The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

SSD application question – anyone fill one out recently?

Forums General Melanoma Community SSD application question – anyone fill one out recently?

Participant

I am no longer working and am filling out an on-line application for social security disability.  I'm already stumped on this question.  "Have you been diagnosed with any specific condition that is expected to end in death"?  I have stage 4 melanoma.  Will it end in death?  Who knows?  I hope not, but I feel that realistically the answer is just as close to "yes" as it is to "no".  If I answers yes, a pop up message says……we strongly encourage you to contact a local Social Security office at your earliest opportunity. Even if you do not finish your appliction today, please contact us anyway…… That kind of makes me think that they are asking if I have an illness where there is no chance of survival.   No is probably the correct answer but if I'm wrong in the interpretation, it could hurt my chance of getting approved.  Wondering if anyone on here has filled out an application recently and been approved.  If so, how did you answer that question?

Thanks in advance!

Viewing 6 reply threads
    • Replies
        miaka618
        Participant

You might need to call them to clarify. According to SSA.gov you will qualify for SSD regardless. Here is a link to the conditions that automatically qualify.

https://www.ssa.gov/disability/professionals/bluebook/13.00-NeoplasticDiseases-Malignant-Adult.htm#13_29

Good luck!

kst
          Participant

Stage 3c and stage 4 melanoma automatically qualifies for the "Compassionate Allowances" fasttrack SSDI.  All you need is your  MyChart with the diagnosis and doctors contact info.  Bring this to the local Social Security office and they will help you complete all required forms according to their website.

https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0423022810

gmschmidt
              Participant

Yeah, I've heard and read that stage 4 melanoma automatically qualifies, but I still can't complete the application without answering that question yes or no.  I spoke to an attorney about them filling it out, and they said I didn't need them.   They suggested I do it on line though as opposed to going in, I can't remember why.  On-line is much more conveinent for me anyway.  I guess I'll go ahead and call SSA Monday.  I just thought maybe someone in the same situation as me might have just filled out an on-line app and would know the answer.  The last time I called the SSA the wait time was 90 minutes.  smiley   

Thanks

gmschmidt
                Participant

When you say all you need is MyChart, do you mean you pulled it up for them on a phone or computer or did you try to print something out.  I found a link on "my chart" to download records which I did but it's a zip file.  I tried to extract the files (which I have done before) and it says their extracted, but they aren't.  Also its a SDMF file.  ?

kst
                  Participant

My doc advised that if I applied for SSDI to print off documents from MyChart that included diagnosis, tests performed, and his contact info.  Once you drop these off at the SS office they will contact the doctor apparently and confirm information.

Johnjk04
                  Participant

My opinion : check yes – go down to the office and get it moving quickly.

GreggL
                    Participant

Absolutely check yes. Is it going to end in death? We sure hope not and we'll do everything we can to fight and live as long as possible but they go by statistics and 6-10 months isn't good. That was my prognosis in Feb 2016 when I officially became stage IV. I'm sure prognosis wise nowadays it's better but these immunotherapies are so new they probably don't have alot of good information on it. I'm still here and plan to be for a long time but that doesn't change anything with SSDI. Also, there is usually a 6 month waiting period for SSDI but with stage IV cancer they expedite it for you. That's probably why they said come in as soon as possible. Good luck. Gregg

MelanomaMike
                      Participant

Hi, i did a "Phone" interview, i set up a time for them to call & they did, an alternative to Online or walking in, i did this on June 13th & all i ever hear since is quote:  "Its sitting on the desk in the office" unquote.

and like someone said here, us Stage 4 cases qualify as a "Compassionate Allowence" case wich means its "suppose" to "speed up" the paperwork {cuz we are considered terminal in a way} but, im going on "47" days and NOTHING!,  the SS Dept can take our hard earned money out of our checks each week but, when we need a little help with our finances that we PAID INTO! it just blows my mind…hopefully this wont happen to your case…best of luck Anonymouse…

dmarie
                        Participant

Husband applied for SSDI in April (dx 8/2017, stopped working 3/2018). Approved in mid-May, but will not receive payments until July 2018, (so 1st payment in August 2018). Even though it was approved quickly(ish), there is still a 6 month wait to receive benefits. 

gmschmidt
                          Participant

Thanks everyone.

Viewing 6 reply threads
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics