The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

18 months NED!

Forums General Melanoma Community 18 months NED!

Participant

Hi everyone,

Hi everyone,

I havent posted in a while…have been busy working and enjoying life. I am now 18 months NED!! In July 2012 I had my quarterly oncology checkup, PET/CT scan, and today had a followup ultrasound of a specific "hot" spot on my leg that didnt show anything to biopsy. So this is the longest I have been NED since i was diagnosed with stage 3a melanoma cancer in Septermber 2006. For those who arent familiar with my history, you can peruse my profile but I have had many treatments to my leg (where the melanoma has been) including interferon, leukine, radiation twice, isolated limb perfusion and ipilimumab (Yervoy). Yervoy was my last treatment that I did, and I had four doses, 3mg/kg. I had relatively few side effects. I have moderate lymphadema and neuropathy in my right leg and wear a compression stocking and do maunual lymph drainage daily.

I just wanted to share my good news and wish everyone well and the success (NED) that I have finally achieved. Jimmy B says if I stay NED three years then maybe I can say "cured"?? Jimmy…I am halfway there!!!!!!

Hugs to all,

Vermont_Donna, stage 3a

Viewing 20 reply threads
    • Replies
        aldakota22
        Participant

Always love the positive posts.See more and more over time spent here.Will pray that you surpass  the 18 months to be NED by many many years.Beat the Beast.  Al

aldakota22
          Participant

Always love the positive posts.See more and more over time spent here.Will pray that you surpass  the 18 months to be NED by many many years.Beat the Beast.  Al

aldakota22
            Participant

Rocco
              Participant

Hi Donna,

Great to see you post and to read that you're on the go with work and all.

Congrats on hitting 18 months NED – great feeling isn't it!?!

Keep smiling and doing the happy dance!

-Rocco (in NH)

Rocco
                Participant

Hi Donna,

-Rocco (in NH)

Rocco
                  Participant

Hi Donna,

-Rocco (in NH)

LynnLuc
                    Participant

Its awesome news!! I have been NED 2 years 4 months…my onc says he would probably say at the end of my trial if I am still NED it would likewise say I am "cured" however he also said the microcells will still be floating around, but my own immune system would be keeping them in check…so I guess that means I need to stay off steroids and live a healthy lifestyle to keep it up and running.

LynnLuc
                      Participant

Its awesome news!! I have been NED 2 years 4 months…my onc says he would probably say at the end of my trial if I am still NED it would likewise say I am "cured" however he also said the microcells will still be floating around, but my own immune system would be keeping them in check…so I guess that means I need to stay off steroids and live a healthy lifestyle to keep it up and running.

LynnLuc
                        Participant

gabsound
                          Participant
                            Hi Donna ,

You have been my inspiration since I started on this board! I’m so happy you continue to have success with Yervoy.

Congrats,

Julie in Las Vegas

gabsound
                            Participant
                              Hi Donna ,

You have been my inspiration since I started on this board! I’m so happy you continue to have success with Yervoy.

Congrats,

Julie in Las Vegas

NYKaren
                                Participant

Donna, I'm so happy for you.

You've been an inspiration to me as well!

Wishing you NED forever,

karen

NYKaren
                                  Participant

Wishing you NED forever,

karen

NYKaren
                                    Participant

Wishing you NED forever,

karen

gabsound
                                    Participant
                                      Hi Donna ,

Congrats,

Julie in Las Vegas

triciad
                                      Participant

Donna –

You have made my night with your fantastic news.  I can't believe all that you have been through and to hear the word "cured" is absolutely magnificent!  I will be counting the days for that post to come!!!

I read that you did Leukine.  What was your experience with it?  Would you recommend it?  I just came from the doctor and after this recurrence she is suggesting I do Leukine.  What do you think?

Congratulations again on your wonderful news!!!!

Tricia

triciad
                                        Participant

Donna –

You have made my night with your fantastic news.  I can't believe all that you have been through and to hear the word "cured" is absolutely magnificent!  I will be counting the days for that post to come!!!

I read that you did Leukine.  What was your experience with it?  Would you recommend it?  I just came from the doctor and after this recurrence she is suggesting I do Leukine.  What do you think?

Tricia

triciad
                                          Participant

Donna –

Tricia

Vermont_Donna
                                              Participant

HI,

I did not have a very hard time with the Leukine…just big itchy welts or hives at the injection site (my stomach area) and I iced the area first, and I think took benedryl and something else…tylenol? Its a small needle and you have to mix the leukine with sterile water and draw it up. Not hard to learn and do. I worked the whole time. Gave myself injections three times a week? its been so long now I forget all the details….you can look at my profile. I had a reoccurence after 7 months. I look at it as it "bought me more time" and then I did the next treatment. All my treatments I dont consider as "failed"…they bought me time until I did the Yervoy and that has bought me 18 months of NED!

Please feel free to email me anytime!

Hugs,

Donna

Vermont_Donna
                                                Participant

HI,

I did not have a very hard time with the Leukine…just big itchy welts or hives at the injection site (my stomach area) and I iced the area first, and I think took benedryl and something else…tylenol? Its a small needle and you have to mix the leukine with sterile water and draw it up. Not hard to learn and do. I worked the whole time. Gave myself injections three times a week? its been so long now I forget all the details….you can look at my profile. I had a reoccurence after 7 months. I look at it as it "bought me more time" and then I did the next treatment. All my treatments I dont consider as "failed"…they bought me time until I did the Yervoy and that has bought me 18 months of NED!

Hugs,

Donna

triciad
                                                  Participant

Donna,

Thanks so much for the information.  My new oncologist wants me to do the Leukine, my old one says it's like snakeskin  oil.  I trust them both, so it is a hard decision.  I did a full year of interferon, so  injections three times a week will seem familiar.  Thanks again for your help, and congratulations on your NED status…forever!

Tricia

triciad
                                                    Participant

Donna,

Thanks so much for the information.  My new oncologist wants me to do the Leukine, my old one says it's like snakeskin  oil.  I trust them both, so it is a hard decision.  I did a full year of interferon, so  injections three times a week will seem familiar.  Thanks again for your help, and congratulations on your NED status…forever!

Tricia

triciad
                                                      Participant

Donna,

Tricia

Vermont_Donna
                                                        Participant

HI,

Hugs,

Donna

King
                                                        Participant

Donna, 

Congratulations!  This is great news!  I'm sure your message has given hope to others.

Stay Strong

King

Stage IV  7/05  Liver mets

King
                                                          Participant

Donna, 

Congratulations!  This is great news!  I'm sure your message has given hope to others.

Stay Strong

King

King
                                                            Participant

Donna, 

Stay Strong

King

KevinM
                                                              Participant

Awesome news Donna!!!

congrats and make sure to celebrate big time!!
                                                                Kevin

KevinM
                                                                Participant

Awesome news Donna!!!

Kevin

KevinM
                                                                  Participant

Awesome news Donna!!!

Kevin

Viewing 20 reply threads
                                                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics