The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

1st Liver Met, after two local recurrences.

Forums General Melanoma Community 1st Liver Met, after two local recurrences.

Participant

On Tuesday I had my regular CT scans and a followup with my surgeon.  The radiologist hadn't completed their report yet, but upon reviewing them himself my surgeon said I probably have a small met in my liver.  The radiologist report was put online friday and they said they also thought I had a new liver met.  If it is, this will be my first distant Met after I've already had two local recurrances.  I'll have a needle biopsy sometime this upcoming week to confirm it.  My mel did not have the Braf mutation.

I've completed one year of Nivo, so I suspect the next line of defense is Nivo+Ipi.  Is there a more recent treatment I should ask about?

Viewing 0 reply threads
    • Replies
        Bubbles
        Participant

Sorry your are dealing with this, Billy!!  I know this is no fun to contemplate in any way!!!  Still, I am going to hold onto hope that this is not mel and some sort of benign cyst.  Something that can certainly happen fairly frequently to livers.  However, it sounds like you are planning all the right things.  First, a biopsy to see what you are really dealing with and then treatment as needed.  

I may have shared it with you before but here is a primer of basic treatment for melanoma that covers a lot of options:  https://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2017/08/melanoma-intel-primer-for-current.html  

Additionally, to the repeating of nivo and adding ipi….Weber in a video linked to the discussion of "when to stop immunos" below….notes that folks who do progress after immunotherapy, often do really well when they repeat it and you would not only be repeating nivo, but adding another component in the ipi.  Here is my report on that same video, which though the topic is when to stop treatment, does address your issue of needing to (?) repeat treatment:  

https://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2017/08/melanoma-intel-primer-for-current.html  

And a final thought…if I were in your shoes….and this turns out to really be melanoma…I would be asking about adding radiation to the immunotherapy.  TONS of studies illustrate the added benefit when the two are combined.  When combined (in the brain and body) radiation and immunotherapy provide results that are greater than either alone.  Here are about a zillion posts:

https://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2018/11/srs-and-immunotherapy-in-melanoma-brain.html  

Hang in there.  Keep us posted.  Fingers crossed that the biopsy is benign.  Yours, celeste

guynamedbilly
            Participant

Thank you! I don't know if I'd have even thought about asking about radiation on my liver, but it looks like it can be done.  Hopefully I'll be posting that it was benign after all next week. 🙂

Viewing 0 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics