The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

24 years ago – stage 1

Forums General Melanoma Community 24 years ago – stage 1

Participant

I was originally diagnosed today 24 years ago as stage 1a.  That lesion would be considered stage 1b in today's staging criteria.  I also had 2 other primaries, an in situ in 2000 and another stage 1b lesion in 2001.  I'm still here.  Still stage 1b.

I post this only to show that there are stage 1 people (and 0 and 2) that don't progress.  This board is very lopsided towards those who have had a recurrence and it is easy to lose perspective.  Not all early stagers progress, in fact most don't. 

Viewing 35 reply threads
    • Replies
        Bubbles
        Participant

Incredibly important news and perspective for many, Janner.  Thanks for posting and for all you do to serve so many!  I don't have the strength you do.  On bended knee in admiration!  Thanks. c

Bubbles
          Participant

Incredibly important news and perspective for many, Janner.  Thanks for posting and for all you do to serve so many!  I don't have the strength you do.  On bended knee in admiration!  Thanks. c

Bubbles
            Participant

CHD
              Participant

Janner,

Since the day I first arrived on this forum, I have appreciated your posts with your knowledge and insight.  You have taught me so much.  Your perspective is always helpful, and I try to share it with others too, including the insight that people who do not progress are not often on internet forums posting.  It is wonderful to hear that you are 24 years out, and thank you for all you share and for all you do!  Truly you are one of the most informative people posting about melanoma on the internet today.

Cheri

CHD
                Participant

Janner,

Since the day I first arrived on this forum, I have appreciated your posts with your knowledge and insight.  You have taught me so much.  Your perspective is always helpful, and I try to share it with others too, including the insight that people who do not progress are not often on internet forums posting.  It is wonderful to hear that you are 24 years out, and thank you for all you share and for all you do!  Truly you are one of the most informative people posting about melanoma on the internet today.

Cheri

CHD
                  Participant

Janner,

Cheri

WithinMySkin
                    Participant
                      Amazing, Janner! I’m grateful every day for your perspective and support for others on this board. You are a breath of fresh air when this disease becomes stifling. Thank you!!
                        JC
                        Participant

ditto

JC
                          Participant

ditto

JC
                            Participant

ditto

WithinMySkin
                            Participant
                              Amazing, Janner! I’m grateful every day for your perspective and support for others on this board. You are a breath of fresh air when this disease becomes stifling. Thank you!!
                              WithinMySkin
                              Participant
                                Swanee
                                Participant

I'm not sure how long you have been posting on this website Janner, but you were here when I first arrived 6 years ago!  You have been a sound, accurate, soothing  voice to so many here and I have so appreciated your wisdom and advice that has guided me, in my own journey by just reading your advice to others. I know the loss you suffered losing your Dad to melanoma makes your diagnosis seem more than 1b, but I and so many others are glad you have remained stable there!  I know you branched out to focus more time with those with early diagnosis of 1,2 stages, so  I'm grateful you continue to hang here and take the time to answer so many questions and calm the nerves of so many first timers!   I know how time consuming it can be and I appreciate your gift to this site.  Wishing you continued 1b status, thanks for the support and positive posts of hope and survival!

Swanee 

Swanee
                                  Participant

I'm not sure how long you have been posting on this website Janner, but you were here when I first arrived 6 years ago!  You have been a sound, accurate, soothing  voice to so many here and I have so appreciated your wisdom and advice that has guided me, in my own journey by just reading your advice to others. I know the loss you suffered losing your Dad to melanoma makes your diagnosis seem more than 1b, but I and so many others are glad you have remained stable there!  I know you branched out to focus more time with those with early diagnosis of 1,2 stages, so  I'm grateful you continue to hang here and take the time to answer so many questions and calm the nerves of so many first timers!   I know how time consuming it can be and I appreciate your gift to this site.  Wishing you continued 1b status, thanks for the support and positive posts of hope and survival!

Swanee 

Swanee
                                    Participant

Swanee 

DZnDef
                                      Participant

Congratulations Janner!  I'm so glad you continue to be stage 1 and am so lucky to have read your wonderful advice since I joined a couple of years ago.  You've talked many a newbie off the ledge so to speak with clear perspective and thoughtful advice.

Cheers,

Maggie

DZnDef
                                        Participant

Congratulations Janner!  I'm so glad you continue to be stage 1 and am so lucky to have read your wonderful advice since I joined a couple of years ago.  You've talked many a newbie off the ledge so to speak with clear perspective and thoughtful advice.

Cheers,

Maggie

DZnDef
                                          Participant

Cheers,

Maggie

BrianP
                                            Participant

Thanks for sharing Janner.  Appreciate everything you do for this board.  I remember a while back you saying that even though you aren't stage III or IV you read most of the III and IV post.  I may be a stage IVer but anytime I seen that you've replied to a thread I always check it out to see what great advice you are giving.

Brian

BrianP
                                              Participant

Thanks for sharing Janner.  Appreciate everything you do for this board.  I remember a while back you saying that even though you aren't stage III or IV you read most of the III and IV post.  I may be a stage IVer but anytime I seen that you've replied to a thread I always check it out to see what great advice you are giving.

Brian

BrianP
                                                Participant

Brian

ldub
                                                  Participant

I am one of those "talked off the ledge" and though my situation pales in comparison to the fight many are facing, Janner's advice to be reasonable, worry when need be and "live your life" applies equally to everyone.    Janner is a jewel valuable to all.

ldub
                                                    Participant

I am one of those "talked off the ledge" and though my situation pales in comparison to the fight many are facing, Janner's advice to be reasonable, worry when need be and "live your life" applies equally to everyone.    Janner is a jewel valuable to all.

ldub
                                                      Participant

stars
                                                        Participant

Just another voice chiming in to say thank you to Janner for her solid, balanced, intelligent and valuable voice on this board.

Stars

stars
                                                          Participant

Just another voice chiming in to say thank you to Janner for her solid, balanced, intelligent and valuable voice on this board.

Stars

stars
                                                            Participant

Stars

Janner
                                                              Participant

Thanks everyone!

Celeste, you are the amazing one.  You have more energy than I do to blog and research melanoma.  I was there once, not anymore. 

Cheri, thanks for your support!

Lauren, thanks!

Swanee, I have been on MPIP for almost 15 years.  <sigh>  I keep wanting to leave but just can't quite break away.  And thank you for remembering my Dad.  He actually passed away two years ago on the anniversary of my diagnosis.

Thanks Maggie!

Brian, appreciate that you read my boring posts, lol!

ldub – glad you are living life!!!

stars – haven't seen you post much lately – hope your doing well!

Janner
                                                                Participant

Thanks everyone!

Celeste, you are the amazing one.  You have more energy than I do to blog and research melanoma.  I was there once, not anymore. 

Lauren, thanks!

Swanee, I have been on MPIP for almost 15 years.  <sigh>  I keep wanting to leave but just can't quite break away.  And thank you for remembering my Dad.  He actually passed away two years ago on the anniversary of my diagnosis.

Thanks Maggie!

Janner
                                                                  Participant

Thanks everyone!

Lauren, thanks!

Thanks Maggie!

Bobman
                                                                    Participant

Janner…it sure didn't  take me long to gravitate  to your posts after finding  this site. So many times I frantically  typed my situation , and waited with sweaty palms for a response , literally  checking every few minutes  for a reply . Then like a beacon  of calm light you would  always  be there with your incredible  measured,and straightforward  comments , personally  tailored  for what I was going through  at that moment .  And I see you do that with everyone . ..a true gift to us all.

Thanks for keeping  my sweat down to a manageable  level! I appreciate  that you think about  leaving  this site, but you know we would have to track you down …check out any time you like,but you can never leave.

Aloha , 

Bob…….9 primaries  still stage 1

Bobman
                                                                      Participant

Janner…it sure didn't  take me long to gravitate  to your posts after finding  this site. So many times I frantically  typed my situation , and waited with sweaty palms for a response , literally  checking every few minutes  for a reply . Then like a beacon  of calm light you would  always  be there with your incredible  measured,and straightforward  comments , personally  tailored  for what I was going through  at that moment .  And I see you do that with everyone . ..a true gift to us all.

Thanks for keeping  my sweat down to a manageable  level! I appreciate  that you think about  leaving  this site, but you know we would have to track you down …check out any time you like,but you can never leave.

Aloha , 

Bobman
                                                                        Participant

Aloha , 

Teej
                                                                          Participant

Janner- 

Thank you for being on this site and offering your insight and knowledge to those on this forum.

Teej
                                                                            Participant

Janner- 

Thank you for being on this site and offering your insight and knowledge to those on this forum.

Teej
                                                                              Participant

Janner- 

lakegirl67
                                                                                Participant

Janner, once again, thank you for being the calming voice of reason. I have only been on here a few (long) weeks, but you have already helped me immensely and I find myseld re-reading your posts when I need talked down "off the ledge". 

lakegirl67
                                                                                  Participant

Janner, once again, thank you for being the calming voice of reason. I have only been on here a few (long) weeks, but you have already helped me immensely and I find myseld re-reading your posts when I need talked down "off the ledge". 

lakegirl67
                                                                                    Participant

Viewing 35 reply threads
                                                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics