The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

5 Year NED

Forums General Melanoma Community 5 Year NED

Participant

I can't believe that it has been 5 years since the surgery to remove the axillary lymph node that turned out to be melanoma. I have an unknown primary and after a full lymph node dissection, the one lymph node (2/3rds of a golf ball size) was the only one found positive for melanoma. I did 3 rounds of bio-chem in a clinical trial which was very challenging…….but I am still glad I chose this route.

I can't believe that it has been 5 years since the surgery to remove the axillary lymph node that turned out to be melanoma. I have an unknown primary and after a full lymph node dissection, the one lymph node (2/3rds of a golf ball size) was the only one found positive for melanoma. I did 3 rounds of bio-chem in a clinical trial which was very challenging…….but I am still glad I chose this route.

To help celebrate my 5th anniversary, I am running The Boston Marathon for the 11th time and second with the "Running for Cover" Melanoma Foundation of NE marathon team. This will be my 19th marathon and 7th since my diagnosis. Running has certainly helped me get through the past 5 years and it has also provided an avenue to promote melanoma prevention and early detection. I feel great that my message has changed the mindset of many friends, family and colleagues.

This  year I am running in honor of my healthcare team at Beth Israel…but please know I always run with those of you engaged in the battle with melanoma in my heart.

My best to you all!!

Kevin

Viewing 17 reply threads
    • Replies
        NancyGM
        Participant

Kevin, Congrats on your 5 years at NED and on your marathon accomplishments! Thanks for honoring everyone here  with your run.

NancyGM
          Participant

Kevin, Congrats on your 5 years at NED and on your marathon accomplishments! Thanks for honoring everyone here  with your run.

Vermont_Donna
            Participant

Dear Kevin,

CONGRATS on 5 years NED!! I hope to be able to say that someday too. Glad you enjoy running and way to go on running the marathons! I hear good things about Beth Israel!

Vermont_Donna, stage 3a

Vermont_Donna
              Participant

Dear Kevin,

CONGRATS on 5 years NED!! I hope to be able to say that someday too. Glad you enjoy running and way to go on running the marathons! I hear good things about Beth Israel!

Vermont_Donna, stage 3a

Rocco
                Participant

Hey Kevin,

Congrats on the 5 year mark! 

Is there a way we could support/sponsor your run if we so desired?

Rocco
                  Participant

Hey Kevin,

Congrats on the 5 year mark! 

Is there a way we could support/sponsor your run if we so desired?

King
                    Participant

Kevin,

Congratulations on making it to 5 years and remaining NED!!!  That is awesome.  You are such an inspiration and set a great example to show that there is life after melanoma.  My family will be cheering for you and all the other runners (athletes) running THE marathon.

That's great that you have been able to promote melanoma prevention through your running.  I know you have always been there to support others considering BioChemo and available to answer their questions.

Yes, it is hard to believe that it's been 5 years.  I remember one of your first posts (and I don't remember a lot of things).  Thanks for sharing this wonderful news.  Celebrate big!

Best of luck in running your 11th time in the Boston Marathon…impressive!  Go Sox!

Stay Strong
                      King

Stage IV 7/05  Liver mets

King
                      Participant

Kevin,

Congratulations on making it to 5 years and remaining NED!!!  That is awesome.  You are such an inspiration and set a great example to show that there is life after melanoma.  My family will be cheering for you and all the other runners (athletes) running THE marathon.

That's great that you have been able to promote melanoma prevention through your running.  I know you have always been there to support others considering BioChemo and available to answer their questions.

Yes, it is hard to believe that it's been 5 years.  I remember one of your first posts (and I don't remember a lot of things).  Thanks for sharing this wonderful news.  Celebrate big!

Best of luck in running your 11th time in the Boston Marathon…impressive!  Go Sox!

Stay Strong
                        King

Stage IV 7/05  Liver mets

MichaelFL
                        Participant

Great Job! I'm with you buddy!

[IMG]http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz239/mpw321/MVC-004S.jpg[/IMG]

MichaelFL
                          Participant

Great Job! I'm with you buddy!

[IMG]http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz239/mpw321/MVC-004S.jpg[/IMG]

BethA in VA
                            Participant

Wow…congratulations.  Five is a great number.  So nice to hear good news.  Keep it up!!  Beth 3/B

Terra
                                Participant

Congratulations! Good luck in the marathon!

Terra
                                  Participant

Congratulations! Good luck in the marathon!

BethA in VA
                                  Participant

Wow…congratulations.  Five is a great number.  So nice to hear good news.  Keep it up!!  Beth 3/B

JanefromMaine.
                                    Participant

KEVIN!!!!! πŸ™‚

Congrats congrats, and so happy to see you my friend πŸ™‚

Love the marathon celebration in Boston, how wonderful!

Call me crazy, but I am doing my first skydive end of May to bring awareness in month of may awareness months and also as a check off on my bucket list and to also celebrate my 5 year!! woo-hoo to us new englanders in celebration mode!

I will watch the board for how you do in your marathon and sooooo happy to hear of your 5 years!!!! Hugs oxo

PS~ I am now at Dana Farber, love that there is 3 great hospitals right there Beth, Dana and Mass General wow talk about jackpot melanoma options and care! Altho Duke saved my life, always greatful but love the 3 hospital connection here πŸ™‚

Cheers!

KevinM
                                        Participant

Janen,

My son sky dives in Lebanon Me…is that where you are going? He has been after me to get a jump in….this might be the year! Enjoy!!

Kevin

JanefromMaine.
                                          Participant

Yes! Skydive New England!! Lets keep in touch [email protected] I will let you know what date is picked if you care to meet up ok! πŸ™‚

JanefromMaine.
                                            Participant

Yes! Skydive New England!! Lets keep in touch [email protected] I will let you know what date is picked if you care to meet up ok! πŸ™‚

KevinM
                                              Participant

Janen,

My son sky dives in Lebanon Me…is that where you are going? He has been after me to get a jump in….this might be the year! Enjoy!!

Kevin

JanefromMaine.
                                              Participant

KEVIN!!!!! πŸ™‚

Congrats congrats, and so happy to see you my friend πŸ™‚

Love the marathon celebration in Boston, how wonderful!

Call me crazy, but I am doing my first skydive end of May to bring awareness in month of may awareness months and also as a check off on my bucket list and to also celebrate my 5 year!! woo-hoo to us new englanders in celebration mode!

I will watch the board for how you do in your marathon and sooooo happy to hear of your 5 years!!!! Hugs oxo

PS~ I am now at Dana Farber, love that there is 3 great hospitals right there Beth, Dana and Mass General wow talk about jackpot melanoma options and care! Altho Duke saved my life, always greatful but love the 3 hospital connection here πŸ™‚

Cheers!

KevinM
                                                Participant

Thank you all for the words of encouragement…they mean a lot to me!

Kein

KevinM
                                                  Participant

Thank you all for the words of encouragement…they mean a lot to me!

Kein

Rocco
                                                    Participant

Hi Kevin,

Congrats on the 5 year NED status!  Thanks for your informative and encouraging posts over the years.  You helped me a great deal getting psyched up for my stay at Beth Israel for IL-2.   Seriously, 19 marathons?  Wow!  Have a great run and thanks for continuing to raise awareness for the cause!

-Rocco

Rocco
                                                      Participant

Hi Kevin,

Congrats on the 5 year NED status!  Thanks for your informative and encouraging posts over the years.  You helped me a great deal getting psyched up for my stay at Beth Israel for IL-2.   Seriously, 19 marathons?  Wow!  Have a great run and thanks for continuing to raise awareness for the cause!

-Rocco

Viewing 17 reply threads
                                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byΒ MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics