The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

2nd opinion – NOT what I expected! Ipi vs radiation

Forums General Melanoma Community 2nd opinion – NOT what I expected! Ipi vs radiation

Participant

Just went to Philly for a second opinion on radiation to my head/neck.

Philly appointment was Tuesday. Last Friday, I was seen by my radiation oncologist, we were pretty much full steam ahead for starting radiation on May 23 (assuming second opinions at U of Penn and Johns Hopkins concurred).

Between last Friday and Tuesday, popped yet ANOTHER node in my neck, right behind the still healing incision site from April 11 surgery!

So, the oncologist at U of Penn said to do the following:

Just went to Philly for a second opinion on radiation to my head/neck.

Philly appointment was Tuesday. Last Friday, I was seen by my radiation oncologist, we were pretty much full steam ahead for starting radiation on May 23 (assuming second opinions at U of Penn and Johns Hopkins concurred).

Between last Friday and Tuesday, popped yet ANOTHER node in my neck, right behind the still healing incision site from April 11 surgery!

So, the oncologist at U of Penn said to do the following:

Don't do radiation, don't do surgery. Begin Ipi/Yervoy, for 4 rounds spaced 3 weeks apart.

Anyone else had this happen?! I do actually work 40 hours a week, in between umpteen zillion doctor appointments. The worst part is I've only been followed to this point by a surgical oncologist. He just handed me off to the radiation oncologist. I am establishing care with a medical oncologist (partner with the radiation oncologist) on Monday!

Gee, it's just never dull for a moment!

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        MaryBeth and Jeff
        Participant

No this did not happen in my husband's case. He underwent Gamma Knife (is undergoing 2nd Gamma Knife today) and is on round 2 of 4 of IPI (Yervoy). His surgical oncolologist passed him off onto a radiation oncologist but he also has a systemic oncologist for the IPI treatments. The reason for the radiation the docs said was because the systemic treatments typically do not pass the blood brain barrier. But after reading on this site, I am seeing others with brain mets doing the IPI only. I am all confused now.

MaryBeth and Jeff
          Participant

No this did not happen in my husband's case. He underwent Gamma Knife (is undergoing 2nd Gamma Knife today) and is on round 2 of 4 of IPI (Yervoy). His surgical oncolologist passed him off onto a radiation oncologist but he also has a systemic oncologist for the IPI treatments. The reason for the radiation the docs said was because the systemic treatments typically do not pass the blood brain barrier. But after reading on this site, I am seeing others with brain mets doing the IPI only. I am all confused now.

Viewing 1 reply thread
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics