The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Started ipi reinduction- almost a week after gamma knife

Forums General Melanoma Community Started ipi reinduction- almost a week after gamma knife

Participant

Hi Everyone,

Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to know who started ipi after finishing gamma knife?  I know Kyle is one of the people, so I wanted to know if there is anyone else?  I havn't had any steroids and I don't want to take any as I know it could mess up the ipi.  I might have to though, cause I do feel a bit of weakness in my right hand and it's quite possible it's the edema and I don't ever know if the ipi is causing inflammation.  I'm really hoping that ipi this time around keeps any other tumours growing and thankfully, I'm going every 2 months.

Thanks,

Lisa

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        lyndaloo
        Participant

Hi LIsa – my husband had ipi after tomotherapy to the brain which is similar to gama knife. Beginning his ipi treatnent he was showing a bit of edema but not enough to stop him from getting ipi.  After his third round of ipi he was getting numbness, fuzzy vision and headaches.  They did an emerg mri and cat scan to find out the edema had gone crazy, they are calling this a very rare side effect, but I feel that since he had some edema to start with the ipi caused inflammation, thus flared up the edema.  After getting on steroids he was able to get his last round of ipi and is now gradually weaning off the steroids. All the numbness and headaches have gone and eyesight is much better.  Tomorrow we go for his 16 week scan to find out the ipi results  (he had a scan mid way through during this and it showed the ipi was shrinking the tumors dramatically, it also showed the brain tumors to be inactive at that time as well).  We are hoping and praying for good scan results.  He is feeling great now and his body is adjusting to the weaning process, now at 8 mg a day from 16 mg. We are located in London Ontario and are keeping a close eye on the anti pd1 trial starting up in Toronto soon.  I hope this second round of ipi kicks in for you once and for alll.

Sincerely,

Lyndaloo

Lisa13
            Participant

Hi Lyndaloo,

I'm located in Toronto, so its great to hear from my fellow Canadian :).  I see my Dr. tomorrow, so I'll be asking him about Anti PDI which they said would be arriving in May.  If I hear of anything, I'll let you know as my Dr. is at Princess Margaret.

Since I'm on ipi reinduction again, I'm a bit nervous of the brain met's getting inflammerd and gettling worse.  I'm not at the stage of steroids yet, and hope I can get through this without it. It sounds like your husband may get some good results – especially the brain mets which now seem to be inactive.  

I'm hoping for the best news with your husband's ipi!

Lisa

lyndaloo
              Participant

Thank you Lisa, my prayers are for you as well.  I hope you are faring well with the ipi re-induction.  Are you getting ipi the same way as before, once every 3 weeks for four treatments?

Lyndaloo 

lyndaloo
                Participant

Thank you Lisa, my prayers are for you as well.  I hope you are faring well with the ipi re-induction.  Are you getting ipi the same way as before, once every 3 weeks for four treatments?

Lyndaloo 

lyndaloo
                  Participant

Lyndaloo 

Lisa13
                    Participant

Hi Lyndaloo,

I'm located in Toronto, so its great to hear from my fellow Canadian :).  I see my Dr. tomorrow, so I'll be asking him about Anti PDI which they said would be arriving in May.  If I hear of anything, I'll let you know as my Dr. is at Princess Margaret.

Since I'm on ipi reinduction again, I'm a bit nervous of the brain met's getting inflammerd and gettling worse.  I'm not at the stage of steroids yet, and hope I can get through this without it. It sounds like your husband may get some good results – especially the brain mets which now seem to be inactive.  

Lisa

Lisa13
                      Participant

Hi Lyndaloo,

Lisa

lyndaloo
                      Participant

Hi LIsa – my husband had ipi after tomotherapy to the brain which is similar to gama knife. Beginning his ipi treatnent he was showing a bit of edema but not enough to stop him from getting ipi.  After his third round of ipi he was getting numbness, fuzzy vision and headaches.  They did an emerg mri and cat scan to find out the edema had gone crazy, they are calling this a very rare side effect, but I feel that since he had some edema to start with the ipi caused inflammation, thus flared up the edema.  After getting on steroids he was able to get his last round of ipi and is now gradually weaning off the steroids. All the numbness and headaches have gone and eyesight is much better.  Tomorrow we go for his 16 week scan to find out the ipi results  (he had a scan mid way through during this and it showed the ipi was shrinking the tumors dramatically, it also showed the brain tumors to be inactive at that time as well).  We are hoping and praying for good scan results.  He is feeling great now and his body is adjusting to the weaning process, now at 8 mg a day from 16 mg. We are located in London Ontario and are keeping a close eye on the anti pd1 trial starting up in Toronto soon.  I hope this second round of ipi kicks in for you once and for alll.

Sincerely,

Lyndaloo

lyndaloo
                        Participant

Sincerely,

Lyndaloo

shellebrownies
                          Participant

Lisa,

Just popping in to let you know I'm thinking of you. I don't post that often anymore, but I still check in here to see how people are doing. I take a special interest in following along with you and boot2aboot, since both of you and Don were diagnosed around the same time. 

I am glad they have been able to keep the brain mets in check and I sincerely hope that the ipi will knock the rest of it out for you!

Michelle, wife of Don

Lisa13
                              Participant

Hi Michelle.

It was so nice to hear from you.  I know you've been through so much, but sometimes it just feels better not being on this board.

I have my brain mri next Friday and I'm hoping the very best. I've been making sure I've checked every 2 months, so that the ones they found were small.  I hope over this second ipi reonduction, it will keep the brain mets away for a bit. It's possible.

I don't take alot of time on this website because I just want to live my life the best way possible. Right now, O'm completely normal and feel normal so that's good news for me.

I hope you're doing okay Michelle and wish you all the best. 

Lisa

Lisa13
                                Participant

Hi Michelle.

It was so nice to hear from you.  I know you've been through so much, but sometimes it just feels better not being on this board.

I have my brain mri next Friday and I'm hoping the very best. I've been making sure I've checked every 2 months, so that the ones they found were small.  I hope over this second ipi reonduction, it will keep the brain mets away for a bit. It's possible.

I don't take alot of time on this website because I just want to live my life the best way possible. Right now, O'm completely normal and feel normal so that's good news for me.

Lisa

Lisa13
                                  Participant

Hi Michelle.

Lisa

shellebrownies
                                  Participant

Lisa,

Just popping in to let you know I'm thinking of you. I don't post that often anymore, but I still check in here to see how people are doing. I take a special interest in following along with you and boot2aboot, since both of you and Don were diagnosed around the same time. 

I am glad they have been able to keep the brain mets in check and I sincerely hope that the ipi will knock the rest of it out for you!

Michelle, wife of Don

shellebrownies
                                    Participant

Lisa,

Michelle, wife of Don

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics