The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

14 to Charlie

Forums General Melanoma Community 14 to Charlie

Participant

Whew.  I really had a great time when Janis Joplin and Joe Walsh came into my room in ICU and we had a super jam session.

The nurses are so kind " Well, Charlie if you saw them and played with them, they MUST have been here and just slipped out before anybody else saw them?"

Yeah, rightio; just be sure and leave some meat on a plate in the corner for when Bigfoot drops by later.

14 is enuf right now, so now comes the lasik push and probably an interesting  mind warp.

Let's see here 14 bags @7 grand a copy is………………ah!  98 grand.

At those prices I REALLY need to get a good buzz.

Wowee, some major muffler burn going on here though.

I'm pretty sure I will lose my mind tonight because the wallpaper here looks like the inside of an infected colon and I have no prior visual of that so probably no more posts until I dry out.

Cheers,

Charlie 

Viewing 35 reply threads
    • Replies
        Bubbles
        Participant

Way to go, Charlie! When the shit hits the fan…you might as well enjoy what you can! Get some rest, buddy! C

Bubbles
          Participant

Way to go, Charlie! When the shit hits the fan…you might as well enjoy what you can! Get some rest, buddy! C

Bubbles
            Participant

jennunicorn
              Participant

If it makes you feel any better.. 4 infusions of Ipi was almost $200,000… obviously I don't have to pay that, but it's pretty crazy to see on the pharmacy bill.

Say hi to Bigfoot ๐Ÿ™‚

jennunicorn
                Participant

If it makes you feel any better.. 4 infusions of Ipi was almost $200,000… obviously I don't have to pay that, but it's pretty crazy to see on the pharmacy bill.

Say hi to Bigfoot ๐Ÿ™‚

jennunicorn
                  Participant

Say hi to Bigfoot ๐Ÿ™‚

Kim K
                    Participant

Just wait until you peel.  Think of it as insurance paying for a chemical laser peel and then you get to do it again!  Yes, you can have peel on top of peel.  It looked like it was snowing wherever I went, but this is during summer in Hawaii!  I didn't know you can peel the inside of your eyelids and nostrils, but you can.

Yes, and my A– hole was so sore I would cry before I exploded.  You would have thought something crawled up inside me and died.  Poo-porrui or the One-drop helped to mitigate things a bit.

It was so cruel, they put my leash on just short of the commode so I was forced to use the stupid potty chair.  Talk about humiliating.  Then when finished, said I coldn't shower since I was no longer a patient.  My doc said just use the one in ICU.  I laughed because there isn't a shower in the ICU, I mean think about it?!  Most are in a coma and could care less.

I took a shower in the cardiac ward instead.  It was the bestest shower I have ever had.

I only "dreamed" about taking my dogs to the river for a swim.  I was speaking to the ceiling tiles at the time.

14 – totally awesome!

Hope it works for you.  At least the recovery is fairly quick.

KK

Charlie S
                        Participant

You just HAD to remind me of the peel, didn;t you?????

Yes, it has started and will only get worse after my week off and then back on.

EVERY bit of my body is starting to flake up and peel.

My mind is coming back but still a bit fuzzy and spacy.

No more Joe Walsh though.  Crap.

My doc asked me is anything was familiar from the last time I did this.

My response…………………..Yeah, it still sucks.

Always nice to hear from you Kim

Cheers,

Charlie

Charlie S
                          Participant

Cheers,

Charlie

Charlie S
                            Participant

Cheers,

Charlie

Kim K
                            Participant

Just wait until you peel.  Think of it as insurance paying for a chemical laser peel and then you get to do it again!  Yes, you can have peel on top of peel.  It looked like it was snowing wherever I went, but this is during summer in Hawaii!  I didn't know you can peel the inside of your eyelids and nostrils, but you can.

Yes, and my A– hole was so sore I would cry before I exploded.  You would have thought something crawled up inside me and died.  Poo-porrui or the One-drop helped to mitigate things a bit.

It was so cruel, they put my leash on just short of the commode so I was forced to use the stupid potty chair.  Talk about humiliating.  Then when finished, said I coldn't shower since I was no longer a patient.  My doc said just use the one in ICU.  I laughed because there isn't a shower in the ICU, I mean think about it?!  Most are in a coma and could care less.

I took a shower in the cardiac ward instead.  It was the bestest shower I have ever had.

I only "dreamed" about taking my dogs to the river for a swim.  I was speaking to the ceiling tiles at the time.

14 – totally awesome!

KK

Kim K
                              Participant

14 – totally awesome!

KK

WithinMySkin
                                Participant
                                  I am so jealous of your jam session!! You just had the two funkiest musicians making beautiful music with you. Keep jamming, Charlie! ๐Ÿ™‚
                                  WithinMySkin
                                  Participant
                                    I am so jealous of your jam session!! You just had the two funkiest musicians making beautiful music with you. Keep jamming, Charlie! ๐Ÿ™‚
                                    WithinMySkin
                                    Participant
                                      ecc26
                                      Participant

I just took a moment to catch up a bit on what's going on with you. In particular I like your explanation of why you chose IL-2 agin over some of the newer options. I identify with that quite a bit. I started with IL-2 when I hit stage 4 in 2011 and it also worked for me (unfortunately not for very long). I also haven't been particularly impressed with many of the newer options- particularly Ipi and now the combo of that and PD-1. I never liked Ipi, but ended up with it anyway, mostly based on insurance (and brain mets), failed that pretty spectacularly, then was basically forced onto the BRAF/MEK combo, which I didn't really want to do, but there were no other options as my brain mets kept me out of other trials and they were't willing to do IL-2 again (pesky brain mets). That failed pretty quickly as well. I ended up on PD-1, which did remarkably well for me for almost a year and a half, but then started to fail, leaving me where I am now. The option that all my docters were suggesting was to do the Ipi/PD-1 combo, but quite frankly, I see no point in trying a combination of drugs each of which have already failed, especially given that there is no data on people who have used the drugs in the past, but there is good evidence that the side effects are worse and there are more of them. 

I remember well what it was like to go through IL-2. I didn't count the number of bags I got each time, but I remember well the experience, which, as they told me it would be, was not pleasant. I do remember though that recovery was relatively quick, so I'm hoping that this works for you and wishing a quick recovery for you as welll. I have spent a lot of time in the past arguing for the choice of IL-2 with those who would argue that it should never be used. It has value and it's always a personal choice, and like you say- what works for one does not always work for another. 

Best of luck to you- hope it works again.

-Eva

ecc26
                                        Participant

I just took a moment to catch up a bit on what's going on with you. In particular I like your explanation of why you chose IL-2 agin over some of the newer options. I identify with that quite a bit. I started with IL-2 when I hit stage 4 in 2011 and it also worked for me (unfortunately not for very long). I also haven't been particularly impressed with many of the newer options- particularly Ipi and now the combo of that and PD-1. I never liked Ipi, but ended up with it anyway, mostly based on insurance (and brain mets), failed that pretty spectacularly, then was basically forced onto the BRAF/MEK combo, which I didn't really want to do, but there were no other options as my brain mets kept me out of other trials and they were't willing to do IL-2 again (pesky brain mets). That failed pretty quickly as well. I ended up on PD-1, which did remarkably well for me for almost a year and a half, but then started to fail, leaving me where I am now. The option that all my docters were suggesting was to do the Ipi/PD-1 combo, but quite frankly, I see no point in trying a combination of drugs each of which have already failed, especially given that there is no data on people who have used the drugs in the past, but there is good evidence that the side effects are worse and there are more of them. 

I remember well what it was like to go through IL-2. I didn't count the number of bags I got each time, but I remember well the experience, which, as they told me it would be, was not pleasant. I do remember though that recovery was relatively quick, so I'm hoping that this works for you and wishing a quick recovery for you as welll. I have spent a lot of time in the past arguing for the choice of IL-2 with those who would argue that it should never be used. It has value and it's always a personal choice, and like you say- what works for one does not always work for another. 

-Eva

ecc26
                                          Participant

-Eva

Kim K
                                              Participant

I only had surgery and a total of 23 bags of IL-2.  I have been NED for 6 years in 2 more months!  If it works and you are a complete responder, you have a better than average chance of a durable lifelong remission.  The newer drugs haven't been around that long to have a track record like that.  When it works, it can work really well.  Too bad only a small percentage respond.  Then again, the new drugs may be better, just not durable.

IL-2 should not be relagated to mothballs, it still has its place.

Kim K
                                                Participant

I only had surgery and a total of 23 bags of IL-2.  I have been NED for 6 years in 2 more months!  If it works and you are a complete responder, you have a better than average chance of a durable lifelong remission.  The newer drugs haven't been around that long to have a track record like that.  When it works, it can work really well.  Too bad only a small percentage respond.  Then again, the new drugs may be better, just not durable.

Kim K
                                                  Participant

JoshF
                                                    Participant

If you fail IL-2once…is it worth a try again? Any data showing responses 2nd time around?

JoshF
                                                      Participant

If you fail IL-2once…is it worth a try again? Any data showing responses 2nd time around?

JoshF
                                                        Participant

JoshF
                                                          Participant

JoshF
                                                            Participant

JoshF
                                                              Participant

kpcollins31
                                                              Participant

You are a trooper. Hang in there and enjoy the buzz!

Kevin

kpcollins31
                                                                Participant

Kevin

kpcollins31
                                                                  Participant

Kevin

DZnDef
                                                                    Participant

I'm sorry IL-2 is so brutal for you, but it's entertaining for me, at least your recap of it is.  Way to make lemonade out of lemons!  Hope you feel better soon!

DZnDef
                                                                      Participant

I'm sorry IL-2 is so brutal for you, but it's entertaining for me, at least your recap of it is.  Way to make lemonade out of lemons!  Hope you feel better soon!

DZnDef
                                                                        Participant

kylez
                                                                          Participant

Joe Walsh! I've come late in life into appreciating his solo albums.

Anyhow, freedom/walking papers right around the corner for you now!!!

I think of IL2 now as a kind of "extreme sport". For me, each time was like facing jumping into a tunnel of unknown length. Kind of like the "tunnels" in the movie 2001 or Contact but not as fun, more like descending into a kind of Hades. Until 'emergence' it would feel like a blanket party, without end. 

I got to 10, 7, 9 and 4 bags. After the first or second bag I would not be in any kind shape to type into a computer.

My current oncologist does IL-2. He mentioned it as a possibility if the treatment I've been getting (Opdivo plus another drug) didn't work. He still treats with it. It stopped 8 lung mets in 2010 that have still not come back. 

kylez
                                                                            Participant

I think of IL2 now as a kind of "extreme sport". For me, each time was like facing jumping into a tunnel of unknown length. Kind of like the "tunnels" in the movie 2001 or Contact but not as fun, more like descending into a kind of Hades. Until 'emergence' it would feel like a blanket party, without end. 

I got to 10, 7, 9 and 4 bags. After the first or second bag I would not be in any kind shape to type into a computer.

My current oncologist does IL-2. He mentioned it as a possibility if the treatment I've been getting (Opdivo plus another drug) didn't work. He still treats with it. It stopped 8 lung mets in 2010 that have still not come back. 

kylez
                                                                              Participant

JoshF
                                                                                Participant

Damnit Charlie!!! I hadn't seen you around here much though I honestly only check in periodically. I had hope that after your war, you retired and were living the good life. You we're one of the first people to respond to me 5 years ago….I remember clearly, "chewing bubble gum and kicking ass" is what you did and you were all out of bubble gum. Why do I have this feeling your out of bubble gum again? Hang in there brother…

Josh

JoshF
                                                                                  Participant

Damnit Charlie!!! I hadn't seen you around here much though I honestly only check in periodically. I had hope that after your war, you retired and were living the good life. You we're one of the first people to respond to me 5 years ago….I remember clearly, "chewing bubble gum and kicking ass" is what you did and you were all out of bubble gum. Why do I have this feeling your out of bubble gum again? Hang in there brother…

Josh

JoshF
                                                                                    Participant

Josh

washoegal
                                                                                      Participant

Charlie,

I hardly ever reply to posts any more unless I have experience in the area but you hold a special spot in my heart.  You have always been so great with helping everyone and passing on wonderful information.  Keep posting and keep sharing you vivid experiences, you never know…they might help someone else.  In any case they are entertaining. 

I just wanted to let you know how much to mean to all of us.  Hang in there and keep counting those flowers on the wall (or in your case colon twists).

Mary

washoegal
                                                                                        Participant

Charlie,

I hardly ever reply to posts any more unless I have experience in the area but you hold a special spot in my heart.  You have always been so great with helping everyone and passing on wonderful information.  Keep posting and keep sharing you vivid experiences, you never know…they might help someone else.  In any case they are entertaining. 

I just wanted to let you know how much to mean to all of us.  Hang in there and keep counting those flowers on the wall (or in your case colon twists).

Mary

washoegal
                                                                                          Participant

Charlie,

Mary

mike_nj
                                                                                            Participant

Hi Charlie

Gave Laura and Amber and Diane and Andrew the update of the IL2 treatment  

Good luck next round and we all hope to see you this summer either down there or up here in NJ for a get together

Going to Vancouver in Washington State as I mentioned.for work but not in the mood but there are worse places for our factories

If you want some bad electric guitar in your room, I will come and play but that would ruin any sleep for you!.  

See you

Mike K

mike_nj
                                                                                              Participant

Hi Charlie

Good luck next round and we all hope to see you this summer either down there or up here in NJ for a get together

Going to Vancouver in Washington State as I mentioned.for work but not in the mood but there are worse places for our factories

If you want some bad electric guitar in your room, I will come and play but that would ruin any sleep for you!.  

See you

Mike K

mike_nj
                                                                                                Participant

Hi Charlie

See you

Mike K

Maureen038
                                                                                                    Participant

You are a true warrior !!! Keep on fighting and do whatever you can to outmanueur the beast!!! Our thoughts are with you! You truly are an inspiration for so many of us!!!

Maureen

Maureen038
                                                                                                      Participant

You are a true warrior !!! Keep on fighting and do whatever you can to outmanueur the beast!!! Our thoughts are with you! You truly are an inspiration for so many of us!!!

Maureen

Maureen038
                                                                                                        Participant

Maureen

Charlie S
                                                                                                        Participant

Update.   After getting copies of my medical reports, I only did twelve bags.

One bag every eight hours for four days.

Monday through Thursday.

I think I can legitimally claim I was under the influence of drugs when I made that post.

Once agan, that is my story and I am sticking to it.  ๐Ÿ™‚

Cheers,

Charlie S

Charlie S
                                                                                                          Participant

Monday through Thursday.

I think I can legitimally claim I was under the influence of drugs when I made that post.

Cheers,

Charlie S

Charlie S
                                                                                                            Participant

Monday through Thursday.

Cheers,

Charlie S

Viewing 35 reply threads
                                                                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                                          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics