The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

1 year cancer free…but have a question.

Forums General Melanoma Community 1 year cancer free…but have a question.

Participant

I had my WLE and LB on Aug 5th, 2011 and almost a year later I am cancer free! YAY! However, I have some sort of cyst or fluid filled pocket in the incision where my WLE was. My PCP doesn't seem to be bothered by it and I see my Derm this coming Monday. I am supposed to be seeing a Derm every 6 months but because I live in an extremely remote area I have yet to see one since my surgery last Aug. (2011) Just wondering if any of you had ever had this problem, or heard of it. Hoping it's just fluid buildup but a little nervous. ANy help is appreciated…THANKS!

I had my WLE and LB on Aug 5th, 2011 and almost a year later I am cancer free! YAY! However, I have some sort of cyst or fluid filled pocket in the incision where my WLE was. My PCP doesn't seem to be bothered by it and I see my Derm this coming Monday. I am supposed to be seeing a Derm every 6 months but because I live in an extremely remote area I have yet to see one since my surgery last Aug. (2011) Just wondering if any of you had ever had this problem, or heard of it. Hoping it's just fluid buildup but a little nervous. ANy help is appreciated…THANKS!

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        AZ_Gal
        Participant

meant to say SNB not LB. sorry

AZ_Gal
          Participant

AZ_Gal
            Participant

washoegal
              Participant

You didn't say when this started to occur but yes I had something similar.  It is likely lymph fluid that has built up in one spot, call a sarcoma. This is quite common.  It is only a major worry is if it bursts.  If you can do it, a lymphodema massage therapist would be a help.  Once the derm confirms that this is what it is, if a message therapist is just too inconvenient,  I was advised to put a warm wash cloth on it to help disperse the fluid. 

In my case the warm rag didn't work and it burst.  Wasn't the end of the world.  But the lymph fluid causes some nasty burning on the surrounding skin and since I had all my lymph nodes removed there was the fear of infection.  Luckily I was smart enough to get to the emergency room where they showed me proper wound care so there was really no harm done. 

I hope that that is all you are experiencing.  Let us know.

Mary

Stage3

gabsound
                  Participant
                    Mary- I think you meant seroma not sarcoma. Just don’t want anyone to google sarcoma which is another kind of cancer.

I also had a seroma after surgery although it occurred close to the time of surgery not a year later. To be on the safe side I’d ask for an ultrasound which is good at determining if something is just fluid or possibly something more concerning.

Julie in Las Vegas

gabsound
                    Participant
                      Mary- I think you meant seroma not sarcoma. Just don’t want anyone to google sarcoma which is another kind of cancer.

I also had a seroma after surgery although it occurred close to the time of surgery not a year later. To be on the safe side I’d ask for an ultrasound which is good at determining if something is just fluid or possibly something more concerning.

Julie in Las Vegas

gabsound
                      Participant

Julie in Las Vegas

washoegal
                      Participant

You didn't say when this started to occur but yes I had something similar.  It is likely lymph fluid that has built up in one spot, call a sarcoma. This is quite common.  It is only a major worry is if it bursts.  If you can do it, a lymphodema massage therapist would be a help.  Once the derm confirms that this is what it is, if a message therapist is just too inconvenient,  I was advised to put a warm wash cloth on it to help disperse the fluid. 

In my case the warm rag didn't work and it burst.  Wasn't the end of the world.  But the lymph fluid causes some nasty burning on the surrounding skin and since I had all my lymph nodes removed there was the fear of infection.  Luckily I was smart enough to get to the emergency room where they showed me proper wound care so there was really no harm done. 

Mary

Stage3

washoegal
                        Participant

Mary

Stage3

Viewing 5 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics