The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

1 week pre-op and freaking out!

Forums General Melanoma Community 1 week pre-op and freaking out!

Participant

Ok so I'm exactly one week away from my SNB and WLE and totally freaking out. Only had surgery once before and it was horrible. they told me i'd wake up with my husband next to me and i woke up sooner than planned he was there, the tube was still in my mouth, which meant i couldn't ask for him. and i was freaking out not knowing why i couldn't talk.

Ok so I'm exactly one week away from my SNB and WLE and totally freaking out. Only had surgery once before and it was horrible. they told me i'd wake up with my husband next to me and i woke up sooner than planned he was there, the tube was still in my mouth, which meant i couldn't ask for him. and i was freaking out not knowing why i couldn't talk.

This time i have 3 beautiful children waiting for me at home. Thankfully my husband was able to get his FMLA put through so he could go the to surgery with me, and my mom will stay with my kiddos. but I'm still freaking out. it is all i can seem to think about. the what if crap is getting old. what if they find something? what if there is a complication? what if…. what if…. what if…. ugh!!!!

Any ideas on how i can get over the freaked out part of all of this?

Thanks guys!

Kim from Arizona

Viewing 15 reply threads
    • Replies
        AZ_Gal
        Participant

they really need to let you edit this thing…. i meant to say "he wasnt there and the tube was still in my mouth"

AZ_Gal
          Participant

they really need to let you edit this thing…. i meant to say "he wasnt there and the tube was still in my mouth"

AZ_Gal
            Participant

AZ_Gal
              Participant

akls
                Participant

Kim

I can understand your fear.  I will admit that from the day I heard my diagnosis, I've been taking a xanax in the evening just to calm my mind.  I took my daughters ipod with me for the SNB tracer and they let me listen to it.  It took my mind off of the little pokes they do around the melanoma site.  I've had 5 surgeries in the past 9 years and I still freak out every time.  I was told that there was only a 20 percent chance it had spread to my lymph node.  I found out 2 weeks laster it had, but the rest of my nodes were clear and it was only a tiny  amount that they found.  The odds are with you. 

You aren't alone.  We are all hear for support.

Amy S. in Michigan

akls
                  Participant

Kim

I can understand your fear.  I will admit that from the day I heard my diagnosis, I've been taking a xanax in the evening just to calm my mind.  I took my daughters ipod with me for the SNB tracer and they let me listen to it.  It took my mind off of the little pokes they do around the melanoma site.  I've had 5 surgeries in the past 9 years and I still freak out every time.  I was told that there was only a 20 percent chance it had spread to my lymph node.  I found out 2 weeks laster it had, but the rest of my nodes were clear and it was only a tiny  amount that they found.  The odds are with you. 

You aren't alone.  We are all hear for support.

Amy S. in Michigan

AZ_Gal
                      Participant

thanks Amy!

the ipod is def coming with me. but what to do in the mean time…i have no idea!

I have had a migraine every day since they removed the tumor which was June 1st, 2011! the stress is gonna kill me…lol. not really funny but im sure you understand the agony.

AZ_Gal
                        Participant

thanks Amy!

the ipod is def coming with me. but what to do in the mean time…i have no idea!

I have had a migraine every day since they removed the tumor which was June 1st, 2011! the stress is gonna kill me…lol. not really funny but im sure you understand the agony.

lhaley
                        Participant

Kim

When you go in for your pre-op visit and talk to the anesteologist (sorry about the spelling) make sure to tell them about your last experience.  If they know of the issue then they can prevent.

I do know that I've never woken up with a tube down my throat but my husband is not allowed in until I am through with the recovery part. At least in Charlotte where I've had my last several surgeries I wake up and there is a nurse by my side who is montering me. If I have pain they take care of it, if I'm cold they get me blankets ect. That nurse does not leave my side till I'm totally conscience and ready to be moved to the next section where once they take my vitals another time then they go and get my husband.

The Dr will have talked to your husband while you are in recovery. You will probably ask your husband many times what the Dr said but you won't remember what he says.  The Dr will most likely tell your husband that you are recovering and how many nodes he took out and maybe something about your recovery. They will not have the final results of the pathology for a few days.  As my urology oncologist has told us, he will not speculate on the results. He once told someone that everything looked good and it turned out it was not. He said he learned his lesson that one time and now will not predict.

Take this time to have fun with your children. Take them to the zoo, shopping, whatever, just keep busy.  Being busy helps and it also will reasure your children.

Oh yeah, for me the worst part is putting in the IV. Now they numb the area first for me and I no longer dread that part.

Linda

stage IV since 06  ….  more surgeries than I care to remember …. NED 2 months

AZ_Gal
                            Participant

thx linda!

AZ_Gal
                              Participant

thx linda!

Charlie S
                                Participant

Big ditto to what Linda said.  Talk to the anesthesiologist (sp), those people just loooooooooooove giving you good drugs so you won't wake up too soon and you won't remember a thing.  They shoot me up and tell me to count to three……………never made it past one.

I could post a video of the an actual SNB but that probably wouldn't be helpful !

Although they do happen, surgical complications are the exception to the rule, just tell  your surgeon you are apprehensive, tell the pre-op nurses you are apprehensive, tell any medical person within earshot you are apprehensive……………….they will take good care of you; but DO speak up.

Good luck.

Charlie S

AZ_Gal
                                  Participant

Speaking of video of an actual SNB I have found one on you tube…. i do much better if I know ahead of time what is gonna happen.

nicoli
                                    Participant

I can assure you that's nothing like my SLNB. 

As soon as they get you into the surgery preparation room, ask for drugs. Ativan (in the IV) is my choice and I feel much better. Take all the drugs they give you, before and after surgery.

Nicki, Stage 3b

nicoli
                                      Participant

I can assure you that's nothing like my SLNB. 

As soon as they get you into the surgery preparation room, ask for drugs. Ativan (in the IV) is my choice and I feel much better. Take all the drugs they give you, before and after surgery.

Nicki, Stage 3b

AZ_Gal
                                        Participant

Speaking of video of an actual SNB I have found one on you tube…. i do much better if I know ahead of time what is gonna happen.

Charlie S
                                          Participant

Big ditto to what Linda said.  Talk to the anesthesiologist (sp), those people just loooooooooooove giving you good drugs so you won't wake up too soon and you won't remember a thing.  They shoot me up and tell me to count to three……………never made it past one.

I could post a video of the an actual SNB but that probably wouldn't be helpful !

Although they do happen, surgical complications are the exception to the rule, just tell  your surgeon you are apprehensive, tell the pre-op nurses you are apprehensive, tell any medical person within earshot you are apprehensive……………….they will take good care of you; but DO speak up.

Good luck.

Charlie S

lhaley
                                          Participant

Kim

When you go in for your pre-op visit and talk to the anesteologist (sorry about the spelling) make sure to tell them about your last experience.  If they know of the issue then they can prevent.

I do know that I've never woken up with a tube down my throat but my husband is not allowed in until I am through with the recovery part. At least in Charlotte where I've had my last several surgeries I wake up and there is a nurse by my side who is montering me. If I have pain they take care of it, if I'm cold they get me blankets ect. That nurse does not leave my side till I'm totally conscience and ready to be moved to the next section where once they take my vitals another time then they go and get my husband.

The Dr will have talked to your husband while you are in recovery. You will probably ask your husband many times what the Dr said but you won't remember what he says.  The Dr will most likely tell your husband that you are recovering and how many nodes he took out and maybe something about your recovery. They will not have the final results of the pathology for a few days.  As my urology oncologist has told us, he will not speculate on the results. He once told someone that everything looked good and it turned out it was not. He said he learned his lesson that one time and now will not predict.

Take this time to have fun with your children. Take them to the zoo, shopping, whatever, just keep busy.  Being busy helps and it also will reasure your children.

Oh yeah, for me the worst part is putting in the IV. Now they numb the area first for me and I no longer dread that part.

Linda

stage IV since 06  ….  more surgeries than I care to remember …. NED 2 months

Leigh
                                            Participant

Hi Kim

I know how you feel, it is really hard.  I had a c-section then 3 months later had the same procedure as you (with very similar pathology).  It was a really difficult time with the not knowing and having a very young baby and toddler to care for as well as a difficult recovery being off my feet for a month.  I hope you manage to get some time out from being a carer so you can look after yourself properly.  It is a big lesson that I am still learning that I need to look after myself first – without you everything falls down.  I'm still not sure what words might help somebody with the waiting and not knowing, none of us know for sure what is going to happen to us in the future.  It is very frightening especially with the little ones to think of.  I do know though that you have a really good chance it will be negative – I am not sure of the exact stats but the odds are very much on your side and you just need to remember that.  Make sure you take time out, go for walks etc and just look after yourself mentally and physically.  A couple of friends of mine were of huge support (and they weren't the ones I expected to be!) so talk to people and see who can help you deal with it as not everybody can.  Anyway, my 2c worth. Best wishes

AZ_Gal
                                                Participant

Thanks Leigh

AZ_Gal
                                                  Participant

Thanks Leigh

Leigh
                                                  Participant

Hi Kim

I know how you feel, it is really hard.  I had a c-section then 3 months later had the same procedure as you (with very similar pathology).  It was a really difficult time with the not knowing and having a very young baby and toddler to care for as well as a difficult recovery being off my feet for a month.  I hope you manage to get some time out from being a carer so you can look after yourself properly.  It is a big lesson that I am still learning that I need to look after myself first – without you everything falls down.  I'm still not sure what words might help somebody with the waiting and not knowing, none of us know for sure what is going to happen to us in the future.  It is very frightening especially with the little ones to think of.  I do know though that you have a really good chance it will be negative – I am not sure of the exact stats but the odds are very much on your side and you just need to remember that.  Make sure you take time out, go for walks etc and just look after yourself mentally and physically.  A couple of friends of mine were of huge support (and they weren't the ones I expected to be!) so talk to people and see who can help you deal with it as not everybody can.  Anyway, my 2c worth. Best wishes

Carol Taylor
                                                    Participant

HI Kim,

Great ideas on taking the ipod, doing things to take your mind off things, Linda walked you through what to expect.

So, I want to pick up your "what ifs."  What if crap is getting old? That's a huge one we all think about. If something's there, it's there and growing and getting huge, and spreading who knows where…Sound about where your mind is going? I remember that's where mine went.

Brief mole history: my dreadful mole started noticeably changin in March 2008. I finally got the nerve to start calling derm offices for appt to get it removed in late April-early May, that time frame. None could see me till Sept-Oct. Finally after several calls I took a Sept 28th appt. I knew by how my mole had changed and looked that it was cancerous. When it started bleeding in JULY, I was beyond positive. I was taking classes on the Duke campus, went to a Duke Urgent Care that afternoon, got it removed. Canceled the Sept 28th appt. Learned a week later it was melanoma and they had already made me an appt with Duke onc.  Remember, if I hadn't been where I was and if it hadn't started bleeding, I would have held to that thing 2 and a half more months.

I asked my surgical onc, a mel spec, later what would have been the outcome had that scenario played out instead of what happened. And he told me that it would have been the same results…mel in first sentinel node..maybe, maybe might have begun moving into a second…no major changes.

So, what's there now is what will be there in a week.

What if they find something? They'll tell you and your husband. They'll give you recommendations based on what they find. You'll freak out a little more then get your head together and make a plan. You'll deal with it and do what you have to do.

What if there's a complication? You'll be surrounded by topnotch doctors and nurses of various kinds with various abilities and specialties. You will not be alone. They'll handle it. Depending on the potential complication, it may increase your recovery time, you may need an extra day in the hospital, again, you'll handle the particular ccomplication as it needs to be handled because you'll do what you have to do.

Chances are in your favor that there will be no complications for your particular procedure and they'll send you home that evening…yes, they generally don't keep you.

People will say the stats are in your favor for this or that, the problem is that all stats, the positive side and the negative side are made up of people that the things happened to. While stats are usually in someone's favor, that doesn't mean you won't be that small stat after all. I've found myself in that spot several times. It happens. it's no fun when it happens to you, so you're doing well to ask your questions.

So, another way to get over being freaked out, besides the ways you've been given, are to understand that whatever happens, it's workable and usually fixable. Have a plan in mind..if I have to stay the night… if they find something I'll…talk with your husband, don't leave him out…how will he help pick up the pieces if you're in bed a few days…?Make a plan.  That might help.

Hoping all goes well and they find nothing. If they do find something, we'll help you deal with it. Will be thinking about you friend.

Grace and peace,

Carol

Carol Taylor
                                                      Participant

HI Kim,

Great ideas on taking the ipod, doing things to take your mind off things, Linda walked you through what to expect.

So, I want to pick up your "what ifs."  What if crap is getting old? That's a huge one we all think about. If something's there, it's there and growing and getting huge, and spreading who knows where…Sound about where your mind is going? I remember that's where mine went.

Brief mole history: my dreadful mole started noticeably changin in March 2008. I finally got the nerve to start calling derm offices for appt to get it removed in late April-early May, that time frame. None could see me till Sept-Oct. Finally after several calls I took a Sept 28th appt. I knew by how my mole had changed and looked that it was cancerous. When it started bleeding in JULY, I was beyond positive. I was taking classes on the Duke campus, went to a Duke Urgent Care that afternoon, got it removed. Canceled the Sept 28th appt. Learned a week later it was melanoma and they had already made me an appt with Duke onc.  Remember, if I hadn't been where I was and if it hadn't started bleeding, I would have held to that thing 2 and a half more months.

I asked my surgical onc, a mel spec, later what would have been the outcome had that scenario played out instead of what happened. And he told me that it would have been the same results…mel in first sentinel node..maybe, maybe might have begun moving into a second…no major changes.

So, what's there now is what will be there in a week.

What if they find something? They'll tell you and your husband. They'll give you recommendations based on what they find. You'll freak out a little more then get your head together and make a plan. You'll deal with it and do what you have to do.

What if there's a complication? You'll be surrounded by topnotch doctors and nurses of various kinds with various abilities and specialties. You will not be alone. They'll handle it. Depending on the potential complication, it may increase your recovery time, you may need an extra day in the hospital, again, you'll handle the particular ccomplication as it needs to be handled because you'll do what you have to do.

Chances are in your favor that there will be no complications for your particular procedure and they'll send you home that evening…yes, they generally don't keep you.

People will say the stats are in your favor for this or that, the problem is that all stats, the positive side and the negative side are made up of people that the things happened to. While stats are usually in someone's favor, that doesn't mean you won't be that small stat after all. I've found myself in that spot several times. It happens. it's no fun when it happens to you, so you're doing well to ask your questions.

So, another way to get over being freaked out, besides the ways you've been given, are to understand that whatever happens, it's workable and usually fixable. Have a plan in mind..if I have to stay the night… if they find something I'll…talk with your husband, don't leave him out…how will he help pick up the pieces if you're in bed a few days…?Make a plan.  That might help.

Hoping all goes well and they find nothing. If they do find something, we'll help you deal with it. Will be thinking about you friend.

Grace and peace,

Carol

MichaelFL
                                                        Participant

I was not found of going through any of the mess either. I just kept saying this needs to be done. Heck, I did not even like the thought of having a mole removed on my first derm visit. I really did not like it AT ALL when he said he wanted to remove four of them. I actually walked in the door and said shit, shit, shit-I can't believe I am here and doing this. I am now glad I did, as if I did not, I am not sure where I would be today.

I do not think anything would bother me now if I needed to have it done. Mole removal, SNB, more WLE surgery. I have seen many times what the beast can do, and I will do my best to stay ahead of the beast.

You'll be fine. You can do it.

Michael 1b

MichaelFL
                                                          Participant

I was not found of going through any of the mess either. I just kept saying this needs to be done. Heck, I did not even like the thought of having a mole removed on my first derm visit. I really did not like it AT ALL when he said he wanted to remove four of them. I actually walked in the door and said shit, shit, shit-I can't believe I am here and doing this. I am now glad I did, as if I did not, I am not sure where I would be today.

I do not think anything would bother me now if I needed to have it done. Mole removal, SNB, more WLE surgery. I have seen many times what the beast can do, and I will do my best to stay ahead of the beast.

You'll be fine. You can do it.

Michael 1b

Ranisa
                                                            Participant

How did it all go?

Ranisa
                                                              Participant

How did it all go?

Viewing 15 reply threads
                                                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics