The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

2nd ipi treatment & scan results

Forums General Melanoma Community 2nd ipi treatment & scan results

Participant

This has been a pretty sad week on the board. Losing both Wil and Kurt. It’s difficult even putting my thoughts together but I thought I should report on yesterday's treatment.

I had a cat scan prior to starting the trial and a pet scan 2 weeks (which was scheduled) after my first ipi treatment. Dr. G. gave me the results yesterday, prior to 2ndipi treatment.  She found the pet scan much more thorough than the cat scan and will be suggesting to the trial director that I have a pet scan rather than cat if it meets the protocol standards.

This has been a pretty sad week on the board. Losing both Wil and Kurt. It’s difficult even putting my thoughts together but I thought I should report on yesterday's treatment.

I had a cat scan prior to starting the trial and a pet scan 2 weeks (which was scheduled) after my first ipi treatment. Dr. G. gave me the results yesterday, prior to 2ndipi treatment.  She found the pet scan much more thorough than the cat scan and will be suggesting to the trial director that I have a pet scan rather than cat if it meets the protocol standards.

The main difference was that the pet noted a 5 mm focal abnormality in the posterolateral aspect of the left pulmonary lower lobe.  It’s very small but they will definitely be keeping an eye on it.

There was much more activity in my lymph nodes in the leg than in May’s scans. As well, lymphedema in the right leg, appears more severe than on the prior study. Not a surprise, since my tumors went from about 20 to more than a 100 between scans.

So what’s the good news. Dr. G. noted that some (as in quite a few) tumors seem to be drying out, she has seen that before when a patient has responded to ‘temodar’ .  Both my husband and I find that my leg appears not to be so angry.  Is ‘ipi’ working?  Let’s see what happens in the next few weeks!

Side effects of 2nd treatment..nothing to date.  Val

Viewing 7 reply threads
    • Replies
        Sharyn
        Participant

Hi Val!

So far, so good, so it seems. I haven't had any side effects either. I fly up again early in the morning on the 13th, and come home late on the 14th. My sister is coming with me. I'll call you when I get there. Don't know which hotel I'm staying at, but I'd say either Opus or QEII Fairmont.  I had a CT scan before starting, but I didn't have a PET scan for week 2, and as far as I know, all I'm getting is bloodwork and Ipi next week. Strange that your schedule is different from mine. Go figure!

Hugs

Sharyn

ValinMtl
            Participant

Hi Sharyn

Glad to hear no side effects for you.  Pet scan was already on order by Dr. G. before trial so clinical nurse advised I could still go through with it..not part of trial.  CT scan and blood works was for the trial but wasn't ready for reading at 1st ipi treatment.  My 2nd ipi was 3 weeks from first and happened that both PET and CT were ready at same time. 

On the 13th, I will be up north with a friend from Boston…BUT coming back for bridge lessons (yep, I decided I planned to be around for a bit longer and signed up) on Thursday morning in Montreal…I will be free all afternoon on Thursday..I'll send you my cell #..maybe we can plan something late afternoon. I'll e-mail you. 

Not crazy about the activity report on my leg but if tumors are drying up…maybe just maybe…Val xx

ValinMtl
              Participant

oops I should have said "CT scan wasn't ready for reading at 1st ipi treatment but blood works were, of course."

ValinMtl
                Participant

oops I should have said "CT scan wasn't ready for reading at 1st ipi treatment but blood works were, of course."

ValinMtl
                  Participant

Hi Sharyn

Glad to hear no side effects for you.  Pet scan was already on order by Dr. G. before trial so clinical nurse advised I could still go through with it..not part of trial.  CT scan and blood works was for the trial but wasn't ready for reading at 1st ipi treatment.  My 2nd ipi was 3 weeks from first and happened that both PET and CT were ready at same time. 

On the 13th, I will be up north with a friend from Boston…BUT coming back for bridge lessons (yep, I decided I planned to be around for a bit longer and signed up) on Thursday morning in Montreal…I will be free all afternoon on Thursday..I'll send you my cell #..maybe we can plan something late afternoon. I'll e-mail you. 

Not crazy about the activity report on my leg but if tumors are drying up…maybe just maybe…Val xx

Sharyn
                  Participant

Hi Val!

So far, so good, so it seems. I haven't had any side effects either. I fly up again early in the morning on the 13th, and come home late on the 14th. My sister is coming with me. I'll call you when I get there. Don't know which hotel I'm staying at, but I'd say either Opus or QEII Fairmont.  I had a CT scan before starting, but I didn't have a PET scan for week 2, and as far as I know, all I'm getting is bloodwork and Ipi next week. Strange that your schedule is different from mine. Go figure!

Hugs

Sharyn

Vermont_Donna
                    Participant

Hi Val,

Glad you got your second dose and I am hoping it IS working! here in the States when I get my PET scan I get a simultaneauos (sp?) CT scan…is it not like that in Canada?? Here they use both to contrast and compare and also against the previous scans…..just a thought…ask for both??

Hugs,

Vermont_Donna

ps what is it with the right leg?? that is where my melanoma is and lymphadema!

Vermont_Donna
                      Participant

Hi Val,

Glad you got your second dose and I am hoping it IS working! here in the States when I get my PET scan I get a simultaneauos (sp?) CT scan…is it not like that in Canada?? Here they use both to contrast and compare and also against the previous scans…..just a thought…ask for both??

Hugs,

Vermont_Donna

ps what is it with the right leg?? that is where my melanoma is and lymphadema!

JuleFL
                        Participant

Wishing you response and healing.

Jule

JuleFL
                          Participant

Wishing you response and healing.

Jule

LynnLuc
                            Participant

I had a bb size spot on my lung they watched for 10 months..when they did go in to remove the melanoma from my mediasteinem which was 6.8 centimeters) they also did a wedge resection and removed the spot…it was a small lymph node…benign! wishing you the best!

LynnLuc
                              Participant

I had a bb size spot on my lung they watched for 10 months..when they did go in to remove the melanoma from my mediasteinem which was 6.8 centimeters) they also did a wedge resection and removed the spot…it was a small lymph node…benign! wishing you the best!

Viewing 7 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics