The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

2 Cancers at once

Forums General Melanoma Community 2 Cancers at once

Participant

So I finished Ipi and they did a scan with shows some growth in my tumor but I don't have any new tumors so both good and not so good news. I have something on my left ovary and now they are worried I might have ovarian cancer along with stage 4 melanoma. Can't see to catch a break. Anyone out there with a similiar problem? 
      Thanks

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        DZnDef
        Participant

I tend to almost always have something on one ovary or the other.  Chocolate cysts.  In my case the cyst that forms as part of releasing the mature egg doesn't pop and just continues to grow.  Until it evenually does pop (very painfully) or gets reabsorbed.  Not life-threatening, just a pain.  They started at age 27 and I still get them at age 48.  So far, no cancer there that we know of.  Just tough ovaries that don't want to pop when they should.  I hope you don't have a cyst because they are annoying, but if the alternative is cancer, then let's hope for a cyst.  They show up on my CT scans as a mass on an ovary, the next CT scan it will be resolved but there'll be a mass on the other ovary and so on.  Many people do get ovarian cysts as a one-off. I hope that's you!

Cheers – Maggie

DZnDef
          Participant

I tend to almost always have something on one ovary or the other.  Chocolate cysts.  In my case the cyst that forms as part of releasing the mature egg doesn't pop and just continues to grow.  Until it evenually does pop (very painfully) or gets reabsorbed.  Not life-threatening, just a pain.  They started at age 27 and I still get them at age 48.  So far, no cancer there that we know of.  Just tough ovaries that don't want to pop when they should.  I hope you don't have a cyst because they are annoying, but if the alternative is cancer, then let's hope for a cyst.  They show up on my CT scans as a mass on an ovary, the next CT scan it will be resolved but there'll be a mass on the other ovary and so on.  Many people do get ovarian cysts as a one-off. I hope that's you!

Cheers – Maggie

DZnDef
            Participant

Cheers – Maggie

Linny
              Participant

Maggie's right, chocolate cysts will show up as a mass on a scan. I had the same issue years before I got melanoma when a "pelvic mass" was discovered during a routine exam. If I recall the stats correctly, there was a 75% chance that this mass was benign. I had surgery to remove it and it turned out that the culprit was a chocolate cyst. I had a few of them plus a rather prolific case of endometriosis.

Though melanoma can't be ruled out 100% for you, the finding can defiinitely represent something else.

Linny
                Participant

Maggie's right, chocolate cysts will show up as a mass on a scan. I had the same issue years before I got melanoma when a "pelvic mass" was discovered during a routine exam. If I recall the stats correctly, there was a 75% chance that this mass was benign. I had surgery to remove it and it turned out that the culprit was a chocolate cyst. I had a few of them plus a rather prolific case of endometriosis.

Though melanoma can't be ruled out 100% for you, the finding can defiinitely represent something else.

Linny
                  Participant

evleye
                    Participant

My metastasis was thought to be a chocolate cyst and once it was removed theyfound it was melanoma.  I then had scans that found melanoma in breast, behind uterus and thyroid cancer.  So yes, you can have two types of cancer at once–and you are excluded from trials if you have a competing cancer–sucks!!

evleye
                      Participant

My metastasis was thought to be a chocolate cyst and once it was removed theyfound it was melanoma.  I then had scans that found melanoma in breast, behind uterus and thyroid cancer.  So yes, you can have two types of cancer at once–and you are excluded from trials if you have a competing cancer–sucks!!

evleye
                        Participant

Linny
                          Participant

You never mentioned what type of scan you had done. If you had a PET scan, they sometimes give false positives. Hopefully your doc will follow up with either a CT scan or ultrasound to figure out what's going on.

I know this is hard, but try to hang in there. Am keeping my fingers crossed for you that it's just a regular old garden-variety ovarian cyst, chocolate or otherwise.

Linny
                            Participant

You never mentioned what type of scan you had done. If you had a PET scan, they sometimes give false positives. Hopefully your doc will follow up with either a CT scan or ultrasound to figure out what's going on.

I know this is hard, but try to hang in there. Am keeping my fingers crossed for you that it's just a regular old garden-variety ovarian cyst, chocolate or otherwise.

Linny
                              Participant

Viewing 11 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics