The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

3YEARS NEM!!!!!!

Forums General Melanoma Community 3YEARS NEM!!!!!!

Participant

If my scans in April are negative that is….NEM means no evidence of melanoma by the way, although I suppose NERD no evidence of recurrent disease (coined by Sharon in Reno) would be a more accurate description 

If my scans in April are negative that is….NEM means no evidence of melanoma by the way, although I suppose NERD no evidence of recurrent disease (coined by Sharon in Reno) would be a more accurate description 

I am a very lucky man-never thought I would say that.  Reading my profile you will see that my last surgery where melanoma was detected was March 11 2008.  I have had 2 brain surgeries since-last one in September, but they have both been necrotic material secondary to radiation in my noggin-which can cause a dirty mind(that's my excuse anyway-I have less and less dirty thoughts as this material is removed).  My life is slowly coming back to normal(well maybe a new normal).  Despite all of the bumps in the road, (6 rounds of (hospitalized) biochemotherapy,4 rounds of interleukin 2(hospitalized), 2 skin surgeries, 2 lung surgeries, and 6 brain surgeries epilepsy and loss of driving privileges for 1 year) my life is coming back to the way it used to be, I have learned to walk on the I beams of a sky scraper and not look down-even with loss of feeling/function in my left leg from during one of my brain surgeries-still would probably have a hard time passing a DWI test sober .  

Good things have happened along the way too,got engaged on New Years Eve in Nantucket, got married, bought a house, worked in a lot of interesting places every NYC borough except Staten Island-not of my own but beats sitting at home watching Springer and Maury, started my own business with my wife doing mobile veterinary housecall work-We are in negotiations with a company to purchase a custom built mobile practice unit-beats working out of the back of your car.   We have traveled most of the United States-a giant cross country trip on our honeymoon-now just a few remaining national parks to go see, but we have seen all of the big ones that I know of, and just this weekend, 3 years to the day after my last brain tumor removal, Merry underwent embryo transfer (keeping fingers crossed and saying prayers hoping that it works)-I honestly think the thought of  being a dad is scarier then having melanoma.

I am thankful to:

God

my wife and family

my doctors

all of the people on this board that I have met over the years.

I wish all of the people struggling with this disease the best,  Hang in there, do your best, and keep on living.

God Bless

John

Viewing 15 reply threads
    • Replies
        dian in spokane
        Participant

Congratulations John. It's wonderful news! 3 years, quite the feat with all you've been through!

I'm also very happy to hear about your's and mary's newest venture and will keep my fingers crossed that you will have a new little tax deduction by the end of the year!

Hope you are having a great, celebratory day!!

dian

dian in spokane
          Participant

Congratulations John. It's wonderful news! 3 years, quite the feat with all you've been through!

I'm also very happy to hear about your's and mary's newest venture and will keep my fingers crossed that you will have a new little tax deduction by the end of the year!

Hope you are having a great, celebratory day!!

dian

Jerry from Cape Cod
            Participant

John,

All 250 lb of me is happy dancing for you and Merry.

The mobile practice van sounds great.

Being a Dad is even better.  It's the most scary fun you will ever have.  My baby is just about to turn 25 and I cherish every minute, the oldest just turned 41… YIKES…..

Jerry

Jerry from Cape Cod
              Participant

John,

All 250 lb of me is happy dancing for you and Merry.

The mobile practice van sounds great.

Being a Dad is even better.  It's the most scary fun you will ever have.  My baby is just about to turn 25 and I cherish every minute, the oldest just turned 41… YIKES…..

Jerry

Bonnie Lea
                Participant

Now you see I have not read this….so its great  I won't have to sweat secrets hahah.  Not that you ever said anytthing was. I am so very happy and glad to read  NEM  rather than NED   sort of like  Monty Python  Knights of NIM? Oh Gee John I am so happy.

Jerry: hmmmmm I cannot see you dancing about.  you talk about your 250 pound self….. You could stop the stuffing of the birds, and do more brussel sprouts.

I expect soon you to say you are NEM or NED  too…. that is also an order.  How on earth can I continue here, about Lob-isters, and I will never understand a person living on the EAST COAST (that is so far away for me)  does not just go ape over lobbies.  but prefers  grass fed four footed hoofed or gobblers in the grasses.

So John…..will Merry be your assistant?  will you have a nother vet on board to do surgerys with you?  or what….What a grand idea. 

I still live in fear for when our two vets retire.  you will have to immigrate to Canada.  Be there loss our gain.

Love BOnnie

Bonnie Lea
                  Participant

Now you see I have not read this….so its great  I won't have to sweat secrets hahah.  Not that you ever said anytthing was. I am so very happy and glad to read  NEM  rather than NED   sort of like  Monty Python  Knights of NIM? Oh Gee John I am so happy.

Jerry: hmmmmm I cannot see you dancing about.  you talk about your 250 pound self….. You could stop the stuffing of the birds, and do more brussel sprouts.

I expect soon you to say you are NEM or NED  too…. that is also an order.  How on earth can I continue here, about Lob-isters, and I will never understand a person living on the EAST COAST (that is so far away for me)  does not just go ape over lobbies.  but prefers  grass fed four footed hoofed or gobblers in the grasses.

So John…..will Merry be your assistant?  will you have a nother vet on board to do surgerys with you?  or what….What a grand idea. 

I still live in fear for when our two vets retire.  you will have to immigrate to Canada.  Be there loss our gain.

Love BOnnie

Rebecca and Bob
                    Participant

John,

So happy for you. You are such an inspiration and you deserve all the happiness that lies ahead with your new adventure. Congratulatons and saying a prayer that everything works out for you and your wife.

Rebecca

Rebecca and Bob
                      Participant

John,

So happy for you. You are such an inspiration and you deserve all the happiness that lies ahead with your new adventure. Congratulatons and saying a prayer that everything works out for you and your wife.

Rebecca

glewis923
                        Participant

Dear John-

wow !  I'm just a rookie….Your trials, tribulations, and Triumphs! give us ALL hope and grace.  Hope you never have another recurance and that you never consider yourself "normal", as that would be totally boring.

Best Wishes from Grady Bunch.

glewis923
                          Participant

Dear John-

wow !  I'm just a rookie….Your trials, tribulations, and Triumphs! give us ALL hope and grace.  Hope you never have another recurance and that you never consider yourself "normal", as that would be totally boring.

Best Wishes from Grady Bunch.

lhaley
                            Participant

Hoping that the April scans have you continuing to be NEM!! 

Sounds like in these last few years you have continued living and enjoying life!  Also sending good wishes on Merry's embryo transfer. Being a parent brings excitement everyday! I'm a grandma now and that's even more fun!!

Linda

lhaley
                              Participant

Hoping that the April scans have you continuing to be NEM!! 

Sounds like in these last few years you have continued living and enjoying life!  Also sending good wishes on Merry's embryo transfer. Being a parent brings excitement everyday! I'm a grandma now and that's even more fun!!

Linda

James from Sydney
                                Participant

well done John what ever your doing keep doing it!  

Good luck mate.

Jmaes

James from Sydney
                                  Participant

well done John what ever your doing keep doing it!  

Good luck mate.

Jmaes

akls
                                    Participant

John,

Wow.  Congratulations.  Your words on this board are both inspiring and uplifting.  We can always count on you to bring out the lighthearted side of a situation.  I'm so happy for you.  I wish you many more years of NEM!!!

Amy S. in Michigan

Vermont_Donna
                                        Participant

Hi John,

I am so very happy for you with your good news about the clear scans and then so very happy for you regarding the rest of your very wonderful life!! Congrats on the marriage, and it sounds like you had a wonderful honeymoon, and you have a really great idea for the mobile vet clinic. I used to work, in the 70's, as an outreach worker for a mobile dental clinic serving poor Vermont children. I am wishing you great success with the embryo transfer…….wow!!! Everything is going great and will continue to go great!

Happy NEM!

Vermont_Donna, stage 3a

currently stable after 4 infusions of Ipi

Vermont_Donna
                                          Participant

Hi John,

I am so very happy for you with your good news about the clear scans and then so very happy for you regarding the rest of your very wonderful life!! Congrats on the marriage, and it sounds like you had a wonderful honeymoon, and you have a really great idea for the mobile vet clinic. I used to work, in the 70's, as an outreach worker for a mobile dental clinic serving poor Vermont children. I am wishing you great success with the embryo transfer…….wow!!! Everything is going great and will continue to go great!

Happy NEM!

Vermont_Donna, stage 3a

currently stable after 4 infusions of Ipi

akls
                                          Participant

John,

Wow.  Congratulations.  Your words on this board are both inspiring and uplifting.  We can always count on you to bring out the lighthearted side of a situation.  I'm so happy for you.  I wish you many more years of NEM!!!

Amy S. in Michigan

Viewing 15 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics