The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

23 years early stage and the irony.

Forums General Melanoma Community 23 years early stage and the irony.

Participant

I was diagnosed stage 1a (translates to stage 1b with today's staging) 23 years ago.  I've had two other primaries but am still stage 1b. I just realized that my adoptive father passed away 1 year ago on my anniversary from melanoma.  The anniversary was forgotten last year but I realized the connection tonight when someone emailed me about my responses here and I put into words my long history.  I miss my Dad but he was 89 and had lived a full long life.  The irony that he would get melanoma and pass away from it after my long history never failed to amaze me.  

Anyway, there are lots of early stagers who go on with life and stay early stage!  Never assume the worst!

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Aiden
        Participant

Hi Janner, I am sorry about your father, but I think too, he had full long life. 

May I ask how old were you when first dignosed?

thank you, Aiden

Janner
            Participant

29.  I won't say how old I am now but you can do the math.  ๐Ÿ™‚

Janner
              Participant

Janner
                Participant

Aiden
                Participant

Hi Janner, I am sorry about your father, but I think too, he had full long life. 

thank you, Aiden

Aiden
                  Participant

thank you, Aiden

Bubbles
                    Participant

Hey Janner,

Ironic and bittersweet moments are beyond our understanding at times, aren't they?  I know you miss your dad.  Congrats on 23 years of living well despite worries that you might have let take the lead.  Thanks too for the continued support, information and encouragement you have supplied to so many others.  Yours, celeste

ldub
                        Participant

Janner, my history with melanoma has been brief, but you have been so patient, kind and informative in your postings and responses to early stagers like me.  Thank you and congratulations on your 23 years!

ldub
                          Participant

Janner, my history with melanoma has been brief, but you have been so patient, kind and informative in your postings and responses to early stagers like me.  Thank you and congratulations on your 23 years!

ldub
                            Participant

Bubbles
                            Participant

Hey Janner,

Ironic and bittersweet moments are beyond our understanding at times, aren't they?  I know you miss your dad.  Congrats on 23 years of living well despite worries that you might have let take the lead.  Thanks too for the continued support, information and encouragement you have supplied to so many others.  Yours, celeste

Bubbles
                              Participant

Hey Janner,

Viewing 5 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics