The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Updat

Participant
      2 weeks ago, I found out the brain met from last november was starting to grow, but they didn’t know if was blood or met. So I decided to go to Florida and had a great time with my family. I also found out the brain hadn’t grown for 13 days, so in 2 weeks, I’ll know everything. This could be good things from ipi, which i’ll find out everything on Friday.

I’ve never taken a steroid and still have high lymphocyte, so I don’t want to effect the immune system. However, I’ll have to take them as I’m experiencing things like a weak hand. I used to have other problems, but no longer have then. Does the steroid really make you feel better?

Lisa

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        justlittleoleme
        Participant

The steroid brings with it many side effects.  My husband is on a huge dose so he has lots of side effects.  If you can avoid them, I would.

He now has steroid induced diabetes that he uses insulin for.  He has swelling, folliculitis, increased thirst and hunger, steroid belly, weakness in legs, loss of strength…..you get the picture.

justlittleoleme
          Participant

The steroid brings with it many side effects.  My husband is on a huge dose so he has lots of side effects.  If you can avoid them, I would.

He now has steroid induced diabetes that he uses insulin for.  He has swelling, folliculitis, increased thirst and hunger, steroid belly, weakness in legs, loss of strength…..you get the picture.

justlittleoleme
            Participant

Linny
              Participant

Hi Lisa,

It's great to hear good news from you! I sure hope that the ipi is kicking butt for you. Sure looks that way and I pray the scans confirm it.

If prednisone is the steroid your doc wants to put you on, it will come with side effects. I was on it for about 3 weeks for a non-melanoma condition and for me it caused bloating, thirst, sleeplessness, hot flashes, heart palpitations, and muscle weakness in the legs. Aside from the side effects, it worked pretty well in alleviating the condition it was prescribed for,

Linny
                Participant

Hi Lisa,

It's great to hear good news from you! I sure hope that the ipi is kicking butt for you. Sure looks that way and I pray the scans confirm it.

If prednisone is the steroid your doc wants to put you on, it will come with side effects. I was on it for about 3 weeks for a non-melanoma condition and for me it caused bloating, thirst, sleeplessness, hot flashes, heart palpitations, and muscle weakness in the legs. Aside from the side effects, it worked pretty well in alleviating the condition it was prescribed for,

Linny
                  Participant

Hi Lisa,

hope4cure1
                    Participant

Hey Lisa,

Just want you to know that I'm pulling for you.  You were so right to take a trip and enjoy your family.  That's what life really is.  You hold on to your strength and positive attitude.  You, young lady, are a champ!

Hope

hope4cure1
                      Participant

Hey Lisa,

Just want you to know that I'm pulling for you.  You were so right to take a trip and enjoy your family.  That's what life really is.  You hold on to your strength and positive attitude.  You, young lady, are a champ!

Hope

hope4cure1
                        Participant

Hey Lisa,

Hope

Viewing 8 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics