The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

2 Years NED

Forums General Melanoma Community 2 Years NED

Participant

Hi all,

Just passing along some positive news.  We got my husband's scan results at MD Anderson yesterday and still No Evidence of Disease.  We have done the wait and watch since his surgery 2 years ago.  He was initially thought to be Stage 4 nodular metastatic melanoma (scary words to hear) since his Breslow depth was 19 mm (I'm not missing a decimal point ๐Ÿ™‚ ) and there was no overlying epidermal component.  He does have the NRAS mutation.  I still remember getting his initial pathology back and seeing that everything he had (breslow depth, Clark level, mitotic rate, etc) was at the highest end of the spectrum and I would research and he had every indicator of immediate negative outcomes.  Our doctor here knows us as the couple who argues (we argue all the time at the doctors since I'm a researcher and my husband sees no point in researching, he is a "it is what it is" kind of guy).   It's hard to believe we are two years out.  As I was waiting on the 9th floor where the Melanoma wing is located, I always look around and think that maybe one of the MPIP bulletin board members is waiting too.  It's sobering to see all the people in the waiting room and hoping they are responding to treatment.  And of course, my thoughts drifted to Artie sitting in the same spot just several months before and it hurts the heart.   I just wish good stuff for everyone.  I'm going to lay off the research for a little bit, since our doctor told us that any adjuvant treatment and vaccine trials are not an option (too far out from original surgery and they would not risk the side effects at this point with NED) so we are in wait and watch path for the foreseable future.  We have a 7 yr old and now we have been approved for adoption so hopefully more good stuff to follow.  

Cheers,

Jackie

Viewing 17 reply threads
    • Replies
        BrianP
        Participant

Congrats Jackie.  Thanks for posting. 

Hope you never have to jump back into the research mode. 

Congrats on the adoption approval also.  Here's to a great and promising 2016!

Brian

BrianP
          Participant

Brian

BrianP
            Participant

Brian

jenny22
              Participant

Jackie- Congratulations to you and your husband on such great news! 

May it last forever….and additioanal congrats on your upcoming adoption!

All the best!

jenny

jenny22
                Participant

All the best!

jenny

jenny22
                  Participant

All the best!

jenny

jamieth29
                    Participant
                      Congrats!
                      jamieth29
                      Participant
                        Congrats!
                        jamieth29
                        Participant
                          Congrats!
                          AshleyS
                          Participant

Congrats. I hope you keep posting, year after year. I do the same thing when I'm on the 9th floor….

Ashley 

AshleyS
                            Participant

Congrats. I hope you keep posting, year after year. I do the same thing when I'm on the 9th floor….

Ashley 

AshleyS
                              Participant

Ashley 

mkirkland
                                Participant

Fantastic news!!! I am also a patient at MDA and do the exact same thing. I was there on Monday. ๐Ÿ™‚ Hoping for many, many (like forever many) years of NED!

Misty

mkirkland
                                  Participant

Fantastic news!!! I am also a patient at MDA and do the exact same thing. I was there on Monday. ๐Ÿ™‚ Hoping for many, many (like forever many) years of NED!

Misty

mkirkland
                                    Participant

Misty

democat
                                      Participant

This sounds like my story, only I'm waiting to see whether I'm 3 years NED. All my numbers (Breslow, mitotic rate, Clark level) were off the charts I did a crazy amount of research as well. I ended up going with the watch and wait approach. I wish you all the best and hope your husband remains NED! I figure that my high mitotic rate means it would probably have recurred sooner rather than later – at least that's what I tell myself. So, two years is really a milestone!!

democat
                                        Participant

This sounds like my story, only I'm waiting to see whether I'm 3 years NED. All my numbers (Breslow, mitotic rate, Clark level) were off the charts I did a crazy amount of research as well. I ended up going with the watch and wait approach. I wish you all the best and hope your husband remains NED! I figure that my high mitotic rate means it would probably have recurred sooner rather than later – at least that's what I tell myself. So, two years is really a milestone!!

democat
                                          Participant

Viewing 17 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics