The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

6 year anniversary and reminder

Forums General Melanoma Community 6 year anniversary and reminder

Participant
      Hello,
      This month marks the 6 year anniversary since my initial Stage 1 diagnosis, 5 years since Stage 3 diagnosis, and around 4 years since my stage 4 diagnosis. The good news is that after my stage 4 diagnosis I was put on Optivo only and I had a complete response in clearing my liver mets. The not so good news is that after about 1 year on Optivo, two spots were removed from my small bowel, which were found to be melanoma. Some more good news is that after that surgery, I completed another 16 months of Optvio only and have not had any new metastasis and have been NED since Jan. of 2019 (with a “small” exception in the next paragraph). I have been done with the infusions since April 2020 and get PET scans every 5-6 months. It certainly has been an up and down 6 years, but I know how fortunate I am with the results/outcomes I have received. I can still feel that pressure in my chest and my stress levels rise when I get that reminder text that my next scan is coming up, but I do have hope that these therapies that I have received will continue to keep this disease at bay.

On another “preaching to the choir” note. Please remember to continue to see your dermatologist on a regular basis and be an advocate for yourself. Last year I had a very small, flat mole (1/4 size of a pencil eraser) on my leg. Had it for years, but it started to “flake”, like dry skin around it. My derm looked at it and said it was nothing. He has been incredible the last 5 years so I completely trust him, but after about a week something didn’t feel right about that mole. I called him and he said he would do a biopsy on it, if it would give me peace of mind. A week later…yep, melanoma in situ! He performed the WLE and all is good. As you know, the chances for a second melanoma are small, but not zero, so please stay vigilant. You know your body better than anyone.

Be well and stay safe!
      Steve

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        Bubbles
        Participant
          Thanks for sharing, Steve! Wonderful news and excellent reminder!!! Take care. Celeste
          ThinkingPositive
          Participant
            That’s great news Steve! Also, good reminder to stay on track with derm visits. Sorry to hear about another melanoma! Here is an article on new primary melanoma lesions after immunotherapy. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7495326/

I had a WLE two weeks ago for a moderate atypical nevus, and don’t like the two inch incision, but do appreciate the thoroughness of my dermatologist.

Have a great day! Cindy

Viewing 1 reply thread
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics