The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

3 Weeks on Braf trial for brain mets and not a responder

Forums General Melanoma Community 3 Weeks on Braf trial for brain mets and not a responder

Participant

My dad went to get scanned after only being on the braf trial for brain mets at Vanderbilt and all of his tumors grew- he has some in his lungs, brain, neck and pelvis.  I'm just so surprised that he didn't respond at all.  He was feeling so much better a week after he started.  How can that be?  

My dad went to get scanned after only being on the braf trial for brain mets at Vanderbilt and all of his tumors grew- he has some in his lungs, brain, neck and pelvis.  I'm just so surprised that he didn't respond at all.  He was feeling so much better a week after he started.  How can that be?  

So now they've admitted him to the hospital because his brain mets have grown substantially and caused him to have weakness on the left side of his body (this all happened within the last 2 days and thank God he had just arrived at Vandy because the doctors said he could've died at any minute with all the pressure from the tumors in his brain.  He is getting steroids now for the brain mets and they are deciding on gamma knife or wbr-starting tomorrow.  Obviously he's out of the trial.   Just sucks.  We were so excited when he finally got in it and it didn't even work.  

So after the brain is taken care of it's either ipi (if he has time to wait for it to work) or another trial.  Thankfully Vandy has several.  He failed interferon, IL-2 and now braf.  

I'm just really upset for him right now.

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Cate
        Participant

Im thinking of you and your dad.  Hang in there, I know how upsetting this is and hope he can find a treatment that works. He is lucky to have you looking out for him.   Cate

Cate
          Participant

Im thinking of you and your dad.  Hang in there, I know how upsetting this is and hope he can find a treatment that works. He is lucky to have you looking out for him.   Cate

deffk1105
            Participant

Try to stay positive, and hang in there.  He is VERY lucky to have a daughter like you who cares so much!

deffk1105
              Participant

Try to stay positive, and hang in there.  He is VERY lucky to have a daughter like you who cares so much!

amberhulin
                Participant

I was in a similar situation with my father. He didn't have any mets/tumors in his brain but that was the only part of his body that was clear. In fact today is exactly one year since his first surgery. He also failed interferon and IL-2, he had just started a clinical trail and recieved two treatments of ipi. Try to stay positive, Good Luck.

Amber

amberhulin
                  Participant

I was in a similar situation with my father. He didn't have any mets/tumors in his brain but that was the only part of his body that was clear. In fact today is exactly one year since his first surgery. He also failed interferon and IL-2, he had just started a clinical trail and recieved two treatments of ipi. Try to stay positive, Good Luck.

Amber

Viewing 5 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics