The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

6 month zelboraf update

Forums General Melanoma Community 6 month zelboraf update

Participant
      I got the call from my oncologists medical assistant today. Actual appt with the dr is next Wednesday. I’ve been om Zelboraf since April 8. A week earlier my radiation oncologist told us I wouldn’t last 2 summers without something like zelboraf. Thank God I have th BRAF mutation. I had an amazing response in th first 8 weeks, 90% of th mets in my lungs were either resolved or significantly smaller and the collapsed lobe on the left lung was reinflating. The next bi-monthly scan showed continued good response and today she said my scans were even further improved.

I got the call from my oncologists medical assistant today. Actual appt with the dr is next Wednesday. I’ve been om Zelboraf since April 8. A week earlier my radiation oncologist told us I wouldn’t last 2 summers without something like zelboraf. Thank God I have th BRAF mutation. I had an amazing response in th first 8 weeks, 90% of th mets in my lungs were either resolved or significantly smaller and the collapsed lobe on the left lung was reinflating. The next bi-monthly scan showed continued good response and today she said my scans were even further improved. I,am feeling very very fortunate.

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        Richard_K
        Participant
          So very happy to read this post. I was given 6 to 8 months before I started Zelboraf and I am now past 2 1/2 years on it. I hope you continue to have good results on it. How have your side effects been?
          Dick
          Richard_K
          Participant
            So very happy to read this post. I was given 6 to 8 months before I started Zelboraf and I am now past 2 1/2 years on it. I hope you continue to have good results on it. How have your side effects been?
            Dick
              H555
              Participant

Thanks Dick – I watch your posts and hope for the same success you're having. when I read the standard "it quits working after 6 to 8 months" i remember how long you've benefited from the Zelboraf.  My side effects are episodic. I have days when I'm moderately nauseous and just take promethazine for that, constant pain in the ball of my right foot that seems to get better when i use it more, i've got Celebrex for a bad shoulder and tylenol 3 when I need it, teeth are becoming more sensitive and I've lost a lot of hair. I've had a full beard since 1970 and it now looks much thinner, been pretty hairy all my adult life but no more. I seem to have a constant cold that borders on bronchitis with a mild cough i can't shake but have cough meds and Tessalon perles for that. I'm probably less sensitve to sunlight than most people on Zelboraf although i do burn much more quickly. We made a trip to Cairo and Kenya this summer to visit our son in the Peace Corps and I never had more than mild sunburn but I wear performance sun blocking shirts and use SPF 50 sunscreen. We were in the bush of Kenya and it never got out of control. all in all it's a good medication for me. I tried Interferon but only lasted 10 treatments of the first month but that was when I was stage 3. I went from stage 3 to 4 real fast with lots of mets in myh lungs and a collapsed lobe and I'd had a PET scan 5 months earlier that didn't show any hot spots so I consider myself very very lucky. I've also got prostate cancer that's micrometastatic but growing very slowly.

H555
                Participant

Thanks Dick – I watch your posts and hope for the same success you're having. when I read the standard "it quits working after 6 to 8 months" i remember how long you've benefited from the Zelboraf.  My side effects are episodic. I have days when I'm moderately nauseous and just take promethazine for that, constant pain in the ball of my right foot that seems to get better when i use it more, i've got Celebrex for a bad shoulder and tylenol 3 when I need it, teeth are becoming more sensitive and I've lost a lot of hair. I've had a full beard since 1970 and it now looks much thinner, been pretty hairy all my adult life but no more. I seem to have a constant cold that borders on bronchitis with a mild cough i can't shake but have cough meds and Tessalon perles for that. I'm probably less sensitve to sunlight than most people on Zelboraf although i do burn much more quickly. We made a trip to Cairo and Kenya this summer to visit our son in the Peace Corps and I never had more than mild sunburn but I wear performance sun blocking shirts and use SPF 50 sunscreen. We were in the bush of Kenya and it never got out of control. all in all it's a good medication for me. I tried Interferon but only lasted 10 treatments of the first month but that was when I was stage 3. I went from stage 3 to 4 real fast with lots of mets in myh lungs and a collapsed lobe and I'd had a PET scan 5 months earlier that didn't show any hot spots so I consider myself very very lucky. I've also got prostate cancer that's micrometastatic but growing very slowly.

H555
                  Participant

H555
                    Participant
                      I forgot to list skin tags and rash. I developed a bad rash at the end of my 2nd week. My oncologist had me cut back to 2 pills twice a day for a week then added 1 pill to mornings, that went well, then added 1 at night – for 3 pills twice a day. Then 1 more to mornings so 4 in the am and 3 in the pm and the side effects got worse so I cut back to 6 pills total per day. That’s worked well.
                      H555
                      Participant
                        I forgot to list skin tags and rash. I developed a bad rash at the end of my 2nd week. My oncologist had me cut back to 2 pills twice a day for a week then added 1 pill to mornings, that went well, then added 1 at night – for 3 pills twice a day. Then 1 more to mornings so 4 in the am and 3 in the pm and the side effects got worse so I cut back to 6 pills total per day. That’s worked well.
                        H555
                        Participant
                        Richard_K
                        Participant
                          Dick
                          aldakota22
                          Participant

Like you I also know I have been blessed.This Wed,. will be the start of my  13 month on "Z".Just waiting to get the word on my next scans to be officially NED.Still a llittle fuzzy on my last scan results.As in earlier posts side effects vary over time.Not overly sensitive to sun like most users.The worst side effect is the bouts of diarrhea for 2 to 4 days every 2 weeks or so.Stil working full time .No real trouble with fatigue.Will keep you in my prayers for long continued success with "Z".Beat the Beast.  Al

aldakota22
                            Participant

Like you I also know I have been blessed.This Wed,. will be the start of my  13 month on "Z".Just waiting to get the word on my next scans to be officially NED.Still a llittle fuzzy on my last scan results.As in earlier posts side effects vary over time.Not overly sensitive to sun like most users.The worst side effect is the bouts of diarrhea for 2 to 4 days every 2 weeks or so.Stil working full time .No real trouble with fatigue.Will keep you in my prayers for long continued success with "Z".Beat the Beast.  Al

aldakota22
                              Participant

H555
                                  Participant
                                    Outstanding Al. I’ve also been watching your success with Zelboraf. The larger the group of long term PFS the better. It gives people hope and hopefully results in quicker release of drugs like the MEK inhibitors in clinical trials now. I hate this disease and have vowed to do as much as I can to change the stats for me and all of us. Prayers for all of us
                                    H555
                                    Participant
                                      Outstanding Al. I’ve also been watching your success with Zelboraf. The larger the group of long term PFS the better. It gives people hope and hopefully results in quicker release of drugs like the MEK inhibitors in clinical trials now. I hate this disease and have vowed to do as much as I can to change the stats for me and all of us. Prayers for all of us
                                      H555
                                      Participant
                                      kellygrl
                                      Participant

Great to hear!! My husband has been on for 4 mos and his 11 brain mets have been shrinking! He feels great and minimal side effects! Continued luck to you! We will take down the beast!

Kelly

kellygrl
                                        Participant

Great to hear!! My husband has been on for 4 mos and his 11 brain mets have been shrinking! He feels great and minimal side effects! Continued luck to you! We will take down the beast!

Kelly

kellygrl
                                          Participant

Kelly

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics