dentholla
                        Participant

Viewing 2 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics